Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 19:29
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 265/230/170
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default muscle loss

hi folks,

how can i tell if i am loosing muscle and not fat? i do know that i am loosing fat , but what are the signs that i am loosing muscles?

right now my shoulder and legs are hurting and it not from exercise it been raining nite and day could not get out to walk

iyonna
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 04:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 268/185/145
BF:
Progress: 67%

hi iyonna,

try getting those muscles gently stretched, perhaps a little yoga, or just put on your fav cd and dance a bit. one of my friends, who is 80, puts on the music and dances for 20 minutes after lunch. needless to say, she never has had a weight problem and enjoyed her exercise.

my daughter found a walking friend and they mall walk. works for her.

soreness comes also from not drinking enough water. take care of yourself, use a heating pad, stretches, and if you can, get a massage.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 06:07
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Iyonna,

As long you're eating enough food and getting enough protein, you shouldn't be losing muscle. I don't know what could be causing the sorness, though. Maybe you did something strenuous and forgot? I do that all the time.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 06:35
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Some muscle aches and pains can be from a lack of something your body needs. Many people here take extra potassium--in the form of Nu-Salt or another salt substitute. Another supplement you may want to check out is a calcium/magnesium with a ratio of 2:1. I find I sleep very soundly taking the cal/mag and feel great. Nat and Doreen have the info about amounts you should be taking. Or, if you feel adventurous...check out this site's search icon at the top of the page and search for a post about potassium by doreenT, or about Calcium and magnesium by Natrushka. Before you know it, you'll be giving advice!

Elihnig
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 09:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

Perhaps you are achy because your body has gotten used to walking. Then when you don't, your body is telling you it is missing it. I would just do some stretching and toning on days you can't get out....I am no expert, but that makes sense to me.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 15:34
Registered Member

Plan: Protein diet
Stats: 155/155/118
BF:42% /42%/ 21%
Progress: 0%
Wink This might sound odd...

I saw that you put that it had been raining day and night there. Well when it rains here my and my husbands legs and arms get really achy and sometimes is unbearable. It only does it either before it rains or when there is going to be a major weather change. My husband use to think it was muscles growing, you know the pain you get when your muscles grew as a kid. Well he is past that age and I told him that it could be the weather. I guess it is the feeling older people get with arthritis. You feel like you worked out real hard when you haven't. Just my 2 cents
Also I didn't start having these paims til after my 3 boys were born. ??? But it always works like clock work...if I'm having those kind of pains I just wait a day or so and then there is a major weather change. If you have been injured in a certain area of your body you might hurt worse there. My husband hurts in his shoulder and knee because he broke or injured them long ago but only hurts when the weather is about to change.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 11:57
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 265/230/170
BF:
Progress: 37%

HAPPY 4th OF JULY TO EVERYONE

thanks to u all for replying to my post, my legs are feeling much better the pain is gone,it is still raining so i am now walking the stairs at work,4 flights of stairs,5 times up and 5 times down 3 nites a week , i am also taking extra supplements,now i need to work on my shoulder pain

thanks for the support