Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 03:37

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Talking My New Project - YOUR INPUT NEEDED

OK, I am thinking of doing a new book. I am thinking of calling it "THE CKD HANDBOOK ", and here is what I plan to cover in it:

(1) Basic CKD info (like CKD 101)
(2) Plan Comparisons (Lyle's CKD vs. Body Opus vs. Anabolic Diet)
(3) Calorie Intake/Nutrient Ratio Chart
(4) Sample Menus
(5) CKD friendly supplements/reviews
(6) CKD-workouts/variations
(7) Tricks to get into ketosis faster LEGALLY
(8) Fat Burning Tricks (newest research, etc.)

I am sure I will add more to it, but that is the list I came up with at first.

I am asking EVERYONE who is part of this forum to give input and let me know what YOU would like to see covered in a book about CKDs.

Thanks in advance for your input!

-- dan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 10:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/206/185
BF:
Progress: 70%

Sounds great so far. Put me down for a copy when it's ready.

Bill
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 10:33
Registered Member

Plan: L/C, personal plan
Stats: 240/155/148 Female 66.5
BF:23.5%
Progress: 92%
Default Hi TD

Great idea, is it gonna be an E book or hard copy?

I would like to see some info on how to get off the CKD safely and then if not at desired goal at 12 weeks, when is a safe time to get back into the CKD.

Menus are a great idea.

In addition, I would like to see that the carb up phase is addressed to assure the average low carber that the carb up, if properly followed, is a temp weight gain. This "fear" is coming up on another bb. The concern also is that the carb monster will grab hold and not let go after the carb up. I realize that this comes down to self control but perhaps you could elaborate on this?

Also, can you touch base on what will happen, if anything, if you go over the recommended protein or fats?

Wow, I have only been on this 2 weeks and I am full of in put! lol
What the heck is gonna happen after a month? Sorry about the long post!

If I have any more "Advise" , I will share!

#4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 11:31

Plan: BFL
Stats: 202/190/170
BF:28%
Progress: 38%

Success Stories!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 13:33
Registered Member

Plan: Modified 'BODYOPUS'
Stats: 238/212/200
BF:22%/11%/7%
Progress: 68%

A sample carb-up menu/meal plan would be ideal. This way- the reader will have something to follow to the "T" ...avoiding the possibility of taking in the "wrong" kinds of carbohydrates at certain times (make sure to start with high GI---then go with lower GI).
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 14:01

Default thanks!

Quote:
I would like to see that the carb up phase is addressed to assure the average low carber that the carb up, if properly followed, is a temp weight gain

This info can be found in CKD101, and, if you ordered the book (Metabolism: Tips and Tricks), it is also addressed in the brief CKD portion of that book.

Thanks for the input so far everyone!

Yes, the menus will be for both keto phase and carb phase. And, as CKD guidelines dictate, I will show how to use the high-GI at first and then go to lower-GI as the days go on.

With that in mind, I will now add lists of "high-GI" foods, and "low-GI foods" so that people can choose their own. Good tip, Zeus.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 14:01

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

How about a newbie section for getting started. Mainly focus on us out of shape, over weight, middle age people like myself

Actually Dan it sounds great so far
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 14:41

Default more ....

Quote:
Great idea, is it gonna be an E book or hard copy?

I was thinking hard-copy since it will be lengthy. Do you prefer e-books or hard-copy? I do sell some of my reports via e-book, and all of my members at my site have access to e-versions of all of my programs.

Quote:
I would like to see some info on how to get off the CKD safely and then if not at desired goal at 12 weeks, when is a safe time to get back into the CKD.

Good one. There is so much info that I take for granted. Yes, having that sort of info in the book would make alot of sense, and is easily included. I will include sample menus for that transition phase as well.

Quote:
Also, can you touch base on what will happen, if anything, if you go over the recommended protein or fats?

I will address this in the book since it is a concern, but the short answer is if you eat too many calories (total for day), be it protein, fats, whatever it will stall progress.

Now, if you are within your caloric range and you alter the ratios, excess protein will be used for energy by the body, and eating more than the reccomended fat will probably put you deeper into ketosis, or be used for energy. I find it hard to eat THAT much fat though. LOL.

I will be more long winded, thorough, and scientific in my response in the book.

Quote:
Sorry about the long post!

No need to apologize. It was all good. I need this kind of input/feedback to see what the needs are for people out there. I having been doing CKDs for so long, I take things as second nature.

Thanks Chantel.

SUCCESS STORIES! I would LOVE to include them, but I always got the feeling that they took away from the credibilty of plans nowadays since EVERYONE is using them, and most supplement companies are doctoring the photos.

I have a small collection of e-mail testimonials, as well as some clients who I have pictures of who have used a CKD (in conjuction with my personal training) and have gotten great results!

I suppose I could add a section at the end with the testimonials/photos, eh?

Thanks Smasterson!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 14:58
Registered Member

Default E books

I like E books because I am impatient! lol but it is nice to have a hard copy for easier reading. So if it is a lengthy book, my vote goes for hard-copy.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 18:42
Registered Member

Question

So. . . . how much is this "gem" going to cost?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 04:33

Default ???

How much is it worth to ya? LOL.

I was thinking in the $20 range, but I haven't even started writing yet. Still gathering ideas to create my outline, then I can start reseraching the things people want to see, testing products (rating insulin mimickers, fat burners, proteins, etc) ... blah blah blah.

It will be well worth the money.

Cost is always an issue, since printing and shipping costs are atl least half of my overhead. If I did an e-book, it would be half the cost, but I am not sure if the majority of the people want an e-book.

I suppose I could offer BOTH, eh? LOL.

Once completed, I intend to seek full publishing of this, since it will be a completely orginal work. Maybe you'll see me on Amazon.com ... LOL. Nice to dream anyway.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 21:41
Registered Member

Talking

Once you're done with the "THE CKD HANDBOOK "; why don't you ...uhh...give me a free copy so...that...I can proof-read it for you...yeah, proof-read it.

Last edited by Zeus : Fri, Jun-21-02 at 10:34.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 10:05
Registered Member

Post Just another thought

Hi Dan,
When you write this book, I would not post too much info on it, be stingy with the specifics like Lyle did. That way when a person gets it, he doesn't feel like he is getting repeat info that might be shared on this bb. The book will be a new reading experience - I am not sure if I am making any sense or not but Lyle is pretty determined to say "buy the book" for details. Don't wanna give away the farm sort of speak.

What ya ' think? I am interested in seeing how you pull together the things mentioned above. I really got a lot out of Lyle's book and would have felt there wasn't anything more to write about if the other topics mentioned above were covered! I know, narrow minded!

When I read over some of the archives (http://www.solid.net/lowcarb/lylemcd/) there are a lot of good topics. I would look to see what pops out at you and maybe cover those areas.

Another thing, I suggest a hard copy now, Why? Cuz it is easy to share with others when it is e book! I mean, after all that hard work, you wanna make some cash right? Just a thought.

C ya!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 10:25
Registered Member

Default Why didn't this bump to the top?

hmmmm?
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jul-06-02, 10:29

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:

Chantel-
I agree but only to an extent. Dan gives away a lot of free advice here b/c this board is so good to us. It is only natural that some of the things he talks about here are also going to be in his book.

Take his last book for example. A lot of the info in it is on this board but there is also much more to it that is not included here. The first chapter alone makes it all worth the money!

Dan-
I think the advice here has been good about topics to include in the next book. Keep the ideas coming!

And Zeus---
It is my job to get the free copy and do the proofreading!!