Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 10:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/224.4/180 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default I haVe Question about Carbolite bars...

I had a conversation with Terridoodle earlier, we discussed carbolite bars having 4 servings. I have some left, and was looking it says serving 1oz. 28g and it does not say anywhere that it has more than 1 serving it just says serving size 1 bar 1oz.28g
it also says total carbs 15g and then it has 0.7g fiber and 13g malitol and then says 1.3g net effective carbs. I hope someone can tell me, is it okay to eat these in moderation? I dont want to mess up.... Melameter.... I bought these at Walgreens.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 11:17
Registered Member

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 146/133/130
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi Malameter!

We were discussing the same thing this morning in this thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=47990

I too was eating them occasionally, thinking b/c Atkins promoted them and sold them on his website, that they were safe to eat.

As it turns out, many have found out there are hidden carbs in them and that they were sold, not for our welfare, but for the Almighty Dollar!

I watch very carefully what I eat, and for this to be falsely advertised by a person I put my trust in makes me angry.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 12:29

Stats: 228/224.4/180 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default That is terrible!!!!

That is soooo bad. I think I am going to start eating only what I fix myself. I am always worried when I eat all that prepared stuff if it is what I think it is. And I think to be on the safe side I will not eat the carbolite bars or any other for that matter. I wish too that they had to list the real carb count I have heard that if it is less than 1 they can list 0. I always try to check it out in my carb counting book.......
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 12:49
Registered Member

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 146/133/130
BF:
Progress: 81%
Angry Carbolite products

Melameter:

I agree with you. I checked out some of those other low carb products, but for all I know, they are loaded with hidden carbs too, I don't care now who is promoting the product.

I too will just stick to cooking and eating "real" food, there sure is an abundance of it! I love to cook and find new ways to make what I can eat, even better.

Well, it was a good lesson learned and I'm glad I learned it after eating only 3 of those bars. This is why I like this forum so much, because I do learn from others.

#5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 13:26

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Don't eat those bars...

That would be my humble advice...

Check them out using the HIDDEN CARB COUNTER and see for yourself...

And molital is notorious for causing gas and diarhea...

You would be hard pressed to find a success story around here that includes those bars. That alone should tell you something...

Good luck & good health!

Donald

Last edited by DWRolfe : Wed, Jun-19-02 at 15:40.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 13:54

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

heheh Ya know....around May 2001 (last year) when I first started Atkin's I bought one of those bars to try out.

I think I got the almond/chocolate flavor. It tasted nothing like almonds nor chocolate. In fact it tasted like a bunch of chemicals. The most foul taste. That was the first and last bar I ever bought.

Now if I get a sweet tooth I make my own darned chocolate from bakers unsweetened, heavy cream, splenda and a little vanilla.
(sometimes I even add unsweetened coconut) ANNNNNNNNNND I know for a fact those puppies only have 4 carbs and nothing hidden about it!

#7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 23:33

Stats: 251.5/231.5/150
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Recipe for this chocolate?

Is this recipe for your chocolate posted in the recipe section...I couldn't find it...

If so, let me know where, if not...can you give the measurements?

Sounds

Thanks,
sammidawnm
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 01:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default heya

There are 2 places to look for recipes, here, Sammidawn.

There's the LowCarb Kitchen Forum of course, check out the Sweet Treats section and you will find all kinds of basic chocolate recipes and more.

Then there's the original recipes section, published on the website part (not the Forum), if you click on the LowCarb Recipes item on the orange menu bar above, it will take you to Karen's Gourmet (and are they ever great) recipe page, and at the top of that is a button marked Reader's Recipes that will take you to the original posted recipes of our members. There's a really nice-looking icon marked Dessert, so click on that. Of course, here's the shortcut but I thought you might want to know how to navigate there from here (and maybe others, too): http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/dessert.html.

You will see a variation of the famous "Lynne's Chocolate" on that page, using Splenda. A fine example of the proportions of a quick home-made chocolate fix, and a great place to start with adjusting proportions.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 08:35

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

i bought a dark chocolate carbolite bar and didn't see any false advertising on it. it says there is one carb per bar and states that there is zero sugar carbs. the one carb is coming from something else.