Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 20:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Sugar Busters
Stats: 196/163.5/150
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Meat

Can someone please let me know if there is a limit to the amount of meat we can eat. I am staring induction tomorrow. I bought some little bitty ribeye's for lunches and lots of tuna and salmon in a can. I also bought some ground meat and chicken breasts. Now, I was wondering how many times a day I can eat meat. I am not a big meat eater to begin with, but I figure meat can fill me up. I get hungry very easily. Also, can I use relish for deviled eggs, or just mayo. And is there a limit to the amount of eggs you can eat. I am so confused about the amounts and portions I guess. If someone can clear it up for me or point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 04:16

Plan: protein power
Stats: 168.8/157.9/130 Male 5 foot 2 inches
BF:33.1/27/20
Progress: 28%
Thumbs up Protein

Hi there,

as you are about to start on induction I would say that you can eat as much protein as you like , that includes meat /fish/chicken/eggs . You can eat it in any way you like as long as there is no bread crumbs for coating or sugar . Have your protein fried ,boiled , baked ,BBQ'd , deep fried and crumbed with low carb breading . If you have luncheon meats or sausages be aware of the carb content . Eat it any time you are hungry it is a great hunger reducer. Fat is also a great hunger reducer , eat it anytime . Be aware of cheese , 1 oz yellow cheese = 1 gram carbs.

During induction you can expect to loose at least 10% of your desired weight loss . From there on it slows down for most people and you may need to tweak the food ratios to continue to loose .

Do yourself a favour and read Atkins . I prefer Protein Power because it makes you work out exactly how much protein you need . This is based on Lean Body Mass and your level of activity .

Do be aware that excess dietry protein can be converted into glucose .

For your induction ,just enjoy yourself and watch fat just melt away , but thereafter you may need to tweak the ratios as I said .

Remember not more than 20g carbs and remember to drink till you float .

You may feel dizzy ,headachy , out of sorts in the beginning , but do remember also to take your supplements ( multivits, fibre , potassium, magnesium, calcium , these are all very important and the microelements will prevent you from getting leg cramps, dizziness and sleep disturbance )

Best of luck and let me know how you are doing

Rob

Last edited by Rob : Wed, Jun-19-02 at 04:25.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 04:58

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: Meat

Quote:
Originally posted by Texasgal
Can someone please let me know if there is a limit to the amount of meat we can eat. I am staring induction tomorrow. I bought some little bitty ribeye's for lunches and lots of tuna and salmon in a can. I also bought some ground meat and chicken breasts. Now, I was wondering how many times a day I can eat meat. I am not a big meat eater to begin with, but I figure meat can fill me up. I get hungry very easily. Also, can I use relish for deviled eggs, or just mayo. And is there a limit to the amount of eggs you can eat. I am so confused about the amounts and portions I guess. If someone can clear it up for me or point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

As Dr Atkin's would say....You are no longer on a quantitative diet. Therefore you should adjust the quantities to your appetite. When hungry, eat the amount that makes you feel satisfied but not stuffed. When not hungry, eat nothing or just a small prtein snack to accompany your vitamins.

You are, however on a qualitative diet. This means that if the food is not on your diet, you are to have absolutely NONE of it.

That was taken from the page right before the induction list. So eat as much as sates your appetite but does not stuff you.

Dill pickle relish is fine in the deviled eggs. Sweet relish is out. No limit on the amount of eggs one can eat either. Just make sure you count the carbs on anything that doesn't come from a cow, pig, lamb, or chicken (fresh meat).

Rule of thumb is to eat 10 to 12 times your body weight in calories. So for you around 1900 or so. This will meet your BMR and prevent your body from thinking it is on a diet and go into starvation mode.

HTH
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 05:47
Registered Member

BF:

Thank for the great replies. I have read the Atkins book, three times. HEE. I just want to make sure that I do this right. I am determined to lose this weight. Today is day one for me. So wish me luck. thanks
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 06:12

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Default Re: Protein

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
Have your protein fried ,boiled , baked ,BBQ'd , deep fried and crumbed with low carb breading . If you have luncheon meats or sausages be aware of the carb content . Eat it any time you are hungry it is a great hunger reducer. Fat is also a great hunger reducer , eat it anytime . Be aware of cheese , 1 oz yellow cheese = 1 gram carbs.

Your not supposed to have BBQ sauce on induction or any kind of bread; low carb or not..

Also, yer better off not eating any kind of proccessed meats... Some ppl have problems with those.

And watch out for the eggs, they have carbs too.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 06:17
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks! I dont really plan on using ANY kind of sauce the first two weeks of this. I do like to marinate my steaks in Italian dressing though. Is that OK? I find it to give a great taste. Luncheon meats, I dont like them, so I dont have to worry about them. HEE. Thank you all!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 06:26

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

Hey italian dressing should be fine, just watch the carbs! And don't use low cal or low fat. They're the ones with the highest carbs anyways. lol Only salad dressing I think is carb free anyways is ceaser.

Good luck with induction
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 11:17
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile

Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see leafy greens, spinach, broccoli or other low-carb, fiber-rich vegetables mentioned anywhere in your grocery list. You are permitted up to 20g net carbs per day of these foods (ie, total carbs minus the grams of fiber, since fiber is not absorbed).

My suggestion is that you keep non-vegetable sources of carbs to a minimum .. eg .. coffee (even decaf has carbs!), cream and cheese, eggs have 0.6g each, powdered artificial sweeteners, sausages, bacon and the like have carbs, salad dressings etc etc etc ... and use up your carb budget mostly with green vegetables. That's just a suggestion though, and not written as a rule in Atkins book.

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 11:37
Registered Member

BF:

HEE! Sorry, I did buy brocolli and green beans and green salads. Just want to get the info on the meat, cuz they seem so much of a big food to eat. Wasn't sure of the quantities of them. Thanks
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 11:39
Forum Founder

BF:
Thumbs up

Cool!

Sounds like you're on the way to success!

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 11:40
Registered Member

BF:

I feel great. Just finished part of my lunch of tunafish and a little mayo and on with my salad now. Thanks for all the great tips and suport.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 11:45
Forum Founder

BF:
Talking LOL!

Even MORE cool ... that's what I had for lunch too

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 11:50

Plan: protein power
Stats: 168.8/157.9/130 Male 5 foot 2 inches
BF:33.1/27/20
Progress: 28%
Talking sauces

I never buy sauce,

I always make my own ketchup, vinaigrette ,ceaser and mayo so I know exactly what goes into them .

When I mean BBQ I dont mean smother with sauce ,I mean cook on open fire outside . It may be different in different countries

Rob
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 11:53
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Even MORE cool ... that's what I had for lunch too
hehe, great minds think alike. I feel very satiisfied.

Yes, I think that BBQ means different things in different countries. I have a friend in the UK and she gets so confused with my way of things and vise versa. It is great fun to talk to her. cant understand a word she says cuz of her accent, but it is fun.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 13:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Smile I LOVE MEAT

So happy you're ready to start a new WOE...

As my headline states, I love meat! In fact, now that I've been LCing for 6 months, I find I crave meat. that's right...meat!

I eat steak and burgers and sausage and bacon and chicken and fish and pork chops and roast beef and roast pork and turkey breast and ribs and....

You see what I mean?

I allow myself as much meat as I want. After just a little while, you won't want to eat more than you need. Your body will let you know when you've had enough.

Plus, I always cook more than I need for one meal. That way I have leftovers for lunches or for snacks. Rather than grabbing a cookie or a piece of cake, I have a slice of roast or whatever with some cheese and mayo. It fills me up and satisfies my urge for eats.

Good luck to you!

P.S. I had tuna for lunch today too! An entire large can!

Donald
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nopizza.jpg (1.4 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by DWRolfe : Wed, Jun-19-02 at 15:39.