Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 01:47

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Question When you guys on OWL cheat..

Aiight don't LIE! I know you've all atleast done it ONCE! lol

Sorry I think I asked this before but I couldn't find it..

But anyways, just wondering when you cheat do you usually go back to induction level for a couple of days to get back into ketosis or do you just keep going back on OWL..

I know Atkins says to go back to induction level for a few days I was just wondering if it makes that big of a difference in getting to ketosis faster..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 12:13

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

<grin> Cheat?? Who me??

Here's how it goes for me...

If I have a single high carb meal, I do not adjust the rest of my eating for the next couple of days, and I eat around 30 gm of carbs a day. Not truly induction, but not very high either, and I don't ever leave ketosis. When I do it that way, I consider it a Heller hour (CAD) and I don't feel I have 'cheated.'

If I have a whole day of high-carb eating, I go straight back to induction. It usually puts me back in ketosis by dinner of the induction day, but achieving fast ketosis is not why I do it. I do it because if I were to have a high carb day, followed by more of an OWL day I know I would be much more at risk for the "Oh, one bite won't hurt" kind of thinking that will lead me into a week long lapse (or more!)

Whether or not I consider a whole day of high-carb a 'cheat' depends on what triggered it. If it's my planned, CKD carb-up day, and I stuck to mostly wholesome, non-junk food, I don't feel I have cheated. (yes, I know, CKD is not Atkins, so Atkins purists can pretend they didn't see that )But if, say, I've had a totally snarly day at work ( I teach emotionally disturbed, assaultive adolescents and my head administrator has a bad case of rectal-cranial inversion) and I come home and do the pizza and ice-cream thing, then I consider it a cheat and I try to limit it to an hour or go straight back to induction as damage control.

I'd say to watch your results and make your own judgement. If your cravings are higher and you find yourself rationalizing this or that, or there's an effect on your weight loss that you don't like, go back to induction. If not, OWL should be fine.

Hugs!

Friday
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 14:08

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Cheat?

I found that if I even look at things with flour or sugar they give me migrains. Pretty much ended my cravings

What do you call cheating? Some have a daily carb allowance of 80 to 100 while others have 20 to 30.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 21:15

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

Thanks friday, that makes alot of sense

But eh guess I'm just gonna continue with OWl.. I cheated at night, I drank coke, ate a piece of cake.. and like a cup of icecream LoL oops
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 08:47

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

there is no such thing as cheating

that is, there is no such thing as cheating if you're eating healthily in order to improve your health (physical and mental).

This isn't a children's game, it's your life. As an adult, you make all your choices. If you eat crappy stuff and feel bad both physically and emotionally, and you learn from that experience to change what you eat, as AC did, then you're just living life well and learning. Making mistakes and learning is a good thing, not a bad thing.

If you cannot stop eating things you don't want to eat, if you hate yourself and your body, if you obsess on grams or calories or minutes of exercise, this is not health. This is sickness.

Overeaters Anonymous is a good place to start getting help--it's free and easy to find. For more privacy, many therapists specialize in eating disorders and body image problems. It's worth it to get this help--you're worth it.