Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 20:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/196/130
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default New Member & Determined To Lose

Hello Everyone -

My name is Rita. I am new to the group and need to lose about 70 lbs. From 200 to 130.

I wrote once before, but I didn't really know what I was doing and started in the middle of someone elses thread. I think I got it right this time. Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

Anyway, I started on 6/5/02 after trying a low fat diet with little success. I tried doing low carb before about 4 years ago, lost 10 pounds and stopped. I determined to go all the way this time. I only gained weight after my son was born (11 years ago). About time I did something about it, huh?

When I started on 6/5/02 I was 200 lbs and now I'm 196. I would have been lower by now but was having a problem with eating high sodium meats. Now I know better and I am trying to stay away from that stuff. I realize that my body must be sensitive to sodium and retaining water so now I know I have to watch it.

If anyone has the same problem please let me know if you have any tips or advice. I would really appreciate it. Thank you to those who have already responded.

Good luck to all of you.

Rita ......
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 21:38
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile

Hi Rita, welcome!

You've started well, good on you!

Rita, have a good look around the forum and you'll find a lot of help here. You can start with "Low Carb Tips" on the orange bar at the top of the screen. Another great source of info is the "Hot Links" sticky in the Newbies Forum.

Good luck to you, matey, and keep up the good work!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 22:32
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up

Hi Rosebud,

Thanks for replying. Also thanks for the tip. I will look through the different threads to see what else I can learn.

I'm so anxious to see results, but I know it will take time. I will be 40 this year and it's time I started being a little selfish and start paying more attention to myself. For the past 12 years I've been spending time trying to please everyone else, my son (age 11), my husband and my employer. Now it's my turn.

I know I can do it.

Thanks again.

Rita
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 11:01

Stats: 205/196/135
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi Rita

Your doing Great

I'm fairly new here, and I've found alot of help and support here, and I hope you do as well.

I've found that keeping my journal here also helps me to keep track of my progress, as well as a guide for myself. Other members can also check your progress through it and offer advice.

Keep Going Forward

Joy
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 11:18

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Rita!

Determination is a good thin! Also doing things for yourself is great, sometimes we have to be a little selfish, and this is one of those times.

Good luck on your WOE!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 11:39
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Joy,

Thanks for the advice about starting a journal here. I'm not exactly sure how I would do that.

Where do I find the journals?

Rita.......
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 11:42
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Talon,

Thanks for inspirational words. I really need it. How long have you been doing LC and what plan are you doing?

Your success is very encouraging.

Rita........
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 11:49

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Rita,

I am on Atkins and I started January 20th of this year. Not only have I lost about 40 pounds, I have more energy and I feel just oh so much better. Whichever plan you end up with, make sure to take a multivitamin everyday!

On the bottom of each post, you will see a line of little icons, one of those is is "profile", if you click on it, it will pop up a detail of what each user has decided to share with the world - you might want to check it out, a few of the things that could be listed is a list of books the person has read, how long they have been LC'ing, height and a few other interesting tidbits.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 13:07

Stats: 228/224.4/180 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi Rita

I have been on Atkins diet for 45 days, I just love it. I know you will do well.
You really should start you a journal though, it is a great help, exspecially if something is not going right, you can go back and figure out what you have done wrong or right for that matter. If you are drinking enough water etc... I am new here also so most certainly no pro with advise, but I keep my journal here on the home page if you scroll down you will see journals and they keep them according to your initial, it is a very convenient way to keep up with what you are eating.
When I logged on here, I was eating a carbolite bar that I thought had 1.3 carbs, come to find out it was per serving and had 4 servings. I just did not pay attention, but thanks to this site I am no longer munching on them.
I just wanted to say welcome and you will have alot of support here, it has helped me alot
Later.... Melameter
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 16:05
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of your advice. I will never take it for granted.

It's the weekend, this is where I have the most problems. When I'm at work I am too busy to think about food, but the weekends are always more challenging.

I did a workout and I will be doing another workout later. So now I am at the computer to write down my thoughts.

I never really eat any salads, only vegetables. What can I put on my salads that is legal and about how much can I have?

Thanks,

Rita.....
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 17:39
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Rita, at the top of this thread there's a "sticky" that gives info on how to start a journal.

I look forward to reading yours!

Rosebud
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 18:19

Stats: 228/224.4/180 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Mel Again....

Rita I noticed you are doing atkins and wanted to tell you, as for your question about salad.
I have the Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution book and it will tell you all about the acceptable foods you can eat, has a carb counter and all. It says you can have 3 cups of lettuce a day, or two cups of lettuce and 1 cup of other acceptable veggies.
I usually make my salad with lettuce say a cup, a little celery which is very low in carbs, some green onion, a little sprinkle of grated cheese, a little diced cucumber,a tiny bit of cilantro and sometimes a little bit of tomatoe, (you have to watch out and not eat to many tomatoes, they are higher in carbs). Makes a pretty good salad. If you have the book, you can look into the back and see the carb count on vegatables and figure out what you can put into your salad and still keep the carbs low. A little more of this and a little less of that.... If you dont have the book, I know they have them on ebay.com Happy dieting.....Mel