Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 07:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/198/135
BF:?
Progress: 31%
Talking Has Anyone been pregnant and lost weight?

Hey Everyone how's it going today?
Yesterday I wrote a message and I got some helpful replies, thanks you to Slim and Barb

I still would like to know though, has anyone been pregnant and either maintained or lost weight through there pregnancy. I know, it's not a good idea to try to lose weight when you are pregnant. I wouldn't want to do anything to my baby.
It's weird because, when I was pregnant last time my doctor told me since i was over weight, I didn't have to gain that 15-20 people normally put on. Of course I gained a whooping 40. (I eat really bad) when I was 7 mth preg, my doctor told me to cut out the carbs, she actually said carb's do nothing for your baby, its the protein they need. So I was like, "crap, I could have been doing this through my whole pregnancy and not gained anything."
Anyway, after the baby, I just couldn't get my self motivated to lose weight. My husband was like, "Hun, ahhh, weren't you planing to lose weight after the baby" now its eight mths later and I am still over weight only losing the initial baby weight - 38 pounds. I am soooooo depressed. Now I might be pregnant again. UGH!
So I really need people to help me out here. Please tell me anything you've heard about woman who are pregnant and are overweight. I think I can do some lite Atkins, without the whole ketosis thing, right?
Right now I am doing the intro (starting today). If I find out I am preg, I will stop.

So what do you guys think? Can I lose weight or maintain during preg?

And here is a question I asked last time, but I don't think anyone answered me so here its is again.

What is the most weight possible to lose during intro?
I think 15lbs. What do you guys think?

Thanks for ready my rambling, sorry just desperate for knowledge.

Tima

Last edited by nicolejoy : Mon, Jun-03-02 at 07:47.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 08:29
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/239/234 Female 5' 5" and a half!
BF:
Progress: 76%

Do not go on induction if you are pregnant. Even Dr. Atkins doesn't recommend that.

I was exactly your weight with baby #1! 210 pounds. I was told several times by my doctor that I didn't have to gain the 15 - 20 pounds and that some have even maintained or lost (VERY LITTLE) while pregnant by eating sensibly. Which is what we want to do during preg. anyway for our baby.

I had gest. diabeties with baby #2. 1st baby I gained 45 pounds! 2nd baby I only gained 20 pounds. (Okay...still not stellar.) And the 20 came off in 1 week. In 3 weeks I was 10 pounds lighter than I was before I got pregnant. (Of course, I gained it back by not sticking to a plan unfortunately!) But my point is this...I did MUCH better the second time. In the end I weighed less than I did before pregnancy. Therefore, I did "something" right. Plus, my daughter was fine...no problems from the gest. diabeties. Thank God!

With baby #1 there was no special eating plan...I just tried to watch it. But failed miserably. Baby #2 I began an eating plan at week #25 (a little over half way in the pregnancy.) Now if I would have been following a plan the whole entire pregnancy....who know's how much better I would have done! The doctor told me that I "have" to follow a plan from week 1 to the end with baby #3 since I had gest. diabeties before. MOre harm is done to the baby the 1st few weeks of pregnancy with gest. diabeties than towards the end.

So, my advice is to definitely NOT do induction!!!! I did read someone's post that LC'd while pregnant, but truthfully...I don't see it as necessary and it's not worth any risk to your child. Ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician who specializes in pregnancy food plans. Follow their program to a T and do light exercise. Keep yourself "in control!" And you may lose some weight, maintain, or gain minimal weight. But during that 9 months you will still be working on changing your WOE and you'll be ready to go right to induction (if you are not breast feeding). More than likely the weight will come right off plus some.

I hope that helps. I truly understand how you feel. I want a third baby sooo bad, but I truly dread going off LC and I dread possibly gaining ANY weight. But keep focused on the best part...you are pregnant, and in a few months you'll be holding a beautiful new precious baby. That's very exciting!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 09:56
Registered Member

Thank you for the reply. Your 100% right. Ok, so i will just watch my eating untill i find out for sure no introduction yet untill i find if i am preg or not.UGH!

I hate being over weight!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 08:41

Stats: 238/233/145
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hi Nicolejoy!

So...have you found out if you are pregnant again? It looks like we have the same weightloss goals If you're not pregnant, we can go on hardcore atkins together I've gained LOTS of weight while I was pregnant too.. gained over 95lbs (yikes!!) first time around, but managed to lose 45lbs (thats including a 9lbs baby!) before managing to get pregnant again. Then I gained 45lbs the 2nd time, which is better but not great. I'm also 5'7", and "big boned" like you. When I weighed 165lbs (lowest I've been in my adult life), I wore a size 9. Right now, I'm wearing a sz20...not good... I've lost weight on Atkins before so i know it works. I just have to stick with it this time. I've been on it for a week, and so far so good. Anyway, just in case you're pregnant, here is an article I found on the Atkins site:

http://atkinscenter.com/helpatkins/...mens/index.html

Hope this helps
Sunny

By the way, where in NY are you? I'm in Bronx, NYC...home of the Yankees
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 09:07
Registered Member

Hey Sunny.

I would love to buddy up with you. I will find out if i am pregnant next week,when i go to the doctorsoffice,I ever trust the home tests.
If i am not preg, lets go hard core together. We probably could relate to eachother alot.

For the last two day i have been eating ok, not too strict. I can't wait to go full force.
I'm going to put you on my buddy list.
Talk to ya soon

Nicole
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1010021.jpg (139.8 KB, 144 views)
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 11:26
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

You can read my journal if you want to see how I'm doing...

I'm no low carb queen (anymore), but I'm doing the best I can.

One thing to know is that carbs are addicting! Your body tells you strange things when you're pregnant and it's hard to tell what is real.

You shouldn't hard core it at any rate...but cutting out flour and sugar are certainly doable...if you can resist them.

Beth
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 22:41

BF:

Hey Nicole,
Nice picture, you look beautiful! I am posting a pre-babies picture of me and my hubby (hope I did it right).
I had a bad (diet) day yesterday.... I went over to my parents house cuz they wanted to see the baby. They don't know I'm on Atkins, and I don't plan on telling them unless I want to hear them nagging on and on. My parents (especially my mom) thinks meats/spices/"hard" foods (such as carrots, unless it's cooked) are bad for you, and a healthy diet should consist of lots of fruits, vegetables, and carbohydrates. Anyway, while I was there, I HAD to eat bread, rice and fruits and stuff..... I felt so bloated and yucky this morning. Anyway, I'm back on my diet today. Hopefully, yesterday's binge didn't do too much damage...
Ok, well, I gotta go and do some cleaning.
Talk to you later,
Sunny
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 22:42

BF:

my picture didn't post.... let me try again..
Attached Images
File Type: gif joesun.gif (81.8 KB, 131 views)
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 07:43
Registered Member

Hey sunny, how's it going?

Wow! You look like my best friend from high school. Very Pretty..

I know how you feel about telling people that your on the Atkins diet. The first time around, i would here a mouth fulll from my family all the time.

Anyway, So i haven't been very good either. I've been eating way less then normal, but i've also been eating Cabs. UGH! I hate those evil carbs, they taste so damn good!
Every morning I start off eating eggs and i'm like "OK, I can do this." But then lunch comes and i figure a yogurt can't really hurt, by dinner i'm ready to eat a bagel...UGH!

I want to go hard core so badly,but i'm afraid by what everyone had said about being preg and doing Atkins intro.
Well, i'll find out next week..

By the way how old are your kids?

MY baby is 8mth her name is Asia, and i have two older - Paige 8 & P.J. 7.
They are my step children, whom i have raised and loved as if i gave birth to them.

Here are a pic of my daughters
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1010100.jpg (62.9 KB, 117 views)
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 15:23

BF:

Hi Nicole,
Awwww how adorable!! I'll try to post a picture of my daughters soon... I have to get a scanner first though.
So how's everything going for you today? I'm sooooo tired..... the baby kept me up all night, so I only had 4 hrs of sleep. Since both my kids fell asleep just now, I guess I'll take a nap after I finish writing this.
Anyway, until you find out whether you're pregnant or not, you can do Sugar Busters diet. It's safe to do while pregnant and much healthier, too. It's basically cutting out sugars and all "white" foods, like white bread, white rice, white pasta.... and replacing them with whole grains (like wheat/rye bread, brown rice, wheat pasta...i think you can have oatmeal too). You can also have fruits. My mother-inlaw started SB couple of months ago after finding out she had type 2 diabetes, and went from size 14 to 9 in 2 months. I've tried too, but I find it more difficult to have certain carbs than no carbs at all. If I allow myself to have brown rice, I eventually go crazy and binge on ice cream, cookies, pizza, bagel....EVERYTHING!!!. So it seems easier for me to abstain from all carbs altogether.
As you know, although losing weight shouldn't be a focus, if you're overweight while you're pregnant but eat right, you'll most likely lose some weight, and it wont be bad for the baby.
Anyway, I guess you'll find out soon
Ok, it's time for my nap.. zzzzzz
I'll speak to you soon,
Sunny
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 06:16
Registered Member

Default I'm not Pregnant.

I can Go on a diet now Hard Core!!!!!

Ok today is June 15,2002 and i will be starting my diet,
My goal is to atleast lose 30 pound before the summer is over. I have a ton of cute summer clothes before i got pregnant and i want to be able to wear them by August. So Sunny do you want to buddy up and do this together. I'm not sure if i am 210 anymore actually, i believe i am probably a bit more. I don't want to weight my self though. I am going to messure my weight lose by the way my clothes fit, atleast until i feel i am at the under 200 mark.

ok i will talk to you soon
bye

Nicole
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 18:16

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Remember that a goal is something you shoot at. It isn't something you MUST attain. You are still a success if you keep to the plan and get well towards the goal. Your body may have other ideas about how fast you will lose. All you can control is that ALL the food you eat is on the LC plan. Everything else is garbage.

Take joy more from the changing fit of you clothes than from the numbers on that "not legal for commerce because I'm so inaccurate" metal monster in the bathroom.

All the best.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 01:00

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Default Re: I'm not Pregnant.

Quote:
Originally posted by nicolejoy
I can Go on a diet now Hard Core!!!!!

Ok today is June 15,2002 and i will be starting my diet,
My goal is to atleast lose 30 pound before the summer is over. I have a ton of cute summer clothes before i got pregnant and i want to be able to wear them by August. So Sunny do you want to buddy up and do this together. I'm not sure if i am 210 anymore actually, i believe i am probably a bit more. I don't want to weight my self though. I am going to messure my weight lose by the way my clothes fit, atleast until i feel i am at the under 200 mark.

ok i will talk to you soon
bye

Nicole

Aww your daughters are so cute! And omg how the hell do you weigh 210? lol

Anyways, just wanted to wish ya good luck with induction