Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 10:15
Registered Member

Plan: Under 25 carbs/day
Stats: 151/136/135
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default 2 Wks. into BFL & Feeling Bloated!

Okay, guys, it's me again with the questions. I have been doing LC for 5 1/2 months, and BFL for 2 1/2 weeks. When doing just LC, I found my stomach rather flat in the morning, which I enjoyed. I was doing under 30 carbs per day at that point. Since starting BFL, it seems like my tummy is pooched out more in the mornings. I have of course upped the carbs to between 30 and 60...do ya'all think that could be the cause? I've also upped my water from 8 glasses per day to 12. I know the rule is not to judge your body and/or results so soon into the program, and I understand that; but what's up with the bloatedness? All opinions and theories are welcomed. Thanks.

Jenny
Age 33
5'5
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 10:24

Plan: my own
Stats: 164/125/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, I'm far from being an expert, but I guess it would very much depend on what the carbs you are eating actually are. I know that if I eat even a bite of wheat or other grains, I blow up like a bull frog...
What are you eating?
Doods.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 10:25

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

What have you increased your carbs with, Jenny? Intollerances to certain foods (dairy and nuts come to mind) are not uncomon when you add some foods back.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 10:26

BF:

Great minds Nat, great minds.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 10:52
Registered Member

BF:

Nat and Doodle, thanks for your replies. The following is what I eat pretty much every day:

Meal 1 (7:30 a.m.):
protein shake with 1/4 cup non-fat yogurt

Meal 2 (10:00 a.m.):
1/2 package sliced turkey & 1 low-carb tortilla

Meal 3 (12:00 p.m.):
protein shake with 1 cup soy milk

Meal 4 (2:00 p.m.):
5 large strawberries & 1/2 cup cottage cheese

WORKOUT AT 5 P.M. (can't do it in the morning)

Meal 5 (6:00 p.m.):
7 egg whites
banana (on weight training days) or 5 large strawberries (on non-weight training days)
2 cups steamed broccoli w/lemon juice

Meal 6 (8:30 p.m.):
protein shake with 1/4 cup non-fat yogurt

12 cups water per day

Also add in 2-3 cups of coffee with a bit of fat-free non-dairy creamer.

And add in a tablespoon of olive oil (straight from the spoon, yuck!)

So you see, you guys, I'm not eating any bread or pasta or potatoes or anything. I've definitely got the LC theme in mind. I'm not going over 60 carbs per day, and the carbs I'm getting are the "good" kind, at least I thought. Any ideas?

Thanks, Jenny.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 10:56

BF:

Doods, I totally missed your post right before mine! LOL

Jenny, a few more questions:

Are any of those foods new ? Were you eating any of them before BFL - during just LC?

Are you at all hungry eating these foods?

Do you know you fat/protein/carb numbers?

When do you feel the bloating the most? In the mornings? or is it all the time?

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 11:30
Registered Member

BF:

Nat (Natrushka is a fabulous name, by the way!),

The only thing that's really new from LC to BFL is the fruit, and I don't think I'm eating that much of it. Dr. Hussman recommends that a high glycemic carb be eaten right after weight lifting, so that's why I eat a banana 3 times a week. But on the cardio days, I eat strawberries, which are very low in carbs.

I feel a little bloated all the time, but I really notice it in the mornings, primarily because I am used to having a pretty flat tummy in the mornings on LC and now it's noticably pooched.

I'm not real hungry, no; the only time I feel any hunger pangs are between 2 and 6 p.m. when I don't eat 'cause I work out at 5 p.m. and want to do so on an empty stomach. But even then, I'm not ravenously hungry. It amounts to approximately 1300-1350 calories per day.

Don't know the carb/protein/fat counts. I should probably look into that, huh?

Any further theories? Thanks! Jen.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 11:49

BF:

The 'tummy bloating' is what scream 'intollerance' to me. I would suggest eliminating one thing for a week or two and guaging your reactions. Start with the soy milk (soy is a common allergen). And tracking exact numbers for a few weeks would also be a good idea - you may be getting more than 60g of carbs a day (although it doesnt look like much more).

Are you losing inches? lbs?

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 11:53
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks, Nat. I don't know if I'm losing inches or pounds 'cause I'm scared to check either so soon into the program, for fear I'll be frustrated and lose my momentum! I told myself I wasn't going to measure or weigh anything until at least 4 weeks into it. I'll try eliminating the soy as suggested. I'll also try to start tracking my exact grams of carbs and protein. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the thought and suggestions!!

Jen
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 12:03

BF:

Could you possibly have Candida overgrowth? I ask because I have it, and fruit... even low glycemic strawberries, make me explode... Ick, just talking about it makes me imagine a smell in the air .
What Nat says makes sense.. Soy milk did that to me too...
Doods.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 12:08
Registered Member

BF:

Whoa, Doods, TMI, girlfriend! (too much information.....just kidding!) Hmmmmm, well, I haven't noticed an extra amount of "exploding" going on, but that's a good thought. What is candida overgrowth exactly? I think I'll try to exclude the strawberries and soy milk for the next week and see what happens. Thanks!

Jen
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 12:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by JennyAnkai
I'm scared to check either so soon into the program, for fear I'll be frustrated and lose my momentum

Jen, keep in mind that even if your measurements haven't changed much it would be due to an intollerance and once the offending substance has been eliminated you'll see your gains (and losses). The hard work you're doing now is paying off.

Nat