Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 04:37

Plan: My own
Stats: 235/186/135
BF:
Progress: 49%
Wink New Day, New Attitude, New Thread

RIGHT, LET'S BE POSITIVE HERE! I JUST FINISHED *HALF* OF A 20-MINUTE CARDIO WORKOUT. AFTER YESTERDAY, TAKING HALF-AN-HOUR TO DO WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN HALF OF A 15-MINUTE OXYCISE WORKOUT, I WAS FEELING INCREDIBLY SELF-PITYING AND SELF DAMNING HOW USEFUL IS ALL THAT NEGATIVITY?

TODAY I GOT UP, DRANK SOME WATER, LOOKED AT THIS FORUM AND DECIDED, RIGHT! CARDIO HERE I COME! ALL GEARED UP, I WENT THROUGH TO THE EXERCISE BIKE AND DID MY LEVEL 5, THEN LEVEL 6..HARDER, THEN LEVEL 7...PUSHING IT, THEN LEVEL 8...REALLY HARD, THEN LEVEL 9...AND MY LEGS PHYSICALLY STOPPED MOVING. THEY JUST WOULD NOT BUDGE. THEY WEREN'T SORE; THEY JUST LOCKED AND WOULD NOT GO *ANYWHERE*.

QUICK RETHINK, WHILE I CURSED MYSELF AND LOOSENED THE TENSION ON THE WHEEL UNTIL MY LEGS WERE ABLE TO MOVE AGAIN. BACK TO LEVEL 6, BREATHING *HARD*, AND REALISING THERE WAS NOY WAY IN HELL I WAS GOING TO MANAGE 20 MINUTES.

REVELATION SO WHAT? I WENT THROUGH LEVELS 7, 8, 9 AGAIN, THEN BACK DOWN TO 5, AND STOPPED. I DID *HALF* THE CARDIO WORKOUT. WHEN I GOT OFF THE BIKE, IT WAS HONESTLY ALL I COULD DO TO KEEP MY LEGS FROM COLLAPSING UNDER ME TO WALK TO THE NEAREST CHAIR. HOWEVER, I DID *NOT* FAIL BECAUSE I ONLY MANAGED HALF THE CARDIO; I DID WELL FOR TRYING IT AND DOING THAT MUCH

I NEED TO FIND THE BALANCE BETWEEN GIVING INTO MY M.S., AND GENUINELY UNDERSTANDING THAT THERE IS LITERALLY ONLY SO MUCH I CAN DO. I HAVE TO BE PREPARED TO TAKE LONGER TO ACHIEVE MY GOALS THAN SOME FOLK, JUST AS I WILL GET THERE MORE QUICKLY THAN SOME. I ALSO NEED TO APPLY LESS TENSION TO THE WHEEL

I COMPARE MYSELF TO AN IDEAL THAT I CAN NEVER MANAGE, RATHER THAN PUSHING MYSELF JUST ENOUGH TO DO THE BEST I CAN. IF IT IS MORE THAN I CAN MANAGE, IT IS *NOT* MY BEST. OH! NOW I GET IT! SO, THE NEXT TIME (TOMORROW?), I HOPE TO MANAGE 3/4 OF THE CARDIO, AND MAYBE THE NEXT TIME I CAN DO ALL OF IT. THIS IS *SO* SCARY FOR ME BECAUSE AM *REALLY* AFRAID OF FAILURE (ONE OF MY 3 GOAL CRUSHERS!) BUT I ONLY FAIL IF I DON'T TRY, RIGHT?

I ALSO NEED TO REALISE THAT *MY* LEVEL 9 IS ONLY THE BEST *I* CAN DO. I AM *NOT* BILL PHILLIPS!

THANKS FOR LETTNG ME RANT. I LOVE THIS WEBSITE
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 10:47

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%
Default Love your post!

You have a good attitude and sense of humor... That will get you through the tough times and before you know it, you'll be kicking butt on your treadmill!

It's all in the mind.... Keep yours focused... You can do it.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 11:04

Plan: SBD + Exercise
Stats: 218/211/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Keep up the great attitude Lossie!! You are so right in that you only fail if you don't try. I like your idea of working up to the full 20' You are right to remind yourself that this is *your* exercise program, not Bill's. Yes, he has great reccomendations, and I really like his plan. I, however, look at it like a "template" where I put in the pertinent info. for me and my body. Just be sure to push for your 9s and 10s and you will definately see progress!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 11:23
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

It occurs to me while reading your post that perhaps your "6" is more like a 8 or 9 in reality. Maybe you're starting off too hard and fast!? Remember the analogies Phillips uses? Level 5 is like carrying a bag of groceries" (or whatever it was)..... I don't have the book with me, but perhaps if you reviewed that portion of the book and re-evaluated your levels of intensity? Remember, you don't want to hit your 10 until the very end!

And there's nothing wrong with taking it easy at first.... TrainerDan suggests taking 2 weeks to get the feel of BFL before going at it full throttle.

Whenever I am disappointed with my workout effort I always remind myself (in a huff), "Well, it's better than sittin' on the couch"

You're doing just fine
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 12:26

BF:

THANKS FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT!

I DID THAT 10 MINUTES OVER 9 HOURS AGO, AND I AM STILL NOT RECOVERED. MY HUSBAND WAS FURIOUS WHEN HE CAME HOME FROM WORK AND SAW ME LIKE THIS (DAZED AND EXHAUSTED). HE GETS SO ANNOYED WHEN I PUSH MYSELF TOO HARD, BUT COME ON, 10 MINUTES ON AN EXERCISE BIKE? YOU KNOW, I HAVE HAD M.S. SINCE 1986, AND I *STILL* CAN'T BELIEVE HOW COMPLETELY EXHAUSTING I CAN FIND THINGS SOMETIMES. WHEN I AM WELL, LOOK OUT, BUT MOST OF THE TIME...

THAT IS A GOOD IDEA ABOUT USING THE PROGRAM AS A TEMPLATE. THE THING IS, I GOT TO 9 OR 10 TODAY, AND THAT IS WHAT HAS DONE THIS. I FORGOT THAT, UNLIKE WITH A HEALTHY PERSON, IF I PUSH MYSELF TO MY LIMIT, I SIMPLY DO *NOT* BOUNCE BACK LIKE A HEALTHY PERSON. PERHAPS I NEED TO LOOK AT DOING THE PROGRAM SO THAT IT ACTUALY HELPS ME RATHER THAN MAKES ME WORSE

I'M AN AMERICAN, AND THAT SMACKS OF GIVING UP/FAILING/LOSING. I NEED TO BE MORE OF A SCOT, JUST SAY, "BUGGER IT" AND DO WHAT I *CAN*
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 13:22
Starting Over!

No, the object of working out is to make you feel BETTER, not worse!! Girlfriend!! Slow down!!! Maybe you could consider opting out of the cardio aspect of the program....or at least just keep it to a moderate pace for a few minutes....don't worry about hitting your 10's on cardio.

Have you consulted with your physician about the best type of program to help keep in good shape?? I would think MODERATE weight lifting and MODERATE cardio would be in order for you. You don't want to ruin your day by working out!! Just go easy, Superwoman!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 03:48

BF:
Wink DOCTORS? WHAT DOCTORS?

HAVE IT TOLD MY DOCTOR WHAT I AM DOING? IN A WORD, NO

IN ACTUAL FACT, IT HONESTLY NEVER EVEN OCCURED TO ME. THE DOCTORS I SEE OVER HERE ARE NOT MUCH ON GIVING ADVICE. I MEAN, NONE OF THEM EVEN FLINCHED WHEN I SAID I WAS DOING LO-CARB AS LONG AS I DON'T KILL MYSELF, THEY ARE QUITE HAPPY FOR ME TO EXPERIMENT AND FIND WHAT SUITS ME (AND WHAT DOESN'T). I THINK THEY ARE JUST PLEASED THAT I AM NOT SITTING DOWN AND GIVING IN TO THE ILLNESS. THEY MAYBE DON'T WANT TO ROCK THE BOAT. I MEAN, IF IT IS TOO MUCH, I WILL STOP, AS I WON'T HAVE ANY CHOICE.

YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT SLOWING DOWN, PACING MYSELF, WORKING UP TO THINGS, GOING FOR MODERATE, RATHER THAN INTENSE WORKOUTS. I JUST GET SO ANGRY WITH MYSELF. MY BODY IS NOT DOING WHAT I TELL IT TO; I GET FRIGHTENED THEN I GET ANGRY. THIS PAST YEAR, THE M.S. HAS REALLY JUMPED UP AND BITTEN ME IN THE ASS. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS MY ASS IS SO NUMB, IT TOOK ME ABOUT 6 MONTHS TO NOTICE

IT'S FUNNY, BUT I WAS EXPECTING SOMEONE TO BOLLOCK ME (GIVE ME HELL, KICK ME UP THE BACKSIDE), TELL ME I WAS A LAZY SO-AND-SO AND TO GET MOVING! SHAME ON ME FOR EXPECTING THE WORST, WHEN THIS GROUP, THIS COMMUNITY, REALLY IS THE BEST

SO, EVERY DAY I WILL DO SOME EXERCISE. THAT IS MY PROMISE TO YOU, AND TO MYSELF. IF IT IS LOW IMPACT, OR NONE AT ALL, IT WILL STILL BE EXERCISE. SOMEBODY ELSE WILL HAVE TO BE SUPERWOMAN FOR THE TIME BEING

THANKS FOR BEING THERE, ALL OF YOU!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 10:40

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%
Talking Pace yourself

Hey Lossie,

A big part of your progress with the workouts will be in learning to cope with the MS. You will need to listen to your body and know when you have done enough to help rather than hurt.

I don't have a disease to deal with, but I have had back problems since I was 13 and had a back injury. I also messed up my hip bigtime several years ago and now have bursitis in that hip. I go to the chiro/sports med clinic every 2 weeks for therapy. I've made great progress and the low carbing has helped tremendously, but I did have to give up running(which I loved)and have had to learn to readjust my workouts so I don't cause my body further harm.

Life can be all uphill sometimes.... but think of the view at the top!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 13:08

BF:

OUCH, BACK PROBLEMS POOR YOU! IT IS THINGS LIKE THAT THAT PEOPLE USE AS AN EXCUSE TO AVOID EXERCISE ALTOGETHER, SO WELL DONE FOR NOT TAKING THAT OPTION! THERE ARE SO MANY GREAT AND COURAGEOUS PEOPLE WHO ARE INVOLVED WITH THIS WEBSITE; ISN'T IT THE BEST ?!

EMPATHY, EMPATHY. I VERY BRIEFLY WENT RUNNING. I STARTED JUST AS THE M.S. WAS COMING ON. MAN, I LOVED IT. HOWEVER, WHEN I RAN, I GOT TINGLING IN MY FEET THAT MOVED UP MY BODY THE FURTHER I WENT, AND I HAD TO STOP. WHEN I GOT MY DIAGNOSIS, IT ALL MADE SENSE. I STILL MISS IT THOUGH STILL, I WAS DIAGNOSED IN 1986 AND AM STILL ON MY FEET, AND THAT IS AS GREAT A VICTORY AS WINNING ANY MARATHON!

TODAY I DID AN UBW. IT WASN'T A BIG ONE OR A GREAT ONE, BUT I WORKED MY BICEPS, TRICEPS, PECS AND SHOULDERS EACH A BIT. I WAS TIRED AFTERWARDS, BUT AFTER A WEE REST STILL MANAGED THE WEEKLY SHOPPING. AND (HERE'S WHERE I GET THE GOLD STAR), THE WHOLE TIME I WAS OUT, I LEFT MY WALKING STICK IN THE CAR AND DIDN'T USE IT ONCE I WOBBLED A WEE BIT HERE AND THERE, BUT NOTHING DRASTIC.

THANKS FOR SHARING.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 13:20

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Beth, I missed most of this thread. I just had to let you know what an inspiration you are.

Nat
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 04:38

BF:

GEE THANKS, NAT, BUT LOOK WHO'S TALKING! YOU ARE AMAZING!

THIS HAS BEEN THE BEST IDEA, LIKE EVER! I MEAN, YESTERDAY, I WAS NOT ON FOR EXERCISE AFTER THE TRAUMA OF MY ATTEMPTED CARDIO SESSION OF THE DAY BEFORE, BUT I REMEMBERED SOMEONE TELLING ME (SORRY, CAN'T REMEMBER WHO) I DIDN'T NEED A GYM TO DO WEIGHTS. I ALSO REMEMBERED THAT I HAD PROMISED TO EXERCISE EVERY DAY, SO I DID MY WEE UBWO.

IF IT WASN'T FOR YALL, I'D HAVE PROBABLY BOTTLED OUT, BLAMING "NEEDING ALL MY ENERGY FOR THE WEEKLY SHOPPING" FOR IT.

NOPE, THAT WAS THE OLD ME, THE ME THAT DIDN'T HAVE THIS SUPPORT GROUP!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 06:43

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Beth, don't sell yourself short. We may have led you to the water, but we didnt make you drink I agree that the support on this site is phenomenal - it's one of the reasons I keep coming back. Always keep in mind, though, that you're doing all the really hard work!

Nat
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 04:14

BF:

Quote:
We may have led you to the water, but we didnt make you drink

YES, BUT I WAS SO THIRSTY!

WELL, YESTERDAY, I WALKED TO THE BANK, A MILE (PARTLY UP A STEEP HILL), SAT ON A BENCH LOOKING AT THE SEA FOR A BIT, THEN WALKED HOME (ANOTHER MILE), ALL WITHOUT MY WALKING STICK.

TODAY, LOWER BODY STUFF!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 05:26
Starting Over!

Cool You are the coolest, Beth!

Beth, you make me so proud!! I love reading your posts. If you only had an inkling what an inspiration you are to others!

It's disappointing to me to see people who take their mobility and physical strength for granted (I know, I WAS one of them for 40-something years!). People who are perfectly able-bodied, but allow thier muscles to whither. When I'm feeling lazy, I think about a paraplegic and how they would love to have 1/4 of the abilities I have....that usually gets me off my butt.

So, you see, you inspire me to be grateful for the strength I do have and make the best of it....because that's what you're doing.

Thank you for sharing your great attitude and funny stories with us. We're here for you all the way.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 08:47

BF:

YOU GOT ME! I HAD JUST DONE A FEW LOWER BODY EXERCISES, AND MY LEGS WERE TIRED. I FIGURED THAT WAS ENOUGH AND I CAME UP TO READ THE E-MAIL. YOUR RESPONSE MAKES ME WANT TO GO DOWNSTAIRS AND DO A BIT MORE, NOT ENOUGH TO KNACKER MYSELF, BUT ENOUGH TO KNOW I HAVE REALLY PUT IN SOME EFFORT

OH, AND AS IT IS LOWER BODY DAY, I HAVE BEEN CHARGING UP THE STAIRS WHEN I HAVE NEEDED TO GO TO THE LOO (THE LIVING ROOM IS DOWNSTAIRS AND THE ONLY BATHROOM IS UPSTAIRS)-AND AS OFTEN AS I GO TO THE LOO, THAT IS A GOODLY AMOUNT OF CHARGING MY QUADS KNOW THEY'VE BEEN WORKED. NOW I NEED TO DO A BIT FOR MY CALVES AND MY WOBBLY INNER THIGHS, NOT TO MENTION THE TUMMY.....