Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 08:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/123/120
BF:
Progress: 40%
Question Weight fluctuation during induction?

Hi there..A quick question..it is day 5 of induction, and so far my results have been this:

Day 2 down 2 lbs
Day 3 down 2 lbs
Day 4 down 1 lb (total of 5)
Day 5 (today) up 1 lbs!!!

I know i shouldn't be concerned..i am still down 4 overall, but what if tomorrow i am up again? Has anyone else experienced this? I am still in ketosis (levels are mild to moderate), i am eating everything i am supposed to, drinking all my water, and taking all my supplements..so what is the reason this morning i gained a pound back?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 08:55
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Everyone experiences this through the entire process of fat loss. It is quite normal and nothing to worry about.

Here are a few links to help you out:

Weighing In!

Do you really expect your progress to be all losses?

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 08:55

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Exclamation Weight fluctations

You look like you are doing great on induction 4 pounds in 5 days is pretty good.

Don't worry about putting that pound on. It is your body adjusting and just holding on to a little water while it sorts itself out. It is very tempting to weigh yourself everyday, I know I do, but I only record my weight once a week. Alternatively you can weigh every day and then average it across the week. In that way you get the bigger picture.

I have read many peoples experiences on this forum who have lost a lot in the first week to put back on a couple of pounds in the second. It is only temporary. After all, how long did it take for you to gain it in the first place. Hopefully it will not take as long to loose it.

Just keep on doing what you are doing and the pounds will come off when they are good and ready. You do not seem to be doing anything wrong, so just continue.

Every success and let us know how things progress.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 08:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 227/216.5/135
BF:
Progress: 11%
Red face yo-yo

hi lissdawn i would be interested to know why this happens to. i just finished my induction yesterday and lost 9.5lb but i went up and down a bit as well and i dont know why, did you weigh yourself at the same time of day and in the same sort of clothing? today is the first day of my third week and i have decided to weigh myself every 3rd day instead of every day because it makes you fell down if the scales tell you that you have put on a 1lb even tho i dont think you really have good luck mal
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 09:01

BF:
Default thanks :)

Thank you guys for the reassurance..I really like the idea of weighing everyday and then averaging out...I know that as I go on, these little things won't seem so trivial..but right now, i am just so fascinated by the whole experience (withdrawal and everything) I am really keeping an eye on the situation..thanks again
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 22:53

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Here's a post that might help explain what you are experiencing:

Water Weight Fluctuations

HTH
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 08:13

BF:

Thank you for that explanation, wbahn..it really comes together for me now...that is exactly what is happening to me. I have been in constant ketosis the whole time, but after the first 5 days and losing, the scales went up one and now haven't budged! But the ketosis is still there..and yesterday, i was bad, and didn't get nearly enough of my water in...probably 3 glasses under what i should have... Today I have vouched to get every last drop plus an extra one for good measure. Thanks