Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 16:02
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 183/169/125
BF:
Progress: 24%
Unhappy To caesar or not to caesar...take out dressing VS. store bought dressing..

Why is there a difference in the amount of carbs in a take-out dressing vs. a store bought dressing???? I have a bottle of store brand caesar dressing that says 0 carbs. 0 sugars 0 protein...BUT when I went out to Wendys to get a salad, their caesar dressing had like 5 or 6 carbs. (can't remember exactly) so I chucked the dressing in the trash and brought my salad home to eat. Could someone please enlighten me on this?? Does my 0 carb dressing really have more carbs than I think???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 16:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

It might depend on the "serving size". The Wendy's salad dressing would be the carbs for the whole container. But the bottled dressing might be zero carbs per tbsp. HOWEVER, by law,that label can say ZERO if there it has "less than one carb per serving." Even 0.9 gm can be listed as zero.

Or perhaps one dressing does just have more carbs. Read the label. The first ingredients ought to be low carb things such as oil, egg yolk, vinegar, spices. Sugar and starch ought to be 5th or more on the list, or else go looing for another brand. Creamy dressings TEND to be lower carb than other types. So I make my own.

I don't know where you live, but in Canada there is a brand called Renee's Gourmet Dressings which are very low carb and delicious.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 17:04

Plan: SBD/Atkins
Stats: 176.6/172.2/105 Female 62"
BF:40%/40%/18%
Progress: 6%
Default Dressing hell!

I agree with Tofi with the making your own dressing. Good gosh, people think I'm insane standing there in the store looking at the back of every bottle to simply leave in disgust because the only ones that are acceptable are pretty gross.

Simple vinaigrettes are easy to make and refrigerate well.

I also make an Oriental themed dressing:
1 serving
1 TBS sesame oil
1/2 TBS soy sauce ( I use wheat free organic Tamari)
1/2 TBS white vinegar (generic is fine)
splash of wasabi (to preference)
pinch of sesame seeds

total carb count minimal but use 1 JIC

It really dresses up a plain romaine lettuce salad

HTH

Nancy (aka the salad nut)
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 17:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Protein Power
Stats: 252/245/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hey - That looks good Nancy! I'm copying it down. Can we get more of your recipes in the recipe forum?

~Mel
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 18:22

Plan: SBD/Atkins
Stats: 176.6/172.2/105 Female 62"
BF:40%/40%/18%
Progress: 6%
Default I'll start posting in recipes

Thanks Melinda,
I just posted a recipe for Fried softshell crabs w/ pesto cream sauce in Main dishes.
Yum.

I'm still in Induction but these recipes have really saved me.

NAncy
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 18:32

Stats: 208.5/196/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Caesar dressing

I don't really like bottled dressing, either, and I love Ceasar salad. Here's mine:

1/3 cup good olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 egg
1 whole can anchovy flat filets, drained
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper

Put everything in the blender and puree til smooth.

Toss with romaine and fresh romano or parmesan cheese, some grilled shrimp....or chicken....

(I only keep it a couple of days or so, because of the raw egg.)
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 22:06

Plan: atkins/PP/my own
Stats: 180/133/140
BF:sz 14/4-6/toned 4
Progress: 118%
Angry fast food crap

I think there is a big difference between the types of dressing that fast food joints serve and "nice" restaurants. There certainly seems to be a taste difference LOL. I am probably biased however, as I have always thought fast food tasted like crap and it always gave me indigestion anyway. You were smart to toss that dressing and use your own. I don't know how they do it, but I swear fast food places put sugar and chemicals onto food they have no business being on!! I have had plain chicken patties that tasted sweet, like they have been glazed with sugar.

Personally, I would recommend staying away from fast food places as much as possible. Of course, sometimes that's all that's available or the only thing "quick enough." Bringing your own dressing to put on Wendy's salads is a good idea. Do you have inexpensive local restaurants that you can patron? Often, they use more natural ingredients than chain restaraunts, and are less likely to give you the run-around when you ask what's in the food.

Besides, why give more money to some fat cat 1500 miles away
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 05:26
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

Thanks for the heads up on all this. I'll definately try those recipes!! As far as a "nice " place to go out to eat....well, my husband dragged me here to this one horse town on a construction job.... If you want to do anything or go anywhere you have to drive like an hour away, and even then the pickins are slim. But thank you for the advice.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 19:18

Plan: Carbo Addicts
Stats: 212/201/145
BF:34
Progress: 16%
Thumbs up Wendy's salads

The problem with Wendy's salads--they are really good and they have more stuff on them for the price than regular restaurants. Just take your own dressing. I get the Chicken BLT salad often. It's about the best low carb meal you can get in a fast food place, I think. Just take your own dressing. I have a bottle here at work for special events. Ditch the crotons and use your own salad and you've got a good LC meal.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 20:00

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

Are you sure you didn't have the low fat Caesar dressing? I thought Wendy's Caesar dressing had 1 carb / packet. You really have to watch that they don't give you low fat instead of regular - they do it to me all the time!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 13:10
Registered Member

BF:

hmmmm...I really didn't notice if it was low fat or not, I just read the carbs and chucked it...but I'll keep a closer eye out...

TY TY
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 14:29

Plan: Modified PP
Stats: 310/300/210
BF:na
Progress: 10%
Lightbulb

You should try the Ceasar Side Salad at Wendy's...

The Salad has 2 grams of carbs (-1 gram of fiber) and their standard (not lite) ceasar dressing has only 1 gram of carb. They give you croutons on the side, so you can refuse them or toss 'em.

It's a great deal at $.99 too!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 15:26

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I use Bernstein's Creamy Caesar. It's the best darned Caesar dressing I've found and it has 1 g carb for 2 tablespoons. It's available in nearly all groceries where I live in The Beautiful Pacific Northwest USA or you can hit their website:

www.bernsteins.com

I appreciate the tip on Wendy's Chicken BLT Salad...I'll hafta try it real soon.