Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 06:52

Plan: Schwartzbein
Stats: 168/162/147
BF:
Progress: 29%
Question Anyone had problems with teeth on low carb?

I was at a playgroup and some of us were talkiing about low carb eating. (At least 3 of us are doing either SP, Atkins or something else). A mom who is a dental hygenist jumped in & was very anti-low carb. Her biggest negative was that in her job she keeps seeing patients who are low-carbing and their teeth are a mess (heavy plaque buildup/ needing lots of scraping).
Anyone else hear of this or experience it??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 08:09

Plan: Meat, leaves, & berries
Stats: 192/175/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Cool the opposite, actually!

The dental hygenist at my dentist's office commented that less sugar = less plaque, simple as that. She started the conversation by commenting that she could tell I had a good diet by the consistancy of my saliva, which is watery. She said that people who consume alot of sugar/refined/simple carbohydrates tend to have "ropey" (gooey) saliva. I told her that I try not to eat sugar, bread, pasta, or refined rice and she told me that was the reason I had so little tartar build up. Scaling, for the first time, was a breeze!

This makes sense to me.

Janice
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 08:37

Plan: X Factor
Stats: 154/130/112
BF:
Progress: 57%

Just for the record, I HAVE noticed that I'm getting a lot more plaque than I've had before( if plaque is the creamy sticky stuff that brushes off, rather than the hard scaly stuff that doesn't) . My carb content is usually below 20g per day and never goes above 30g and I haven't touched sugar in months. I've been low carbing for several months and have noticed the difference in the last two. (Saliva consistency is not something I've noticed - yeuck!!) Don't know what that all means ......
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 10:55

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Smile

I just had my teeth cleaned and and the hygenist asked me what I had been doing she didn't have much to clean my 45 min appointment turned in to 15 As for sore teeth when I lowfat lowcalorie diet my teeth get so sore I have a hard time chewing. I am really pleased at how well I feel on this WOE there are alway nay sayers out there no mater what you do.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 14:29

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Haven't had any personal experience...but I do remember Natrushka commenting that her dentist was really impressed with her teeth since lo-carbing...

Seems like this might be a YMMV thing!

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 17:14

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I've always had less tartar than most and not much plaque, but since low-carbing, it's gotten even better. And not only that, my teeth are whiter! (Although that's probably because I stopped drinking tea instead of water ).

;-Deb
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 03:13

Plan: Scharzbein principle
Stats: 187/187/147 Female 166cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi

I have been having more problems with my teeth since low carbing and I have made an appt with the Dentist so we shall see.

I have also had a lot of mouth ulcers in the past 2 weeks. Someone suggested that there's a link between eating a lot of peanuts and mouth ulcers.

so that might be it. that might also be causing the problems with my teeth.

Clo
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 09:08

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Smile

Clodagh,
I now if I eat walnuts I have sores all over my mouth so it may be the nuts or tomatoes with all their acid can do the same thing.