Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 09:07

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Plateau Broken!!

Hi, all,

I just broke about a 2-3 month plateau. It could have been any number of things, but as I started to get desperate, here's what I did:

Upped my water to at least 100 oz per day ::slosh, slosh::
Made sure I was getting a minimum of 100 gm protein
Eliminated my Carb Sol'ns bars
Eliminated my Carbolite chocolate bars ::weep!::
Eliminated almost all cheese (kept the heavy cream in my coffee, tho)
Eliminated aspartame
Eliminated diet sodas

I was reading a post by Nat yesterday in which she talked about women and weight training and how the scale tends not to move much in the first 6-8 weeks of weight training as the body adds muscle while it loses fat. As muscle growth levels off, then scale movement becomes more apparent. I'm about that far into a CKD (powerlifting) regimen, so that's also quite likely.

I know my metabolism is up because I'm HOT all of the time now, lol! When my husband stands at the other sink in the morning, he says he can feel the heat pouring off of me from a distance of about 2-3 feet. We've joked about roasting marshmallows.

And, in case anyone needs something to look forward to, when the plateau broke, it broke HARD. I lost 3 lbs overnight and another the next day.

Thanks again to the ppl on this board who posted when I needed it, and big hugs to everyone who is stuck and at the end of their rope. Hang in there! :::hug:::

Cheers,

Friday
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 09:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 241/199/125
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default CONGRATS

That is wonderful......Just wanted to tell you that
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 10:00

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

WAY TO GO!!!
AMAZING HOW THE BODY WORKS, EH?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 10:03

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

WTG Friday It's always rewarding when we see the fruits of our labour - keep at it, it just gets better and better.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 10:18

Plan: Atkins, BFL
Stats: 182.5/160/125
BF:
Progress: 39%
Thumbs up WTG~!!

I'm so happy to hear that you've finally broken through after so long~!! It's always great to hear about others successfully breaking the plateau and how they've done it. Keep up the great work!!

#6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 07:11

Stats: 243/217/187
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi fridayeyes!

A huge congratulations on your efforts- it must be such joy getting over that plateau. I love reading about successes- it gives everyone a much needed little boost / kickstart.

Congrats!

Fergus.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 08:32
Registered Member

Stats: 222/168/135
BF:41/33/20
Progress: 62%
Thumbs up

WAY TO GO!!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 09:51

BF:

Thanks again, everybody!

I think one of the problems I was having is that when I did Atkins before (as in before a bedrest pregnancy followed by colic, before my husband getting transferred in Jan and laid off in April with no notice thanks to the tech meltdown, before taking a job that exposes me to regular violence because we had to have a paycheck... lol, get me a newstand baby, cuz I got issues!), I was losing about half a pound a day, and I didn't have to be very careful to do it, so the stall really confounded me. I'm back to half a pound a day now and feeling very relieved.

Good news is, I'm working out, I feel great, I 'm losing again and ::crosses fingers::: I think I'm getting in in-district transfer to someplace where the violence is almost a non-issue. I will say one thing tho, Atkins and this WOE/WOL - it's something I can *control*, and it's a haven right now in a life that has been dictated by circumstances and crises that are so far out of my control it's not funny. But, as in all things, this too shall pass, and hey, there's always EverQuest. ::wink::

Cheers!

Friday
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 18:19

Plan: SBD + Exercise
Stats: 218/211/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default WAY TO GO!!!!!

Dear Friday,
(I say dear, because I am almost in tears right now)

Your success story was just what I needed!!! I am 2 months into a stall, and 6 weeks into BFL. I KNOW not to trust the scale, but I figured over time it should register some loss-NOT FOR ME I too have bounced on the scale in a 5 lb "bubble" The real kicker was when I went to compare my starting measurements to my 1/2 way point and realize I had lost that sheet of paper, and for some dumb reason had not posted them in my journal. So, nothing to compare to except the pant-o-meter, which has not moved in a few weeks.

I usually keep up w/Nat's journal, but somehow missed the point of bldg muscle for the first 6 weeks when starting wt training. I knew the scale loss would be slow, but I didn't realize it would come to a standstill.

Reading your success story has given me a real needed boost!
Thank-you!!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 19:14

BF:

:::gives a big, big hug to missatc::::

Here's the quote from Nat's post. It's not in her journal; it's in the first sticky post under the BLF heading:

"Results
Visible results may take 4 weeks, or they may take 10 weeks, but you’ll see them - and you will feel them. Concentrate on measurements and not scale weight – and never, ever weigh after a free day (if you decide to use this option) Women can typically spend the first 8 – 10 weeks growing muscle; the fat loss happens after this. It is not uncommon to lose 5 lbs. (scale lbs.) in week 10. "

and FYI, I'm at 212 today and it *IS* right after a free day

Hang in there, hon!

Hugs!

Friday
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 22:25

Plan: SBD + Exercise
Stats: 218/211/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Friday, your enthusiasm is contagious!

Can you believe I have read that post ("sticky") twice, but obviously a third time is in order.

I will be anxiously awaiting week 10....Oh, wait. I go on vacation in week ten . I'm not concerned about eating right, but I am concerned about getting my workouts in. I will look for a gym that might give a 3 day pass for a "fair" price. If worse comes to worse, I will workout M/T/W miss T/F/S/S/M/T/W and pick up the routine again on TH. after we get home, and just postpone my challenge by one week. Speaking of vacation, we will be in your neighborhood 7/3-7/10. My sister is getting married 7/6 in Marina Del Rey. Are you anywhere close to there?

A big congrats to your continuing fat loss. I am so glad for you that it is finally showing up on the scale.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 22:40

BF:

Marina del Rey - That's by San Diego, right? I'm between LA and SanDiego, but not particularly close to either.

I went out to lunch with a friend on Thursday and here's what I had:

An 8 oz steak, medium rare
8 large, grilled shrimp dipped in butter
About 1/4 cup sauteed red and green peppers
A tossed salad with ranch dressing
iced tea

I saved the baked potato for the hubby and the garlic toast for my toddler and didn't even *want* dessert.

Gotta love Atkins!

It's *that* week this week, so I'm not expecting to see any numbers move til it's over. I'm staying off the scale for a bit. My sister's wedding is coming up, and my dress is 4 sizes smaller than I wore to my sister-in-law's wedding a year and a half ago. I could just weep!

Cheers!

Friday