Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 13:53

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 130/125/125
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Bad cramping and D by day two, any thoughts?

I have just started the SP yesterday. Woke up in the middle of the night with bad, rythmic stomach cramping. Confused it with period pain but it has not subsided and it has been 12 hours. I have also had D three times today. Is this "normal"? The cramping really hurts, occurs every 5 or 10 mn.

I felt very weak this morning so had a small portion of oats with my eggs, thinking that maybe I hadn't eaten enough carbs.
Maybe my stomach cannot handle fresh veggies for lunch and dinner.

Any thoughts? Co-miserating? Should I stick it through or am I doing something wrong?

Yesterday, I ate eggs for breakfast with ham, cheese, chopped up onions, tomatoes and green peppers.
Then had spinach salad with some chicken, red bell pepper, carrots and ceasar salad dressing for lunch.
Can of tuna with some cheese for snack.
Chicken cordon bleu with fresh veggies (cucumber, carrots, tomatoes, celeri) for dinner.
And again eggs this morning with veggies and small portion of oatmeal plain.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 14:46

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default hi Guerita

I am sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I was on the diet for two years and never heard of this and after looking at your menu I couldn't see anything wrong except you didn't say how many veggies you ate they do have carbs and I can see you having a reaction if you ate to many and weren't use to them. You may need to follow the healing food plan in the book it makes it clear exactly what to eat. It starts on page 292 and it is 4 weeks of healing program meal plans.Good luck and take care.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 18:15

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

I must agree with Pat S., It's probably just a case of too much (veggies) too soon.

Try slowly introducing more and veggies, but remember, you need not eat a huge amount of them at each meal, just enough to keep you "moving." (just not too fast :lol )

You may wish to scroll down to the thead from a couple or 3 weeks ago about tummy problems, many food allergies were addressed, as well as the newness of veggies into a body that's been used to calling Doritos a veggie b/c it had tomato powder on it. I think you know what I am getting at.

Stick with it, please! Just try to eat a little less veggies for the first couple of weeks until your body gets used to it and I think you will be okay. Also, read that other thread, there may be some foods you are allergic to. I am allergic to brocolli, brussels sprouts, avacado, sugar snap peas, certain other peas, etc. And if I eat them I get horrible horrible cramps! Hope this helps.
--Betty
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 21:09

BF:
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the replies.

I only had D once today but the painful cramps continue. I really did not eat that many vegetables day before yesterday. My side veggies were 1/2 tomato, 1/4 cucumber, 1/2 small carrot and one small celery stick...

And I have been eating vegetables in the past. Just would also load up on carbs as well: rice, granola bars, sweet cereals, etc.

I am trying to switch to more cooked veggies instead of raw to see if that helps.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 14:33

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Guerita -

I think you should stick with it...stomach upset inthe beginning isn't all that unusual...you aren't feeding the flora in you intestines all the sugar and refined carbs...its going to take some time to adjust. Give everything a week and see how it goes. I'm not sure I'd jump into changing things around too soon...your body needs time.

In the meantime, make sure you are getting adequate fibre...add psyllium husks to your oatmeal or try something like sugar free Metamucil.

Also...make sure you are getting enough potassium...a deficiency can cause cramping...though its usually muscular.

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 07:23

Plan: schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 290/290/198 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

You mentioned ceasar dressing. Was it home made? If so maybe the raw egg is causing this. Just a thought.
Jerry
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 11:57
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Some people have a hard time digesting so many RAW vegetables and salads, especially if it's a drastic change from a previously refined, processed white flour and rice krispie diet . Perhaps for the next week or so, rely more on cooked veggies, until the tum has settled. Steamed asparagus, green beans, broccoli and/or cauliflower florets are lovely when chilled and served with a tangy olive oil marinade. Make the spinach salad by lightly sautéeing the greens first, just until wilted. Personally, I find crisp lettuces and cucumbers to be "gassy" at the best of times.

Hope you're feeling better soon,

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 13:38

BF:

Thanks again. I am feeling better. Although I don't think that I am eating enough, as I am very confused about what to eat!!!
Will rely on more cooked veggies and am sure that will help.
Will report later with progress.
: )
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 15:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/138/120 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 22%

How much dairy product are you eating? Have you eaten a lot of cheese and other dairy products in the past?

The reason I ask this is because what you are describing also sounds like lactose intolerance. My stomach gurgles and I get D. But, it may depend on the type of dairy food you eat.

Compare how much dairy you are eating now on SP with before.

Post again about this. Sorry to say I know a lot about this.

-Deborah
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-02, 12:13

BF:

Deborah,
That is one thing that I had not considered. However, I have always eaten lots of yoghurt and drank moderate amounts of milk to go with my cereal. I didn't use to eat cheese cause it is so fatty. Now I have cut out milk and yoghurt and started eating more cheese (up to 2-3 ounces a day).
Perhaps my body isn't used to the cheese but it is definitely used to the lactose. I will experiment with reducing cheese intake and keep my eye out for an improvement in symptoms.
Thanks!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-02, 15:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/138/120 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 22%

Not all dairy has lactose. I am just about totally intolerant, but yogut, hard cheese (swiss, cheddar, parmesan, romano), butter, and light cream have no or extremely little lactose in them. I can actually eat those foods with no problems.

Soft cheese like mozzarella, cottage, and regular milk do have lactose. You also have to watch for diary whey which causes me many problems. I alway have to check ingredients on foods that I usually buy because sometimes they change the ingredients and add non-fat dry milk or whey and there I am, sitting on the throne. However, on this plan it is much easier to avoid those foods because I am eating fewer processed foods.

Check you margarine as well. I buy Earth Balance which has no trans-fats and no dairy.

-Deborah