Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 13:08
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 187/180/165
BF:
Progress: 32%
Question Apple cider Vinegar for weight loss?

I have been reading a lot and have heard a lot too. It is suppose to be a wonder for weight loss. I comes in form of pills to avoid the horrible taste of the real stuff. I am tempted to try it...but the real stuff. I love regular white vinegar but have never tried apple vinegar. Any comments?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 13:17

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Smile

Hi I tried both the pills and the vinegar in water (Hard to take first thing the morning ) It never did anything for me and from what I have heard not many other people either. In fact I use to go on "That Homesite" and I don't think I ever read anyone who lost weight.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 13:30

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I think this falls under the "too good to be true" marketing strategy.

There are no miracle pills, diets or anything else. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, then you need to make the commitment to yourself to change those eating habits.

No more sugar, refined or otherwise, no more rice, pasta, breads or junk foods.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 13:39

Stats: 148/122/115
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi Cristian,

My auntie & I both drank vinegar for 6 months and we didn't lose anything. I must have drunk at least 2 litres of cider vinegar

Please don't fall for it!

Bebe
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 16:04

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

there are no quick fixes. Why would half of americans be overweight if there were?

Real food. Patience. Letting our bodies heal of years of abuse. That's it. There is no miracle to turn us into fashion models.

But there is a miracle--that we're alive and intelligent and have these incredible bodies. Take a minute to be grateful.

Then settle down, read the book of your choice, and work the plan every day for six months.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 17:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default I did this back in the 80's (I think) and it did seem to work.

But it's not just the cider vinegar. It was in combination with other things. The vinegar is for the potassium (from the apples) and you were to take this along with Vit B6 (a natural diuretic), Kelp, to help speed the metabolism and lecithin which emulsifies the fats. I really did see weight loss from this combination. Of course I was also doing a modified low carb at the time.

I think the lecithin helped more than anything, but of course we do need the potassium and this is the least expensive way to get it.

I still think they sell pills with all these things in them. They are called KLB6 But You must have to take several because just the lecithin pills are huge and so are the kelp.

Carol
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 21:40
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Apple cider vinegar is not a great source of potassium According to our carb counter tool, 1 Tbsp has 15mg potassium. So, one fl. oz (30 ml) would have 30mg.

For comparison, 1 fl. oz/ 30 ml fresh lemon juice has 37.8mg potassium. A medium California avocado has 1,096.82mg. One cup of chopped broccoli has 387mg. Half a can of salmon has 255mg. ¼ cup raw almonds has 249mg. etc, etc, etc

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 11:07

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: // Male 65 centimeters
BF:25/17/10
Progress: 91%

Does apple cider vinegar lower blood sugar. I seems to
have read it somewhere. But I cannot find it now. If
it lowers blood sugar,it may indeed speed up ketosis(
fat burning)
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 07:24

Plan: low carbing
Stats: 191/173/155 Female 5'3
BF:

My doctor told me to get off those pills right away. She said that it could cause lots of internal damage.

And the liquid apple cidar vinager smells so bad that the smell of it kills any taste buds I had.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 11:29
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 279/267/160 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

My dad takes the apple cider vinegar for a degenerative condition he has, and he swears by it. He also says that the smell is much worse that the taste.

He is still plenty overweight though.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 22:24

Stats: 185/170/170 Male 5'9" and some change
BF:
Progress: 100%

I bought a bottle from GNC when I first started Atkins. Frankly, I can't say it had any noticeable results. I can say, the taste was terrible. However, I have read a few articles that say Apple Cider Vinegar does help remove (I think it was plaque) impurities from the blood. I still take some from time to time but I don't expect it to help in weight loss at all. Better safe than sorry.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 00:47

Plan: trying to figure it out
Stats: 214/201.4/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 23%

I just started drinking some with water before every meal I eat and you can read some info on it in my journal that I posted. I am not saying you will lose weight if you drink it. I started drinking it because its very effective in detoxicating various organs and to lower my High Blood Pressure. I have noticed a slight weight loss. I still don't know if this is because of the Apple Cider Vinegar or not. Good luck with whatever you decide to do
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 09:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

Been there, done that - all i got was apple cider breath LOL...seriously, didn't work at all!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 15:27
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:

In her book "The Fat Flush Plan", Ann Louise Gittleman suggests that acidic foods, such as apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, can slow the absorption of food when taken with meals. Theoretically this may keep blood sugar at a lower more steady level rather than a sharp spike.

But apple cider vinegar in and of itself is not a miracle fat burner.

There's a little more information posted at Rick Mendosa's Diabetes site .. http://www.mendosa.com/acidic_foods.htm

hth,

Doreen
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 16:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Heh! Doesn't this fall under the diets where you douse your food with things to make them unpalatable?