Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 07:32

Plan: schwartzbein
Stats: 301/301/180
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Another Question

Hello all,

I am a bit confused with regards to measurement of carbohydrates. Assuming that you are allowed 20g of carbs a day, if you have say, some potatoes, which are 20g carb per 100g, is it ok to eat 100g of potatoes, or should you only have the 20g of potatoes.

My reason for asking, is that I have just been on Fitday.com and they have classed 1 slice of bread as 100% carb - about 27g.

Cheers

Jamie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 08:04

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

you could, but there's a health cost or two to consider.

by forgoing vegetables, you forgo their nutrients (including ones they don't put in any pill) and healthy fiber

by eating grains or any of your favorite foods, you risk triggering cravings or continuing the adverse health symptoms that were due to your food sensitivities (which include making you want to overeat, btw)

and lastly, we promote the learning of healthy lifetime eating habits. Healthy lifetime eating includes vegetables at 2 or 3 meals, a fruit now and then, and probably no processed grain at all.

I just finished Schwarzbein myself! What a great book.

Good luck on your LC journey. hope this answer helped.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 08:24
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Assuming that you are allowed 20g of carbs a day, if you have say, some potatoes, which are 20g carb per 100g, is it ok to eat 100g of potatoes, or should you only have the 20g of potatoes.

If 100 grams of potato is 20 grams of carbs, then 20 grams of potato is 4 grams of carbs.

Jamie, you have to decide first if you are following Atkins or Schwarzbein. They are entirely different plans in regards to carb amounts.

You can be very successful on both, but you can't cherry pick what you like from each and combine them. Eventually with your WOL, you will develop your own way of eating but you have to start with the basics of whatever plan you choose. You'll get really confused otherwise.

If you're following Atkins, a question about bread or potatoes wouldn't exist because they are not used in the first stages of Atkins at all. Atkins followers look for vegetables and foods that give the most volume for the amount of carbs they contain so they tend to stay with vegetables that are green.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 08:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, Protein Power
Stats: 252/245/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

I think what's confusing you is the idea of bread being 100% carb. What they mean is 100% calories from carbs. Bread (and everything) will contain other non-caloric things that have weight. For example, bread has moisture that adds weight without calories. Even pure protein powder that is carb-free and fat-free won't have as many grams of protein as it has grams of weight because it contains things like ash that contribute weight without calories.

Hope this helps.

~Mel