Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 07:46

Plan: Low Carb Hybrid, Atkins/PP
Stats: 244/199/140
BF:44.5%/41.3%/25%
Progress: 43%
Default Ferocious Appetite...Why?

Well I have hit my first major roadblock in this WOL. And its not the usual, fell of the wagon one. I am staying true to low carb, however I have had a ferocious appetite lately, I mean huge! I am still getting all my veggies in, but just after eating a large meal, my full signal doesn't go on, and I still feel hungry. Last week I did a major binge on SF Chocolate.

This week I am trying to curve the cravings, so I haven't had any SF Chocolate, but my appetite is huge. I have been taking L-Glutamine three times a day for awhile now, but it doesn't seem to help anymore. I drink 100oz of water a day. My fat intake is around 60-70% and my protein is around 20-30% with 5% or less carbs. I can't seem to stop thinking about food. I was doing very well before, didn't think of food all the time and felt satisfied with what I ate. Now I have done a 360 and am back to my old "food is everything" thoughts. I have learned a few things about me on this WOL, one is that I am a binge eater, there is no one little chocolate square and I am done, and two is I am a compulsive eater. I need overeaters anonymous or something, LOL!! Now that I know the problems I have to figure out my triggers, so how do I do that?

Does anyone have any advice on how to get my appetite back in line?

Thanks
JennS
244/208/140
WOL Since Jan'02
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 08:01
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

Well...for one thing, you shouldn't be hungry at all. Would you be able to post a few days worth of menu's so we can have a closer look...

thanx...cin
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 08:23

I log all my foods at fitday.com

Here is the link if you would like to take a look.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...l?Owner=jenns99

Thanks.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 08:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/168/135
BF:41/33/20
Progress: 62%
Default Hugely hungry

Hi Jenn,
That happen to me sometimes - and it is usually around my period. The only thing that helps me is to just eat extra protein so you get the appetite reduction effect, and lowering my carbs.
I go right back to induction on that week of the month - I eat as much meat as I need to feel comfortable and cut the carbs down to 20 or less. Try cutting out all carbs that aren't allowed on induction (no berries etc.) and really limit any cheese and see what happens.
It will work out!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 08:52
Registered Member

Default Me again

Hi Jenn,
Me again.

I looked over your meals for the last few days - and you really are doing ok. If you think about it you are staying pretty much within the 1500 to 2000 calories per day.

The only thing I can see is perhaps the salted nuts and the strawberries.

Eat more protein to get you thru this time....
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 08:55
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Now that I know the problems I have to figure out my triggers, so how do I do that?

Try this: When you feel the impulse, have a glass of water and lie down. Breathe deeply and listen to what you are thinking and feel what you are feeling.

Low-carbing seems like a miracle at first because the impulse seems to disappear. When it comes back, it means that the LC honeymoon is over and it's time to start working on what really ails you.

I know it sounds really awful, and it is at first. All these self discoveries and revelations are popping up here and there and you have to figure out what to do with the information. But it eventually becomes very freeing as you work with changing yourself because no matter how much you eat, or how much you try to control it, nothing changes!

There are books that can give you a hand, some people recommend those of Geneen Roth, therapy and as you mentioned 12-step groups. Be open and willing to explore all possibilites. Be open and willing to change. The path that stirs up the greatest amount of internal do-do is usually the right path!

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 09:07

thanks for all the help!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 09:19
Registered Member

Wink ANYTIME

Jenn,

I have been thinking more on your problem. Like I said - it has happened to me - but I find the symptoms are less and less the healthier I get.

Karen is right - look at what is going on around you right now - are you stressed about something? Anxious? Is there something going on and your subconcious is pushing you back towards bad habits? If you identify it you can control it - No matter if it is hormones (PMS) or stress. I am a comfort eater myself. But I find that if I can control just 1 thing (what I eat) everything else doesn't seem so bad.

Cut out the bake mixes and such as well - just meat, salads and veggies. No cheese, nuts, berries or mixes.
When I am having a hard time - I read Atkins again, right up to induction - and remember how & why it works then I fire up my induction again.

You have lost a lot of weight!! You shoulld be proud! You are in control!!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 09:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/128/115
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default I agree to stay away from some things...

You are eating a lot of cheese, some onions and some fruit. I have heard that these can be trigger foods or even cause stalls in some people. So I would recommend possibly avoiding them for a few days and see what happens. This WOE if definitely all experimental as different things work for different people. So experiment by trying various foods and see how you react to them or without them.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 09:57

I agree with that, that I am eating a lot of cheese, nuts and strawberries, but I have lost for the past two months on the same menus, plus I always eat a serving's worth and don't go over th 4oz of cheese that D. Atkins says. So just out of curiousity, what do you guys eat for in between meals, that is what I use the nuts, cheese and berries for, as snacks. I couldn't just eat 3 meals a day and be happy, have to have my snacks to tied me over. So what does everyone use as snacks? I hate pork rinds.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 10:06
Registered Member

Default SNACKS

Whatever meat I am cooking - I make more of for snacks.
Like BBQ (no sauce of course) burger patties or chicken breasts etc. And if I need a snack I just grab one of them instead of making a whole meal out of it - I just eat the protein. It works for me...
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 10:38

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Jenns99
I just went to fitday and read your menu I am on induction again but your menu looked like mine when I stalled before.I can usually get away with cheese a couple of times a week no more it seems to catch up with me and the pregrated cheese is dusted with stuff to keep it from sticking together carbs are hidding there I have started always grating my own. When I start using mixes,bars, or fun stuff I get in trouble. When this happens to me this time I am going back to induction for a couple days then add things back slowly watching any reaction, in the past I tried to fix it from where I was and it didn't work. Take Care.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 10:47

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Snacks for me:

A Carb Sol'ns shake
2 tbsp peanut butter
some cream cheese with cinnamon or unsweetened choc power sprinkled over it
avocado slices
pickles (dill)
Kool-Aid (no sugar)
A few slices of lunchmeat with some sharp mustard

By far my fave snack, tho, is the low-carb protein shake. It's quick, it's easy, and it helps me meet my protein goals which I have a hard time doing otherwise.

I do eat 6 times a day, but sometimes when I'm feeling snackish, I resort to distraction instead. Or, if it's close to bedtime, I tell myself to ignore it because I don't want anything in my stomach overnight.

As far as ignoring it goes, I have a very strong external motivator I fall back on for that. Ideally, we should all be doing this for ourselves, but sometimes it's a little too easy to tell ourselves to go rot. In late August, I will be meeting my dearest friend for the first time, and on a cruise ship to boot. We've known each other online and on the phone for nearly two years, but have never met in person. When my motivation flags, I remind myself of how badly I want to look good for this meeting and how nice it will be to strut my stuff in a bathing suit for the first time in years.

Good luck!

Friday
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 11:23

Thumbs up Thanks for the great ideas

Thank you all for your posts and ideas. I will have to re-visit what I choose to snack on. As for the peanut butter, do you use sugar free, the natural kind?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 11:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/128/115
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default more snack ideas

Snacks at work: I always keep hard-boiled eggs in the fridge and they are yummy as a snack dipped in italian dressing. I also always have sausages and some type of meat on hand. I try to avoid deli meats because of preservatives and hidden carbs. I also snack on cream cheese with chopped green onions on celery, ranch with low carb veggies, or bacon slices cooked in the micro. I also can't survive on just 3 meals so I try to graze all day long.

Even though you might have eaten those foods before, they might cause a stall now. The body is still a mysterious thing...so experiment constantly and see what works for you.

When I'm at home I snack on the things listed and for dessert I have a low-carb shake (either chocolate or cappachino) blended with ice for a wonderful drink. It tastes almost as good as the ones' Baskin Robbins makes but with only 3-4 grams of carbs!!!