Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 12:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 13/13/9
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Help, cant drink anymore water!!!

Hi,

I am tired of drinking only water, can anyone suggest any other liquid forms that I could drink.

I know you can drink some different types of Tea and Coffee but I dont drink either.

So please if you could help I would be really grateful.

Thanks

LittleLiz
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 13:11

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

You're reallly not supposed to have anything other than water, but some people add a little crystal light to it.. (if you do that, try to have it as weak as you can stand it)

And the only soda allowed is Diet Rite because theres no carbs and asp..(lol whatever that word is)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 13:16

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I wasn't much of a water drinker when I started, either, but I have really gotten to love it. You can try flavoring it with a slice of lemon. An occasional Diet Rite won't hurt you, but water should really be most of what you drink.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 14:45

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I'd suggest trying carbonated sparkling water. There are lots of varieties. It's all I drink, and I drink a gallon a day no problem
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 15:22

BF:

Just a quick warning on sparkling or carbonated waters. Read the label carefully before buying or drinking. Some of them are sweetened with corn syrup, sugar or Aspartame. If Aspartame is okay for you or they are unsweetened, they should be okay.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 09:07

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Little Liz.....

Please try to persevere with drinking your water as nothing else works quite as well.

When I began, it was work for me to get my water in, but I've become so accustomed to drinking it now that I rarely drink anything else. Nothing seems to satisfy my thirst like water does.

If you are drinking tap water, consider buying your water. You may find that filtered water just tastes better. Try it room temperature and try it cold. One or the other may be more palatable for you. Try carrying around a bottle of water so that you always have it handy.....and sip....sip.....sip away at it.

If you keep trying, you will eventually get to the point where it is habit and you won't be able to manage without your water!

Hang in there.

Marlaine
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 16:39

BF:

Marlaine is right. There's a running joke around my office that where my water bottle is, I'm not far away. I carry it with me everywhere I go and keep sipping at it as I go. I used to have to work at it to drink 2 liters of water a day. Now I often find that I've drunk that much before lunch!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 17:49

Plan: Protein Power Lifeplan; D
Stats: 197.0/162.0/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hi LittleLiz,

Here's a trick that helped me when I first started...use a straw!

I don't know why, but you will drink more, more easily.

Hope this helps.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 17:56
Registered Member

Stats: 148/147/125 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 4%

what about caffiene free soda's? everyone says they have sugar free jello .. its made with the same stuff?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 14:36

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally posted by aggieamy
what about caffiene free soda's?

The problem with any kind of soda's is that they have a high sodium content. Also....they just do not count as water. Only water counts as water.

Marlaine
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 20:14

BF:
Default Another problem with diet sodas

Caffeine free or not, they contain artificial sweeteners which seem to be a problem for many people causing them to lose more slowly or stall completely (same thing goes for the sugar-free jello). If you can have them and still lose weight to your satisfaction, wonderful! Just keep it in mind and consider dropping those things first if you hit a real stall. Marlaine is right again...there is no substitute for water. If you drink diet sodas, you cannot count that as part of your daily water intake.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 18:25

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Actually, soda's don't have a very high sodium content (around 45mg), BUT they do have plenty of additives, like citric acid, potassium citrate and potassium benzoate, that you do not need and can be harmful to the body. In fact, potassium benzoate has been proven to leach calcium from your bones, and citric acid can stall your weight loss, as it affects fat metabolism at the cellular level (Kreb Cycle). I don't even want to go into the evils of aspartame...

Try sticking with water, and if you get bored there are several different juice options out there right now that are sweetened with Splenda (Smuckers brand comes to mind as well as Ocean Spray and Diet V8 Splash).

-Shelly
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 22:25

Plan: Carb. Addicts
Stats: 160/157/140
BF:
Progress: 15%
Talking water filter

I hated spending money on bottled water and just could not stand tap water so I went to the library and looked in Consumer Reports and picked out a facet water filter. It is great, very easy to use, and I have no problem drinking it - when I remember! I just keep forgetting, but am getting better at it.