Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 07:55

Plan: Meat, leaves, & berries
Stats: 192/175/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Question SOY versus WHEY

Who uses Soy protien powder? Who uses whey? I have used a high quality non-GMO soy protien powder in my "hippy shake" for a few years and just recently bought a small canister of "Protiens+" to try.

Is one better than the other? Does whey have the "woman friendly isoflavones"?

Which is better? Is one as good as the other as long as it's of good and non-GMO quality?

Thanks to any respondants!

Janice
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 18:17

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%
Default soy vs. whey

I'm not sure which is supposed to be the "best", but I've used both. Right now, I actually have 3 different kinds that I sometimes mix together! One is a plain soy, one is chocolate flavored soy and the other is whey. They taste pretty good together. I just use partial scoops of each to make up one total serving.

When I'm out of the soy, though, I will probably stick with whey since my hubby uses that and it saves having so many containers of stuff sitting around!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 18:31

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Here's a little article that you might find interesting, Janice.

Soy vs. Whey - You've been tricked.

When it comes to being 'complete' both soy and whey score a perfect 1.0 (beef comes in a close second with .92) - when it comes to percentage of the big 3 amino acids (BCAA, glutamine and arginine) soy wins hands down.

Both are good choices as protein supplements for a healthy diet.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 07:18

BF:
Cool Many, many thanks Nat!

As always, you're a great source of information and inspiration!

Janice
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 10:49

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%
Wink

Yes, thanks Nat... You do an awesome job of keeping up on these things!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 10:54

BF:

Thanks This information came as a bit of a shock to me a few weeks ago - like just about everyone I had been 'convinced' that whey was much better for me than soy. While I'll admit I have yet to find a really palatable soy shake, there MUST be one out there. Anyone have any recommendations?

N
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 11:18

BF:
Cool What I use

I use a product called "Just Soy" and it's made by a company called "Interactive". Per 30g scoop is has:

120 calories
27 grams protein
0.9 grams fat
1 gram carbohydrate

Ingredients: soy protein isolate, protease I, protease II, lactase, amylase.

I take the natural, but there's also a vanilla flavour with sucralose that I find way too sweet. Interactive also makes a soy powder for women that has additional flax, spirulina, and cranberry, it's falvoured and sweetened with stevia, has 10 carbs per scoop. They make one for men too, with saw palmetto and some other prostate health promoting herbs.

Janice
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 11:25

BF:

Thanks, Janice. How does the unflavoured one taste? In my experience they can best be described as "drywall compoundlike" Hence the search for a good tasting one.

N
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 12:49

BF:
Wink Uh, yeah .... kinda like that ...

I have to admit, the "natural" ie. unflavoured is not special. However, I mix it with greens and Udo oil and find it very palatable. On its own tho, not great. If you're interested in greens, I think I've tried them all and Sangsters makes "Mega Greens" and it's the best tasting. Kind of marshmallow-y, so when added to the drywall compound, I mean, soy powder, it's really quite good. Alternatively you could cut it halfnhalf with the too sweet vanilla flavoured.

I dunno, anybody have any better suggestions?

Janice
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 16:06

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default soy

I just toss in a scoop of Twinlab's VegeFuel to the rest of my protein shakes (I use 3 scoops in my shakes .... during the middle of the day, the shakes are 1 scoop whey, 1 scoop soy, and 1 scoop of a casein/whey blend).

The soy taste still lingers, but I ain't drinking it for the taste ... It's not too bad that way tho.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 16:05

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

Dont know whether this will help or confuse the issue as i am no whiz brain by any means on these matters but in Gittlemans "Fat Flush Plan" she is asked if substituting Whey protein for Soy protein is Ok and she says no.

From the book page 176 she writes:
Quote:
I decided long ago that less is more when it comes to soy protein powders.
For starters, soy is not a complete protein because it lacks methionine, an important sulfur-bearing amino acid for liver detoxification. Soy is also a top food allergen and contains enzyme inhibertors and phytic acid, which can remove zinc and iron from the body. As a plentiful sourse of copper, soy can increase or exacerbate hyperactivity, panic attacks, hair loss, adrenal burout, fatigue and hypothyoigism. (for more info please refer to my book Why am I so tired? )
Whey protein is a much better protein powder choice. it has the highest protein efficiency ratioof all the protein sourcesand increases rpoduction of glutathione, one of the liver's leading antioxidants in the detox process.

She goes on to say that tofu and tempeh are ok twice a week and there is place for soy isoflavones as a natural hormone replacement for perimenopausal and menopausal women in amounts up tp 100mg a day.

Gosh I wish i could type I am so slow it takes me forever.
This may have been covered in Nats link but its all a bit over my head as I said unless I was to sit and study it all morning
I just play follow the leader
I actually like the taste of soy powder. Nice and earthy and wholesome. Lisa reckons it tastes like I put dirt in it and can detect the smallest amounts i try to sneak in her concoctions
Next time I will get a whey one, I have had one before and dont think it was as 'tasty' but it was more expensive.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 17:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I also can't stand the taste of soy protein powder, but the whey is delicious. I have Optimum Whey in chocolate. I have been adding a T of unflavored drinking gelatin to the shake for added protein (this type doesn't get stiff)

I am lactose intolerant and so far this shake hasn't bothered me. When it does I will have to emiminate it.

I like silken tofu mixed with some PB and Splenda, a little oil and some vanilla. It is a good substitute for pudding, but it has a few carbs, so I've avoided it lately too.

Carol
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 18:24

BF:
Default Soy and thyroid

Just to point out that there are always two sides to everything (sometimes three, as it turns out)...

From the article linked to above "Soy Vs. Whey"

Quote:
A soy isolate is inexpensive, has the highest score on the PCDAAS, is very soluble if instantized, is extremely bland (a good thing), IMPROVES kidney function (unlike any other protein), is anticarcinogenic, is anti-estrogenic, lowers LDL (bad) and raises HDL (good) cholesterol, IMPROVES THYROID FUNCTION , etc, etc--the list goes on and on. But best of all, unlike whey isolate, pure soy isolates exist.

Nat