Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 04:32

Plan: bfl
Stats: 180/185/150
BF:
Progress: -17%
Thumbs down Sigh

This is not working for me. I have gained up to 196 lbs. (that would be a 15 pound gain in about a month or less) I tried out a scale at Bed Bath and Beyond and almost started to cry in the store. I have lost no weight, no inches, nothing. I am going to go back to my 1,000 - 1,200 calorie a day diet. I am going to go low fat, low carb, high protien as much as possible. no more cream cheese, cheeses, butter, mayo, oils, salad dressings, ect.

I am convinced that this diet was a silver bullet for me the first time I tried it, it worked great. However, if you do not stay on it constantly you gain it all back and then some, and if you start back on it afterward, you will have very little luck losing the weight you want. I might be the exception to the rule in that case, but when it comes to my body and my weight loss, I AM the rule. I am tired of not seeing results, and of being told to hang in there and drink more water and eat more calories when all I seem to be doing is gaining more weight all the time. You are all great ppl, and I hope the high fat/high protien/low carb thing works for you, but I am not going to follow it anymore. I am cutting the fat so to speak, and I think along with the exercise and weight training I am already doing, I will manage to get some pounds off.

Thanks for reading
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 06:17

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

Sizzle,

There certainly seems to be an extreme metabolic resistance to weight loss for you.

In the end there is only so many things that you can try. Reduced calorie diets do lead to weight loss. Weightwatchers would not be the business it is if that were not true.

Regretably it is true that any weight reduction program if stopped results in gained weight and more often to a higher level than before. This is a true for Low carb as any other program. The classic yo yo has been the curse of most of us. You are right it gets harder and harder.

Your body clearly needs a jolt of some kind. Gram for gram calories are more than twice in fat than Carbohydrate and Protein and that is the rationale behind low fat. The argument for low fat on the grounds of raised cholesterol has been wrapped into the "low fat" is healthy approach. But that has been demonstrated to be false too. The mediterranean studies showing the beneficial heart affect of Olive oil have been well publicised. Also the benefits of the Omega 3 oils in Fish oil and Flax are well known.

I think you have to try your idea and cut out the dairy it could be the best way forward to break the cycle. However if you can make room in your new regime for Olive Oil and the Omega3's you would not be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Not all the fats are "bad"

What is so unfair is that if your carbohydrate intake is very low and you are gaining weight then you may need to look to a possible cause other than metabolic resistence and further than low carb. There may be a medical reason or an interference with any medication.

Perhaps we will hear from you from time to time. Low fat, low calorie may assist your immediate weight loss but sure as eggs are eggs sugar still makes you fat.

Last edited by rustpot : Tue, May-28-02 at 06:22.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 08:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

One other thing: DON"T BELIEVE THE CHEAP SCALE IN THE STORE. I HAVE FOUND THEM TO BE UP TO 10 POUNDS TOO HIGH. They often need adjusting to get anywhere near accurate.

Go to a doctor's office or gym or spa and just ask to use a balance beam scale. Then believe that number.

Where are you in your cycle? You can gain 5-10 pounds of water from hormones just before the period. Are you taking any medications - even aspirin can cause water retention.

I don't want to try and persuade you away from your decision. But be sure you are using real numbers. Have your clothes changed & gotten tighter? Did you measure yourself when you started & how are those doing?

You are right that the second time around is slower and may need more tweaking with supplements and keeping things very simple.

I can hear your pain and I am so sorry for it. I wish I could wave a magic wand for both of us.

Hugs,
BarB
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 08:30

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sizzle, please see my reply to you in your Journal .

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 08:33
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

I am no BFL expert by any means, but isn't the indication of success on BFL body fat percentage and not weight?

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 11:32

BF:

OK, OK, sigh. Just got back from the doctor where I was told that I was clinically depressed and prescribed Celexa. Doc says that it may be the reason I am not losing weight and feeling like general crap lately. I will try out this medication, however I have been on prozac before for PMDD and it helped not a bit. Time will tell I guess.

As far as some of the suggestions you have been throwing out there.. Yes, my clothes are getting tighter and tighter. I have gone from a size small uniform pant to a medium size and am seriously contemplating a large size since I can barel;y breath in the medium. I weighed in at the doctor today and yes it is up to 191. Makes ya feel really good...I felt like crying. And Nat, I agree I have probably been sabotaging myself, but I have also been working out and lifting weights and it boggles my mind how it can be physically possible to eat fewer calories than you burn in a day and NOT lose SOME weight, regardless of whether I cheated or not. There is some point where the body has to say "hey, we need to burn somoe fat here as we already used up the calories we have eated" The doc says it is because of depression, but I still find it very illogical.

Sigh....time to go back to work....
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 11:52

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by SiZzLE
And Nat, I agree I have probably been sabotaging myself, but I have also been working out and lifting weights and it boggles my mind how it can be physically possible to eat fewer calories than you burn in a day and NOT lose SOME weight, regardless of whether I cheated or not. There is some point where the body has to say "hey, we need to burn somoe fat here as we already used up the calories we have eated" The doc says it is because of depression, but I still find it very illogical.

Ready for something interesting? This is what Logic would dictate. If I eat X calories less than my maintenance calories and I lose Y amount of fat a week decreasing my calories another 500 will mean I'll lose even more fat a week. I thought this. It seemed Logical. Calories in, calories out. It's not so simple. If the deficit between what you are burning and what you are eating is too great it puts stress on your system. We know what a stressed body does. It holds onto fat and water.

I was eating 1900 calories and burning over 3300. -1400 calorie deficit. TOO MUCH. I was building muscle and losing nadda. I stopped all exercise and started eating more. 2300 calories in vs 2800 calories out. Within 10 days I've lost 9 lbs, and TOM is due this week. There are some graphs from fitday in my journal that demonstrate this much better, if you're interested.

Give yourself a break for a while. Get caught up on your sleep and get some good nutritious food in you. You'll feel a lot better.

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 17:46

BF:

I agree I need a break. I did work out a little while ago though; good lbwo. Didn't really feel like doing it, but hubby bullied me into it heh. I never did go back to work today, just went to the bedroom and went to sleep. Must've slept for about 4 hours. Woke up and felt like crap. Don't know why there is the intense need to sleep all the time.

It is going to be hard for me to go back to high carb diet, so I am not going to. I have intense "Carbophobia", and nothing will get rid of it I fear. I am sticking to high protien though, and moderately low carbs (below 60 a day), and going to try not to eat as much fat with everything (besides good Omega oils ect). Sticking with Chicken and pork, probably grilled or baked or broiled.

As a matter of fact I am hungry now, so time to go eat something before I turn inside out.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 18:45

Plan: atkins/PP/my own
Stats: 180/133/140
BF:sz 14/4-6/toned 4
Progress: 118%
Thumbs up

Hi Sizzle,

THe diet you proposed for yourself sounds not so bad! I think maybe the restrictive nature of Atkins was too much for you in troubled emotional times--since you (by your own account) cheated many times. Guilt compounded with depression is not the best combination (believe me, I've been there!). I would suggest letting yourself heal on a mental level, and stay away from the really "bad" carbs as much as possible while you're at it, but not making weight loss your #1 priority. It's too easy to get wrapped up in the weight loss game, with the highs and lows that are inherently involved, and allow it to control how you feel about yourself (depending on the ketostick or number on a scale, etc). Your #1 priority right now should be you, and that includes not only your weight, but your mind and heart too!

Nat is absolutely right about the calorie issue. I would also like to add that stress (and the release of cortisol, the stress hormone) is a very powerful weight gain instigator. Keep that in mind, and please don't think of your weight gain as a FAILURE. So many factors are at work here.

I hope I didn't poke my nose too far in to where it didn't belong! I only wish you good luck and good thoughts, Sizzle

Gracie
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 22:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's/PP
Stats: 156/138/125
BF:?/32.5%/20%
Progress: 58%
Default don't give up!

Hey Sizzle!

Reading your posts it sounds like you are on the right track mentally. You are trying to fix the problem instead of just giving up. That is very important.

I also agree with these gals to rest up, don't worry or stress about this and remember that it may take a little time for your meds to kick in and then you may be more mentally strong to keep on going in the right direction.

In the mean time, maybe read up on other plans and extract information that may help you customize your own eating.

Just keep posting, it will make you feel better. We are all here for support!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 08:12

Plan: Meat, leaves, & berries
Stats: 192/175/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Cool When I need a break ....

When I need a break 'cause I'm sick of being critical of and sensitive to everything I put in my mouth, I "go back to basics" and eat whatever I want EXCEPT: sugar, flour (that includes pretzels, sister!), pasta, and rice. I eat all I want of any and all veggies and fruit (but no juice), meat, even MILK (which I love and really miss), nuts, yoghurt (plain & add your own fruit), all kinds of yummy stuff. And I don't count the carbs as I think when you're omitting sugar, flour, rice and pasta from your diet they're bound to be in an acceptable range anyway.

Janice
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 11:36

BF:

heheh, I have to really laugh when everyone mentions pretzels, like they are my evil nemesis or something. There was just a few days where they were available and sounded really good, and I only had a few and haven't even had any since that time a while back. I don't keep them in the house even lol!

I feel better today, I guess I got my pity party out of my system yesterday. I go up and down with that stuff, hopefully the meds will straighten me out. I am hungry now, think I am going to go hit my tunafish. Thanks for all the suggestions and support guys.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 11:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I certainly wish you all the best in the losing weight area and in the just feeling better about life area too. I'm so glad you have seen the doctor and are getting some help. Sleeping for hours & naps are part of the depression. Hope the meds will work quickly for you. Enjoy some time to just BE and reduce the stress on yourself.

Hugs.

BarB
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 22:06

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Default Re: Sigh

Good luck Sizzle