Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 07:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 308/296/220 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default I got Gout, Dr ordered off Atkins

Well, I managed to drink myself into Gout over a 10 day vacation in SC. I spent about 14 hours a day in the sun and drank way, way, way too much alcohol. I tried to drink enough water but didn't and was dehydrated for much of the week. I got back and within two days I was in so much pain from my right big toe that I could hardly walk. I went to my Dr and he diagnosed Gout and gave me a anti-inflammatory that took care of the problem in a day. When I told him I was on Atkins he was less than impressed (despite me losing 50 pounds and dropping my blood pressure) and said I should get of the plan and Gout was the first sign. He also insisted in checking my cholesterol since he was sure it would now be a problem. Well, I dropped from 170 fasting prior to the diet to 130 2 hours after a sausage-egg-cheese breakfast. My good number has also increased.

I'm very disappointed in my Dr, he was very negative and brushed my 50-pound weight loss off like it was a 5-pound drop. It seems to more success I have on this diet the more people want to tell me how bad it is for me, there were many people at work who used the Gout as an opportunity to preach to me about how unhealthy Atkins is. I don't think Atkins caused my Gout, I know it didn't help, but it didn't cause it. I think I'm currently in the market for a new Physician.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 08:22

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

this is too bad! no, LC does not cause gout--in fact, it can cure it. Good luck finding a new MD--it's worth the effort. In a way, this experience could be a gift...if he's this out of the center of nutritional knowledge, who knows what else he might not know that would be truly life-threatening to you? It's safer to have a smarter doc.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 10:13

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

I'm not a doctor, but the first sign of gout is... well that you have gout. Does he think that no one except us LC'ers get gout?

I am still amazed at how a person, especially a doctor, can just make a blanket statement whithout really knowing all the facts of what they are talking about.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 10:23

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I have to agree with what others have said. And I do find some humor in his comment about "said I should get of the plan and Gout was the first sign. ". I mean really. People that aren't low carbing gets gout, the Atkin's diet certainly doesn't cause it otherwise you would have every member on this forum coming down with it!

Hand him his sign that says "idiot" and find a new doctor I am with Raz on this one. I certainly wouldn't want to trust my health to someone so ill informed.

Good for you for standing up and having the courage to change doctors or at least questioning his reasoning.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 14:52

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Aside from the gout, it sounds like you're doing great. I think you're smart to look for a new doctor who will work with you on this.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 19:42

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Your doctor is so confused, or at best misinformed; a low carb diet does not cause gout. My husband developed gout fifteen years ago and for years he took allopurinol. We have been eating LC for almost two years, and in December he and his urologist decided he should stop taking the medication and see what happened. He hasn't had as much as a twinge in five months.

When are these doctors going to take off the blinders and admit that the low fat high carb diet they still cling to is the cause of so many health problems? What happened to the part of their oath that says "do no harm?"

Stories like this really make me crazy (as if you couldn't tell :rolleyes

Karla
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 06:12

Stats: 308/296/220 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 14%

In my research into Gout I did find that some of the contributing factors were increased consumption of red meat, consumption of organ meats (liver, kidney, hearts), consumption of shell fish, and rapid weight loss. Given these things its hard to argue that Atkins could at least contribute to the problem. There are of course many other factors, the biggest of which are dehydration and heavy alcohol use, this is what I believe contributed greatly to my acute attack. Of course, there is also a school of thought that there is no way to determine what causes Gout, its a very difficult thing to put a handle on.

My personal thought is that Atkins made me volunerable to Gout, and my reckless behavior caused me to get it. Either way I will refrain from putting myself into this position again.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 06:34

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Change doctors.
Keep your diet to yourself this time.
Your weightloss has probably been the very best thing you ever could have done for your health - not the worst.
Gout- Gout is an acute and chronic inflammatory arthritis mainly occurring in thirty- to sixty-year-old men. Fewer than one in ten women suffer from gout. Estimates vary, but over 500,000 people have gout. We know that gout is caused by sodium monourate crystals that collect in the joint fluid, which can cause terrible pain and swelling of joints; the big toe is often severely afflicted. One indication of gout is that too much uric acid is produced by the body or too little is excreted by the kidneys; either condition results in too much uric acid in the body, including the joints. There is also a related disease, pseudogout, which is in the same disease family but linked to another chemical in the body called calcium pyrophosphate dihydrate (CPPD).
"Copyright © 1998 by Earl J. Brewer, Jr., M.D. and Kathy Cochran Angel. From The Arthritis Sourcebook, by arrangement with NTC Contemporary Publishing Group."

What may have cause it?
I'd agree and predict that the Atkins diet (because it contains more/but not excessive meats) may have "set the stage" for you for Gout. Then your drinking "binge" no offense - pushed you right into it.

"Many associated events can trigger an acute episode, including high blood pressure, excessive drinking, being overweight, and even love of foods rich in purines (proteins that are important sources of uric acid) such as glandular meats (sweetbreads), wine, anchovies, beer, and gravies. Stress or an associated illness can also trigger an attack."
"Copyright © 1998 by Earl J. Brewer, Jr., M.D. and Kathy Cochran Angel. From The Arthritis Sourcebook, by arrangement with NTC Contemporary Publishing Group."

Sure, anyone can overdose on meat and alcohol - that would not be a healthy diet in any case and I would expect health problems to come of that! BUT Atkins is intended to be a more balanced way of eating, not excess in any direction- essential fats, essential proteins and healthy vegetables.
How could any doctor NOT prescribe it?

Hang in there. Just think - what if you went off the diet, gained your weight back, became unhealthy - and put your life at risk that way? Look, gout is treatable. Death from a heartattack is not.

Atkins does not cause gout. Atkins and alcohol in excess may increase your chances. If you think you have a drinking problem please get help. It may have been a "one time thing", but if it happens again and then again or if you find yourself with Gout for a 2nd time it might be time to reconsider the actual problem. Not saying you have a problem with alcohol, only you would know that.

Okay, I've said my peace.
Nsmith4366
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 21:07

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Default Re: I got Gout, Dr ordered off Atkins

Quote:
Originally posted by Babacah
said I should get of the plan and Gout was the first sign.

HAHAHAHA thats BS!!!! My grandfather is 90yrs old, ITALIAN..which means the guy eats about 50,00000 carbs a day.. and he has gout. HAHAHA He sure as heck didn't get it from Atkins or any kind of low carb diet.

hahahaha My moms even laughing at this, and she's not even too supportive about me doing Atkins.

Just get a new doctor.