Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 10:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%
Angry Need suggestions

I seem to stall for very long periods of time and need suggestions regarding what to do to get things moving again. I started Atkins in June of 2001. I had already stopped eating white flour and sugar a month before and dropped a few pounds before starting. I lost a few pounds on induction but the ketostix we always negative with the exception of the third day of a fat fast when they showed a 'trace'. I did 12 weeks of BFL Jan. - April 2002 still following low carb, but increased carbs to 40 - 50 grams. I took 2 weeks off (still following low carb), bought New Diet Revolution, and did 2 weeks of induction following that plan.

I was elated when because the weight finally began to come off and the ketostix changed to trace for the first time since the fat fast! However, that only lasted the first few days and I keep going up and down the scale ever since.

I use Fitday to track carbs and calories, I walk, do Tae Boe, etc. for at least 30 mins. per day 4 - 6 days per week and do weights 45 mins. per day 3 days per week. I have lost some inches and gone down in size since I began. However, I now seem to have really stalled and feel like nothing is happening. I try to avoid dairy, Aspartame, nuts, and high sodium or processed foods because I know they cause me to stall. I drink my water (at least 100 oz.) and take my vitamins.

Typical Menu:

Breakfast: 1/4 cup ground flax with 1/2 cup hot water and Splenda; 2 oz. leftover meat (chicken, roast beef, etc.) or an omelet

Snack: Left over meat w/mayo; veggies (celery, pepper strips, etc.)

Lunch: Chef salad w/mixed greens, leftover meat, olive oil and vinegar dressing or leftovers from supper (meat and veggies)

Supper: Meat (steak, chicken, roast beef, pork tenderloin, etc.), 2 veggies (salad, cauliflower, broccoli, etc.)

I am very discouraged lately. I have no intention of leaving this WOL because I feel so good, but I really would like to get the scales and/or tape measure to start moving downward again.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas that worked for them, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 10:22

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Peg, do you know how many calories you're eating daily? On the advice of some people from another board I increased what I thought was a lot of calories (1800-1900) to even more (2300+) and started losing again, inches and fat lbs. The inches were always coming off but I was growing more and more muscle at the expense of fat loss (2 lbs fat gone, 3 lbs mucle gained).

For the amount of energy I was expending with the lifting and the cardio I was not taking in enough food. They screamed "stavation mode" at me - which I found ironic and yet pretty bang on once I did the calculations.

Just a thought.
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 10:41

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%
Default try it

Hey Pegm,

Try following what Nat suggests.... She's one smart cookie(low carb, of course!).... lol....
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 12:50

BF:

My calories vary widely from day to day -- between 1800 and 2400 per day. I had been attributing the slow loss and long stalls to quiting smoking, but it will be 1 year on June 1st since I quit, and I would think that my body should have adjusted by now.

I have a very hard time increasing my calories -- any suggestions as to what to eat without turning to processed foods or dairy? (I can only eat so much mayo and blue cheese dressing, and there's not much to butter outside of some veggies). I have also been trying to limit my red meat and especially the fat on the meats because of my blood pressure. Best thing I've found to add fat is chicken wings, but I can only eat so many of those, too.

Thanks again!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 15:48

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Are you on BP medication or other prescription drugs? Atkins says that almost every prescription can affect losing. Drinking the water can help bring BP down.

BarB
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 16:16

BF:

Good ideas, but they do not apply.

I am not taking any meds at all -- it's come down to just borderline high since beginning low carb, but it should be coming down more (doc says lose more pounds to bring it down more, which is why I'm trying to get the scales to move down). PP says that egg yolks and red meats (esp. the fat in red meats) can cause it, so I am trying to limit those.

I drink a minimum of 100 oz. of water per day -- often more than that.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 17:16
Registered Member

Stats: 165/141/130
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Veggies

I just started on Atkins, so ignore me if you want.

I noticed when I started using FitDay that it was almost impossible to stay under 20 grams of carbs a day and still eat as many vegetables as Atkins recommends (even when subtracting fiber). So I cut back significantly and that did the trick. I notice your menu has quite a few veggies. Could this be it?

The other thing is: Could you be tweaking it too much? Maybe trying to make only one change at a time and watching yourself for a week? Just thinkin.

Henbane
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 18:22

BF:

I was kinda thinking about cutting back on the veggies again to see if it helps. I did lose more on induction when I had less veggies -- at least at first. But the loss did stall before the 2 weeks was up and before I began adding back more veggies. It might be worth a try, though, to see if I can get things moving in the right direction again. Thanks for the input!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 22:15

Stats: 211/186/150
BF:211/186/150
Progress: 41%

good advice
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-25-02, 20:06

Plan: LC
Stats: 180/179/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 3%

I think Tofi might be right.

I take BP medication, although it seems to be under control now, but I have been stalled for 4 weeks. Not giving up, but I think this might have something to do with it.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-26-02, 08:14

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

This is a question prompted by Mrs R who is on HRT.

Oestrogen replacement can definately block weight loss. If it is a factor then I must defer to others with direct experience.

If this is not a factor in your circumstances, it is still true that at our age it is like getting blood from a stone persuading the pounds to shift.

But for me there is no other show in town other than LC. What other choice makes more sense.