Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 22:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/235/200
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default See how ghood we can eat? It's amazing to me!

The more in the groove I get with this WOE, the more ways I seem to find to 'exploit' it.

We (Tammie and I) had a really nice day here in West Texas. I hope you all had a good one too. Tammie and I decided to cook outside and to indulge within the limits of our new WOL. I think this will work, how 'bout you?

We prepared jalapeno poppers for an appetizer, blackened fresh tuna with a shrimp and scallops cajun style sauce and smoked prime rib for the entree.

Here are the roasted jalapenos stuffed with cream and cheddar cheese wrapped in bacon. Not many carbs there....

Starting the shrimp and scallop cream sauce for the blackened tuna.

The sauce is reducing. The tuna is blackened on one side and is now blackening on the other side.

Blackened tuna drenched in the cajun style seafood sauce.

Smoked prime rib from the day before is warmed on the grill and added to the entree.

It's amazing to me the further we get into this WOE, we seem to find ways to eat and yet not feel 'deprived'. This meal comprised mostly of the basic ingredients we are 'restricted to', like; butter, cream cheese, cream, mayo, meat proteins, and seafood. This WEEKEND meal fits into our new WOE and still allows us to get 'extravagant' and have fun cooking.

WE LOVE THIS WOE !

Hope you all had as nice a day as I had !

Cheers,

Paul
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 03:03
Registered Member

Stats: 285/199/130
BF:
Progress: 55%
Exclamation It's 5 a.m.

And you're already making me H U N G R Y! Thanks for sharing, when are we invited over for dinner?<G>
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 07:27
Registered Member

BF:

The backyard is ALWAYS in use on the weekends, Lisa. So, just any old time is fine.

This is such a nice time of year for us weather wise. The blistering heat has not yet started.

We certainly don't eat like that every day but on the weekends, ya gotta spice it up a little!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 07:35

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post I'm drooling...

Excellent photos of what looks to be a great meal...

...our outdoor grill is working year round! My other half is Canadian, so a little cold weather (and we get some wicked cold in Chicago) doesn't stop us!

And you're SO right, Paul. This WOE/WOL is amazingly good. When I hear people bad mouth it, I just let it go....let them suffer through low cal, low fat plans. Not for me!

Continued success and LC enjoyment to you both!

Donald
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 07:48

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Looks yummy!

How do you make your seafood sauce? Looks fantastic!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 07:59
Registered Member

Stats: 285/199/130
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Thank you!

That was very sweet of you to offer. I'm afraid I don't get to Texas often/ever. I did spend some time in Oklahoma and fully believe the reason Texas doesn't fall into the Gulf is because Oklahoma sucks.

Your pictures are great as well!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 09:02

Stats: 154/126/126
BF:
Progress: 100%
Cool Drool...Drool!!!

Corrrrrr!

I'm sitting here drooling over your photos, they look brill!!!

You must post the recipe for the cream sauce in looks delicious, I wish our British weather was as warm as yours. We are still yet to see any summer and it's mid May!!! I need some warmth on my bones!!

Enjoy the good food available to us!
Banana
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 09:08
Registered Member

BF:
Default Re: I'm drooling...

Quote:
Originally posted by DWRolfe
[B]
And you're SO right, Paul. This WOE/WOL is amazingly good. When I hear people bad mouth it, I just let it go....let them suffer through low cal, low fat plans. Not for me!

Donald

Donald, I see from your stats that you are doing great. Congrats! Your post reminds me of a John Prine song where he talks about being from 'Chicago, where the cold wind blows'.

I wish I had found this WOE 20 years ago. I could not agree with you more regarding letting what others say slip in one ear and out the other. Good luck!

Paul
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 09:13

Plan: Atkins, BFL
Stats: 182.5/160/125
BF:
Progress: 39%
Thumbs up Mmmmmmmmmmm~!!

Oh my goodness Paul~!! Those photos look so great.....and I'm so~ hungry now!! We've never been much for grilling outside, but I'm going to invest in a good outdoor grill this summer

I think I'm going to eat a huge rib eye steak with garlic butter sauteed mushroom and oven roasted red peppers for lunch.....woo hoo~!!

#10   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 10:00
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by agonycat
Looks yummy!

How do you make your seafood sauce? Looks fantastic!

Thanks for the kind words. Wasn't it just a glorius day here in Texas yesterday? Enjoy the moderate weather while we can huh?

The sauce is a combination of butter, mayo, cream cheese, heavy cream, parsley and spicy seasoning. The shrimp (5 jumbo) and scallops (5) were cut into small pieces, sauteed in butter (1/2 stick), mayo (two tablespoons), and cream cheese (1/4 cup) then the heavy cream (1 cup) was stirred in. The seasoning I used? Small pieces of parsley, chipotle (choke chili), red chili powder, cayenne, salt and pepper. The sauce was simmered on low until it was reduced to the desired consistancy. I like it thick.

The blackening of the Tuna is really alot of fun although due to the smoke, it's almost a must to do it outside unless you have good vent-a-hood in your kitchen.

Melt two sticks of unsalted butter. Pour the butter on the Tuna and set in the freezer to cause the butter to 'cake'. Do this twice covering both sides of the Tune well. Liberally (heavily) season the Tuna after the butter is firm and thick with cajun spices and return to freezer. (I use Paul Prudhome's cajun dry rub) Heat a dry cast iron skillet for at least 10 to 15 minutes on high. The hotter the skillet, the better. Put the Tuna in the skillet. It will smoke like a train! That Tuna was almost 2 inches thick. I allowed it 5 minutes on one side and then turned it allowing 3 minutes on the other side. It will form a black crust on both sides.

Pour the seafood sauce on the Tuna and viola!

Other fish that we've done this way includes; redfish, catfish and snapper. I'm sure there are other types of fish it works well with but those are the kinds that we have used. Also, other kinds of seafood can be used in the sauce. (lobster, crab meat, crawfish, etc..)

Hope this helps. I'm a 'by the seat of the pants cook' so exact portions of ingredients are rarely measured. Sorry.

Buenos Dias.

Paul

Last edited by PaulB : Mon, May-20-02 at 10:06.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 12:39

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulB

Thanks for the kind words. Wasn't it just a glorius day here in Texas yesterday? Enjoy the moderate weather while we can huh?

Yes the weather here in Texas has been glorious for a change. Nice cool evenings and nice warm sunny days. It has been a while since we got a long spring Normally I think we jump from winter to summer in a few weeks. I see you are sporting a ASU T, do you still live down in the southwest?

Thank you for sharing your seafood sauce I will have to give it a try this weekend.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 14:21

Moved thread to the recipe section because I want to make this and it took me forever to find it again!

#13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 09:42
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 160/150/145
BF:
Progress: 67%

Paul: I can't open your menu pictures. You have my e-mail address, would you pleeeeeeeeeeease e-mail them to my e-mail?

Thanks,

Wanda L. From Texas
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 10:08
Registered Member

Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Me Too!

I saw the pics when they were first posted and they looked great (actually inspired me to get a BBQ for the new place). Perhaps they got lost in the transfer.

I agree with agonycat, I have been thinking about the recipes but forgot where to look for them. Perhaps we can assimilate everything in a BBQ section.

Colin