Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 11:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/161/145
BF:
Progress: 52%
Question Tired And Weak

I just started the induction phase 5 days ago and I have lost 7 pounds. I'm thrilled with the loss but I have absolutely no energy and my legs feel as though they won't hold me up. Has anyone else experienced this in the beginning? Should I stick with it, add more carbs? I've been using the Ketostix and am showing a moderate fat loss on the stick. I don't want to go off the diet but I don't have the energy to wiggle. Help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 12:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Sounds like you are still going through withdrawals. This will pass and your energy will pick back up again. Do not add more carbs to your diet. This is just your bady adjusting to burning fat instead of glucose for energy. Are you taking extra potassium supplements? That really worked for me.

Without knowing what you are eating, how much water you are drinking, and what supplements you are taking, I really can't say if this is diet-related or just the usual withdrawals associated with the first week of Atkins.

-Shelly
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 12:47

Plan: SBD + Exercise
Stats: 218/211/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi Nanajs,

Don't despair! From what I have heard, it is not unusual to feel a bit weak, right about where you are during induction. I has something to do with the body cleansing that is happening. I don't know how much food you are consuming, but it should be around 10-12 times your current body weight. This seems like a great deal of food if you have a history of "dieting", but it is what it takes to keep that fine machine running properly. Also, don't sweat the keto stix too much. As long as there is some color, you are in Ketosis. From what I've read on this forum, the greater the colore just means the more concentrated the ketones are. Darker colors are usually indicative of not enough water. Water consumption by the way should be 64 oz + 8 oz for every 25lbs you wish to lose-as a mimimum.

Stay with the induction. I promise you will feel better before it is over. (unless there is something else going on, of course )

Best of luck to you in your journey!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 13:03

BF:
Talking tired and weak

Thanks for the advice. I feel better already. I haven't consumed more than 20 grams of carbs on any given day. I'm drinking more than 75 oz. water a day, taking multivitamin and a fat burner but no potasium. I'll try adding some potasium today. The only carbs I've had have been from cucumber,tomato,leaf lettuce,bean sprouts, cubes of cheddar,etc. I don't feel hungry most of the time which is such a change from previous diets I've tried and failed at. I'm using the palm of the hand measure for meat portions(may not be atkins). I'll stick with it now that I know someone else has felt the same way. I didn't realize what a true blue carb addict I was! Thanks for the info and happy dieting to all of you.
Nanajs
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 13:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

I see you are taking a fat burner, but in order for the Atkins diet to work, and your body to work at optimal performance you need fat in your diet. In this way of eating fat is your friend! Fat is what keeps your appetite at bay, cuts your cravings.

We've been conditioned for years that eating fat will make us fat - not true! I still fight the "fat is my enemy" thoughts that go around in my head from time to time.

We keep getting more fat-free foods in the marketplace and they get consumed on an every increasing basis - but as a people - we are more overweight than we ever have been before! You know what they put in most low-fat/fat-free foods to make them taste better? Sugar.

If you get hungry, eat something high in fat!

It takes some time getting used to this new way of thinking, but you seem so commited and determined, you can do it!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 13:24
Registered Member

Plan: to be happy
Stats: // Female 168
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default you sound just like me not so long ago

Hi,
I sent a very similar post (entitled 'Terrible fatigue - please help before I quit!') when I was on day 5 and was also assured that things would improve. It was true, now I'm on day 12 and feeling at least as good as before I started this WOL. Dr. A. claims that people usually get their energy back around day 3, but from reading this forum I have learned that it takes a lot of people several days longer to get to this stage. I would advise you to get plenty of rest and make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need. If you're like me you'll be feeling better in a few days.
Annie.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 16:59

BF:
Thumbs up

Thanks for your support. I am going to stick to it and lose another 15 pounds. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow feeling more energetic. I have been using butter and olive oil in generous amounts. It's just that in the 90's fat became public enemy #1 and I had really programmed myself to believe that. I am allergic to milk so that's out. I think I may try to find new fats to add to my diet and increase my portions for the next few days. My husband says I haven't been eating enough to keep a bird alive and he's convinced that I'm making myself sick. I'm not sick - I'm just limp. Tomorrow is another day and I feel better knowing someone else has experienced the same thing. This forum is fantastic!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 06:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CKD
Stats: 221.0/219.0/190.0 Male 6.0
BF:
Progress: 6%
Thumbs up Hang in there...

Hi,

It's tough eating enough when the program actually makes you feel full without eating as much as you're used to. It's also difficult to MAKE YOURSELF eat when you've been programmed to MAKE YOURSELF starve. Try to up your lean protein as much as possible (extra chicken and tuna/salmon).

Without fail anytime I have gone to atkins from a higher carb diet I've gone through a period of withdrawal. The length of that period seems to be dictated by various factors including physiology, gender, age, and a host of others (some of which have been mentioned by other members of the group). One thing I would recommend is to get outside for a walk -- it's amazing what can happen.

Go at your own pace, so for example don't set out to powerwalk 10 miles. If all you can do is walk around the block a couple of times that's great. Alternately you can go for shorter walks a couple of times a day (morning/evening or lunch/evening). The nice thing about walking is that it's yours and you can go with your energy level.

But what we're trying to achieve here is to launch the body into a mode where it really works to clean itself up!

So the first day might be tough, but the next day will be easier and so on and so on.

ALSO, another thing that really helped me with the weakness was to add supplemental magnesium in the evening.

Good luck! Before you know it you'll be wondering where all of the energy came from!

paulwales
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 05:28

Plan: Paleoish
Stats: 218/175/155 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
My husband says I haven't been eating enough to keep a bird alive and he's convinced that I'm making myself sick.

Another thing to watch for is that you are eating enough calories. Not eating enough can also make you lethargic and undo all the good you are doing by restricted carbs.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ght=fat+is+good
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...0&highlight=BMR
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...2541#post302541

You will find more links on similar subjects at Karen's Hotlinks (at the top of the Newbies Question's page).

Melberry
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 07:31

BF:
Cool

Thank you everyone for your support. I have compiled advice from each of you and modified my caloric intake, added magnesium and potassium and this morning I awakened feeling much more like my previous self-- only 12 pounds thinner. I really think the lethargy was a combination of eating too few calories and my body having a heck of a time detoxifying all the carb damage. I tried walking last week but felt as though my legs wouldn't hold me up. I'm going to try again today. If not for this forum I surely would have given up already. The support is wonderful. Thanks again to each of you who posted good advice.
Joyce
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 16:24

Plan: Paleoish
Stats: 218/175/155 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 68%

I am so glad that you feel better now and that we were able to help. The first week can be hard to get over but it is well worth it. I see you have lost another 5lbs!! That is wonderful!! I think most people who fail on this way of life do so because they are not informed enough. Being a member of this site helps significantly.
Keep it up!

Melberry
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 16:51

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Glad to hear that you're feeling better, Joyce! The energy and endurance really do get better the longer you do this as long as you are keeping up your calories, water and supplements. If someone had told me a year ago that I'd be able to do 30 minutes of combined cardio/weight resistance without dropping dead, I would have told them they were nuts, but today that's exactly what I did and felt great doing it!