Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 14:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/122/115
BF:
Progress: 79%
Exclamation I'm always hungry, pls help!

Hello everyone,
I've been really really hungry for the past week. I tried to drink glasses of water instead of reaching for food when I was hungry, but it was real hunger
For the last few days, I've been averaging about 2500kcal a day but I'm still really hungry. If I didn't hold back myself, that could've easily been 3500kcal, I kid u not. With 2500kcal, I'm only 40% - 50% full.
I've been on this WOE for 5 months (except a 3-day slip up a couple of months ago ). I've noticed that LC does not suppress my appetite at all
I've always been a big-eater. My mum said that I was already drinking 8 oz of milk, 8 times a day by the time I was a month old B4 this WOE, I had to eat 2 large plates of rice / noodles each meal (I'm pretty sure that I was a carb-junkie) I always ordered 2 McDonalds' meals & ate them all by myself I guess I'm pretty lucky that I didn't weigh 300lbs.
Should I eat til I'm full?
I'm 135lbs, eating 2500kcal is already 18.5 times my weight BTW, I only do 15 minutes of hula-hooping a day & about 30 minutes of walking (to the market). My fat-intake is about 65% of my kcal, about 30g of carbs a day.
Any input would be much appreciated. I thank u all in advance.

Bebe

PS. My daily menus are in my journal. I'd be really grateful for your advice / input Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 17:57

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Disney...I'm not sure what to tell you. Are you sure that the measurements on fitday are what you are really eating? Sometimes it defauts to something other than what you want, like a cup instead of a tablespoon. I looked at your journal and it doesn't seem like 2,500 calories worth of food to me. If it's really accurate, you might try substituting something more filling for breakfast and snacks than mixed nuts or perhaps the nuts are causing an insulin reaction in your system with resulting hunger pangs?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 18:49

BF:

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for responding to my thread & taking the time to read my menus.
I'm positive that I'm not miscalculating my food portions in Fitday. I always check twice, especially with mayo, butter (who eats a cup of them stuff ).

RE: Nuts
Will cut down on them from now on. Having nuts for breakfast was a bad choice. Actually, am gonna stay away from them as much as possible.

It's 8:45am here. I got up 2 hours ago & I've eaten a large chicken leg, a tbsp of mayo & 2 mock danishes (no AS)
I wasn't craving for food but was genuinely hungry. I was still starving after I had the chicken leg & mock danish. I drank a litre of water & waited for 15 minutes, but I was still really hungry! I had to eat another mock danish. I've eaten 1202kcal already & it's not even 9am yet
What is wrong with me

Bebe
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 19:36

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

If you are hungry EAT. You'll be surprised at how NOT hungry you may be the next day. Our bodies go through stages of growth, healing, change and your caloric needs one day may be greater than another.

Don't sweat it. Eat.

Just wait, soon you'll be saying - "funny thing, no appetite today".

The body knows what it needs. When I exercise I'm very hungry, when I don't I'm not. The body knows.

N
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 19:43
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/BFL
Stats: 195/177/150
BF:30%/27%/21%
Progress: 40%

You don't say whether you are losing/gaining/maintaining.

If you are losing, that may explain the hunger. I have noticed I am unusally hungry right after a loss. I'm guessing it is my body's way to try to get me to gain the weight back.

Do you have hidden MSG in your foods? MSG is a trigger food for me.

I didn't look at your journal, but if you aren't already, you might try some veggies with more fiber like celery, cabbage, and spinach. Think bulk.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 19:44
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

hi Bebe,

Are you gaining or losing weight with all this?? If you don't mind me asking .. how's the other end of the digestive tract working? Everything normal?

If you were eating high carbs, I might suspect diabetes. But you're LC'ing just fine, so that's not likely it.

If you're restless, agitated, not sleeping, heart feels like it's racing, it might be your thyroid .. too high.

Could it be PMS? or ... dare I ask .. pregnant?

If everything is fine .. all that you eat and drink is coming out normally and you're not gaining weight with it, nor losing weight suddenly .. then I'd say just keep feeding. Don't go for long hours in between meals.

Another thought .. do you eat quickly or slowly? The appestat ... that part of the brain that tells us we're full .. takes 20 minutes to switch off from when we start eating. If we eat really fast, even though we're physically full, the brain is still telling us we're hungry. Slow down. Have some low carb soup or broth before you eat the meat

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 03:46

BF:

Hey Nsmith4366, TX_Mama & Doreen,
Thank u so much for answering.
I cook 95% of my meals, so there shouldn't be any MSG in my food.
Last week I gained 2lbs (to 136lbs). Today I'm 133lbs. I've been weighing 133lbs to 135lbs for a few weeks.
I do a "number 2" everyday. My digestive tract is working fine & normal
I've been a bit restless lately, can't sleep for more than 6 hours a day.
My heartrate is usually 76/min when I'm sitting down resting. About 95/min when I'm cooking, washing the dishes (doing light housework). About 120/min when I play with my hula-hoop.
I'm not pregnant. Had a fight with DH 2 months ago & haven't given him any since Could be PMS though. Thanks for pointing that out.
I've noticed that my right foot is really really dry, cracked even (sorry for being disgusting). My left foot is fine though.
I used to eat very quickly b4 this WOE but not anymore. Now I really take my time & enjoy my food.
Thanks again for replying to my thread. U guys are great

regards,
Bebe
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 04:43

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

as usual i always like to quote my 3/4 chicken appetite.

it took me some wks to stabilise my appetite...which now 3/4 chicken doesnt appeal to me.

whats more i see you have been lowcarbing continuously for 5 mths.....so haha if your parents can afford if u are depending on them......why dont you eat till you are satisfied? maybe you can rotate a few sets of foods...?

or simply eat those proteins that u find boring? may help. last time i decided to take some sardines to curb my appetite. and soon with just 3 little sardines , my mind felt it tasted soo fishy and it stopped me from eating.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 06:17

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default This is interesting....

Disneybebe...

I used my book of food counts to add up the calories from what you ate (listed above) and then used Fitday to do the same and came up with about 700 calories each time. This is just a theory on my part, but it could also be related to the time of year. Last fall I found I was really hungry for a period of a couple of weeks and after discussing it on another board we decided that it was our bodies' instinct to stock up for the long winter ahead. Maybe it works the same way in the spring...our bodies are thinking "hey...winter's over! Time to start eating again and replenish what I didn't get over the long hard winter" even if we were getting plenty over the winter months. Maybe there's nothing to it at all, but I did notice that when the weather started warming up and the days getting longer here, I went through another period of being unusually hungry again for a few weeks. My DH noticed it too. I wonder if anyone else on the board noticed this? Usually I'm rarely hungry with this WOL. There have been a few busy weekend days when I've gotten all the way to dinnertime and realized that I hadn't eaten yet that day and still wasn't hungry! Please note...I know that's not a good thing and usually make sure that I eat 3 meals a day even if I'm not really hungry.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 09:41

BF:

Hi Lisa- Thanks for running those numbers for me. I didn't post a detailed menu b4. Here's the detailed food list & I ran it thru Fitday:
a deep-fried chicken leg, with bone, 7.14oz = 353kcal
plus 1/2 tbsp of oil = 60kcal
a tbsp of Kraft mayo = 100kcal
ingredients of 2 mock danishes: 4oz of cream cheese, 2 eggs, 1oz of butter, vanilla = 684kcal
Total 1197kcal
It's getting hot here in HK. Maybe there's something to your theory

Hi Fumih- Thanks for responding to my thread. Will eat til I'm satisfied. BTW, I love sardines the fishier the merrier

Thanks again girls!

Bebe
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 13:33

Stats: 168/158/148 Female 5'4"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 50%
Default hi

Hi,
i know what you mean....yesterday i ate non-stop practically. always low carb, but i was starving! today i have NO appetite! weird huh? eating more protein/fats will fill you up too.

do you have access to pepperoni? i love the chips, microwave pepperoni on a paper towel for a minute or so.....YUM!

hang in there!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 16:43

BF:

Hiya Kimberlina,
Thanks for answering to my thread
It's nice to know that I'm not the only LCer with an appetite
Will try the pepperoni-chips, thanks for the idea.
Have a great day!

Bebe

PS. I cheated today. I ate a piece of freshly baked cake. Yesterday I was just saying that how I don't really cheat & then I blew it. How embarrassing......
The piece of cake had 41g of carbs
(One = 10g of carbs)
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 23:51

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

usually before i eat that piece of fresh nice smelling cake....i will ask myself do i want to wait for a week before my weight continues to go down. thats usually the punishment when i cheated. but if i decide to have a go, i will be mentally prepared.

Singapore is also getting so hot...it gets to 31 degrees celcius at night these days......argh! the back of my knees are sweating bad.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-12-02, 02:45

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Default Re: I'm always hungry, pls help!

Quote:
Originally posted by disneybebe
Hello everyone,
I've been really really hungry for the past week. I tried to drink glasses of water instead of reaching for food when I was hungry, but it was real hunger
For the last few days, I've been averaging about 2500kcal a day but I'm still really hungry. If I didn't hold back myself, that could've easily been 3500kcal, I kid u not. With 2500kcal, I'm only 40% - 50% full.
I've been on this WOE for 5 months (except a 3-day slip up a couple of months ago ). I've noticed that LC does not suppress my appetite at all
I've always been a big-eater. My mum said that I was already drinking 8 oz of milk, 8 times a day by the time I was a month old B4 this WOE, I had to eat 2 large plates of rice / noodles each meal (I'm pretty sure that I was a carb-junkie) I always ordered 2 McDonalds' meals & ate them all by myself I guess I'm pretty lucky that I didn't weigh 300lbs.
Should I eat til I'm full?
I'm 135lbs, eating 2500kcal is already 18.5 times my weight BTW, I only do 15 minutes of hula-hooping a day & about 30 minutes of walking (to the market). My fat-intake is about 65% of my kcal, about 30g of carbs a day.
Any input would be much appreciated. I thank u all in advance.

Bebe

PS. My daily menus are in my journal. I'd be really grateful for your advice / input Thanks again.

Wow that sounds exactly like me. .lol I had that same problem a few weeks ago after induction. I had massive hunger pains. They came out of nowhere and actually hurt. I was eating enough fats, i kept ADDING fat to everything because people told me to eat more..But if I didn't stop myself it would have easily been 3000 calories for the day also. One morning It was only 11am and I was already up to 1200. Thats alot to be up to at only 11 am! lol

Did you try eating more vegies? I haven't tried that yet, but someone mentioned that to me. Only thing I could think of that I was slacking on.

Good luck and lemme know if you figure it out..lol
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-12-02, 08:10

BF:

Hey Slim Shady,
Thanks for responding
I'm eating a lot of veggies. I thought that I was eating 2 to 3 cups a day but it turned out that I was actually eating 4 to 6 cups!! The cup I used was 16oz
So, u didn't eat til u're full? Did u gain any weight during your "I'm so hungry" period?
Should we eat til we're full (not stuffed)?
Thanks again.
Good luck to u, too

Bebe