Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 14:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/?/130
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy eating enough??

I have that repeat story also...the first time I was on Atkins...I lost 7 lbs my first week....I'm on day 3 of second week induction and can't tell I've lost....I'm not sure I'm eating enough??? I'm still drinking 3-4 or more cups of coffee , some with Cremora some with half n half....could I be eating to many veggies?? before I actually felt like I was "melting" away...not this time....yes I've always been a yo-yoer....I'm almost 38...and right now not exercising..but I'm not sitting on the couch...moved into new house...so I'm still moving around alot...just unpacking boxes, etc....what am I doing wrong???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 14:27

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: eating enough??

Quote:
Originally posted by melette
yes I've always been a yo-yoer....I'm almost 38...and right now not exercising...what am I doing wrong???

Believe it or not, this has EVERYTHING to do with the rate of loss. Yo-yo dieting slows the metobolism down due to the loss of lean muscle tissue. The aging process also slows down our metobolism. Top it off with a healthy dose of not exercising and bingo.

My two cents for what it is worth to you:
Change your eating habits for life. That is what these low carbohydrate diets are for. To teach us how to eat and what to eat in order for us to maintain our goal weight. Dieting isn't going to do you a bit of good if you don't change the way you eat. You will always bounce back and forth on the scale until one day it won't bounce back, it will stick on the heavy side and nothing you do will get it moving downwards again.

You can rebuild lean muscle tissue by weight training. We can't stop the aging process though.

Eating too little will make the body think it is famine time and it pretty much shuts down fat burning and holds on to water for dear life. Eating a minimum of 10 to 12 times your body weight in calories staves off this starvation switch.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 15:46

Plan: low carb
Stats: 146/132/130
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Yo Yo problem

Melette, Agonycat's advice is right on target. I am a yoyo-er and have tried every cuckoo diet out there -- from cabbage soup to your good-ol-everyday low fat starvation diet.
Two years ago, I too tried Atkins as a "diet," rather than a way of eating. I shrunk off 16 lbs in the month before my wedding. I got married on the 9th day of a 15 day cruise to Hawaii. I stopped my "diet" the minute I got on the cruise ship--I figured, the weight is off, now I can gobble up pancakes, french bread, pasta and all the other gummy gunk I could get my teeth around. By the day of my wedding, I needed three gals from the purser's office to stuff me into my [size 14] wedding gown. Buttons popped off the back of the dress and one of the girls broke most of her nails in her valiant but vain attempt to zipper me in.

Something clicked in my head this January. I reread Dr. Atkins' book and I read any other low carb material I could find. One of the things Dr. Atkins says in his most recent book is something to the effect, "Don't live in the past. If you did this plan in 1996, don't expect the same exact path this time around. It is no longer 1996! You are older this time around and there may be more resistance to weight loss due to more time yo yo-ing." [something along those lines--that isn't the exact quote.]
This time around, my weight loss is much slower, but it doesn't matter to me. In fact, I keep thinking the slow steady pace is giving me plenty of time to learn how I will be eating for the rest of my life. Since January, I have lost 13 pounds and went from wearing size 10/12 to a comfortable size 6. Good luck to you and I hope this helped.