Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 10:10
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default Disappointing BFL 4wk results....HELP!!

Dan, Fern....anyone!! ....

Would you please take a look at my post in the BFL forum and give me your input in these very disappointing 4 wk results? Your help would be very much appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-05-02, 05:35

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default BFL

I have to agree with Nat that protein intake seems a bit low for the low amount of carbs that you are taking in ... remember that if the carbs aren't there, the body can use fat OR protein as a fuel source. Protein needs to be AT LEAST 1 gram per pound ...

As for no results, well, I personally think 4 weeks is adequate.

Then again, I am not a follower of BFL so I can't say fairly and objectively what typical results should be ...

Different people react differently to exercise plans. IMO, BFL doesn't call for enough cardio. AGAIN, THAT IS MY PERSONAL OPINION. It is my belief that the body will adapt to anything that it encounters frequently ... such as 20 minutes of cardio intervals. Even if you "hit 10's", if you do them the same way each time, your intensity ISN'T changing and your body WILL adapt.

My advice is to switch things up in the program. Up your protein, increase cardio 5 minutes for all sessions each week (25 mins next week, 30 mins the folllowing week, etc), and make one of those days a light intensity day (say, Thursday is low-intensity cardio ...)

I don't know your diet, but I would also replace some of your fat calories with flax oil in your protein shakes. It has a funny little way of increasing the fat burning process.

Those are the things I would tell you to do if you were a client of mine ... I realize that I am tampering with the basis of the BFL exercise presciption, but I never was a fan of ANY program that gives a set of directions that everyone is to follow.

Feel free to PM or e-mail me if you need more direct advice ...
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-05-02, 20:45
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Thanks Dan.... I don't have much time (I gotta go squeeze in my 8 hrs sleep!!) but are you saying I should count my flax oil in my fitday counts? I'm currently using 2 tbsp/day in my shakes but I don't count them at all. I try to keep total calories between 1800-2000 (w/o counting flax oil)....maybe I'm taking too many cals.

I'll change up the cardio as you recommend and see what happens. And I'll definitely up the protein.

I appreciate your input very much. I'll keep you posted.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 03:25

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default yep

Definately count the oil in your daily calories ... 2 Tbsp. of flax oil is about 200 cals ...