Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 19:38

Plan: SBD + Exercise
Stats: 218/211/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Thanx to ?...It WORKED!

Let me start by saying that I have come a long way in the past few weeks in my relationship w/my bathroom scale. I have not let the same digital readout for weeks now (give or take 1 lb) affect me. I know I am doing the right things and making the right choices. I feel good!! However, (ther's always a however, isn't there?) this morning seemed to be different. Maybe it's because DH has been cheating a bit here and there and I have been very diligent on my intake, and as of this morning, he has lost another 2lbs and I was "same ol', same ol' " I continued on with my day, reminding myself that I am eating right, I am exercising right, I have great support, and I feel good. About early afternoon, I remebered that pair of jeans I could barely fit over my hips two weeks ago. (Two weeks ago, at the suggestion of a poster, I went and tried on a full size smaller pr. of jeans.)

I decided to take a gamble (if they were still as tight, I would be another peg down in the mental battle ).

UREKA!! I could actualy button them, and with a few jumps up and down, coinciding with pulling on the zipper, I even zipped them up and could walk around normal!! Sitting was pretty tight, but maybe in another couple of weeks!!

I just wanted to thank whoever made the suggestion to use the smaller/doesn't really fit clothing as a measure of progress. I didn't take any measurements until 3 days ago, so I couldn't even go back to those. I now keep those jeans right next to my scale, and look forward to trying them on again in 2 weeks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 22:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Thumbs up That's wonderful!

Even my doctor told me not to weigh, just to measure about once a month.

It is difficult when you are on this woe with your DH. Mine is sort of on it. He eats some things that I know I couldn't get away with, but he is much better than I ever thought he would be. But like you, I am still at about the same weight and I notice that his belt buckle has gone at least one notch smaller. His pants are really looking baggy in the butt too. He won't weigh until he has his next doctor's appt next week. It will be 4 weeks for him.
I'm just happy he is trying. He never would before.

Just fold those jeans on the scale and try them on and forget the weighing.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 22:50

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Big congrats. The pant-o-meter is a great measuring tool!

I'm wearing a pair of pants that I couldn't button six weeks ago and now I am having to pull them up regularly. Probably next week I will see how my next smaller pair fit. I can't wait to get into them because this pair is the only one I have of this size while the next one I have about six pair. It will be great to have choices in clothing again!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 06:13

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up

Ain't it grand, KT? Who cares what the scale says - wearing that next size down is so much more of an accomplishment - and it's a useful one too!

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 06:35

Plan: LC
Stats: 180/179/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 3%
Talking

WAY TO GO - ALL OF YOU!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 13:23

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default An interesting cure for scale dependent dieters

I have a friend who, rather than step on the scale everyday, simply assigns herself an arbitrary number...like "4"...so today she is a 4. Tomorrow she could be 3.14!

Kinda makes you think...

Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 20:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/288.2/199 Female 5 foot 11 inches
BF:38%/??/25%
Progress: 5%
Arrow Pant-o-meter

I love the pant-o-meter it so much better than the scale. I have several clothes that are sooo close to being comfortable. I get a kick out of trying them on every week. Unlike the scale it never depresses me(like the scale can) and it's fun!!

Sonja
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 22:03

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%

pant-o-meter is really a good suggestion to measure your own success with low carbing....

though i still weigh myself between a few days interval... nevertheless i will take out a smaller size pair of shorts or pants .....because i do agree the scales will never tell me the truth. looking forward to feel loose in those tight clothings. and i am beginning to feel the skin on my arms are tightening. but my waist seem to stay the same...maybe i wont lose that fast on that area...but generally....the 'tightening' feeling is on my arms.

and in fact i was even doubtful of my feet on the scales....could it be due to putting more pressure on my right foot to get the ugly results? so in fact nowadays i prefer to put more pressure on my left foot....so at least the results will look better ...and there is also a limit on how much 'i can cheat on the weighing scale'. so in fact, if i find out that i can cheat even more on an occasion......the conclusion i got was........i lost weight!!! get what i mean?

cheers!