Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-01, 19:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198.5/198.5/130
BF:
Progress:
Default HELP ME *very sick*

okay all...i need help. atkins is killing me, i need a new diet. i've been looking into the CKD *is that it??* and i'm still really, REALLY confused. i have been HORRIBLY sick..i'm lactose intolerant, and everything is making me sick!!! i cracked and had a sandwich and it's helped me, but UGH!!!!! i want to continue this WOE, but i can't if i'm constantly this sick every other day!!! heeelllpppp...

-*a very unhappy* wussypuff
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-01, 20:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

It is very normal to feel sick in the beginning. Your body is going into a kind of carb withdrawal. If you keep eating carbs thinking that will make you feel better, you are just going to repeat the cycle. You just have to stick with it and get through the sickness stage. It should only last a couple of days and then you will feel much better. When I first started and then again after lots of carbs over the Christmas holidays, I felt very sick, actually even threw up, but it's worth it to suffer through it.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-01, 23:08

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Wussypuff, if you're lactose intolerant, DON'T EAT DAIRY. You don't need dairy on this way of eating. Skip the cheese, or whatever it is that has lactose in it, and chow down on other sources of protein: meat, fish, chicken, eggs; and veggies too, of course!

Deirdre is right, a lot of people feel somewhat ill the first few days of induction, while you're processing the carbs out of your system. If you don't give in and eat carbs, it'll pass in a few days. If you do eat carbs, you'll just feel sick for longer.

Rachel
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-01, 05:02
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi W/P ,

You may be right that Atkins isn't the program for you if it's causing you this much stress. It has to be something you can live with. I seriously doubt that the Atkins plan itself is making you sick, after all, it's just everyday foods - meat, chicken, cheese, veggies. But artificially sweetened goodies ... and I recall you stating you drank an entire container of diet lemonade in one day, plus other indiscretions of the chocolate variety ... .. ok, I'm kinda ribbing you here ... but I think you might have an idea what's really making you blah!!

You've been unable to stick to a very restricted carb level for more than a day. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you, because there isn't. Part of it may be that you don't really WANT to do this, and part may be that your carb cravings/addictions are just too darn STRONG. So, lets try to find a new plan for you, something that fits better. If you bought new shoes that didn't fit and weren't comfie and made your toesies feel horrid, you'd take them back and get another pair, right?? .. .. Same with the diet.

Have you heard of Carbohydrate Addicts?? (also called CAD or CALP - carb addict's life plan). This program has you eating very low carb for breakfast, lunch and snack ... but for supper you can have pretty much what you want, carbs and all ... but you MUST start and end the meal within one hour. This helps to keep insulin levels under control, and prevents the swings that can lead to cravings. Once the Reward Meal is over, the carb-fest is too. Any snacks beyond that MUST be very lowcarb.

You can probably borrow the book from your library; it's quite a popular plan and has been around for a while ... so I'm sure they'd have a copy. Also, check out the Carb Addict's website.

I've written an article on Cravings and what might be triggering them; click here to read it.

Don't give up, and don't feel bad. Nothing wrong with changing the plan of attack, as long as the goal is the same. You can do it!!

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-01, 11:21

Plan: CKD
Stats: 245/215/130
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy I'm Soooo Sorry!

I sure hope you feel better soon!
I think you should try what Doreen suggest...its not given in...It’s just finding what’s right for you and your body! And if later you decide to restrict a little more do what someone else suggest in another thread...and switch over to protein power...then to what ever...and so one...then MAYBE back to atkins or CKD...but may be not. You have to figure your body out! LISTON TO IT!!!!

LRRAINE
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-01, 10:08

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 184/148/148 Female 71.5 inches
BF:Currently at 21%
Progress: 100%

I'm also lactose intolerant. I've found a prduct that really helps that, though. It's called Lactaid. It comes in different strengths. It gives your body the enyzmes it needs to break down lactose.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-01, 22:23

Plan: Dr Atkin's New Rev Diet
Stats: 150/145/115
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Also Sick!

I have the same experience. the 3rd & 4th days were really bad but I'm now on my 8th day & still feeling a bit sick. For how long do I have to wait???? I'm strickly following the below 20 gram carb intake & taking suppliments, what's wrong?

joyup:
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-01, 23:09
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Re: Also Sick!

Quote:
Originally posted by joyup
I have the same experience. the 3rd & 4th days were really bad but I'm now on my 8th day & still feeling a bit sick. For how long do I have to wait???? I'm strickly following the below 20 gram carb intake & taking suppliments, what's wrong?

joyup:

Hi Joyup,

Welcome to our forum.

What do you mean by same experience? Lactose intolerence mentioned here is not due to low-carbing, since milk is not that low-carb and not recommended by low-carb plans. Wussypuff had trouble sticking to low-carb and switched back and forth on daily basis between high-carb and low-carb and this can definitly make you sick.

Which low-carb diet are you following? What is a sample menu, and what supplements are you taking? This may help figure out what's making you uncomfortable.

Wa'il
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 00:45

Plan: Dr Atkin's New Rev Diet
Stats: 150/145/115
BF:
Progress:

Hi Wa'il! I'm following the Dr Atkins New Diet Rev & I had tremendous energy loss during my 3rd & 4th days with dizzy spells during the late mornings. Now, I'm on my 8th day & still feeling weak. I'm taking vit C & multi-vit (Calcium, magnesium & potassium). I've lost around 5+ lbs since. What's gone wrong? Please help!

joyup
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 07:34

Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

Joyup

Are you eating enough, including veggies?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 08:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by joyup
Hi Wa'il! I'm following the Dr Atkins New Diet Rev
joyup

Joyup, we had a member who thought they following low-carb, and finally gave up saying "I'm sick of grapefruit juice!".

If you list the foods you eat in a typical day, we might see what might be causing the problem. Help us help you

Wa'il
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 08:42
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile hi joyup, welcome to our forum

Loss of energy, fatigue, dizziness, headache ... are classic symptoms of LOW POTASSIUM LEVELS.

Most multivitamin-mineral supplements contain 10 or sometimes 30 mg potassium in their formulations. That's not NEARLY enough. You can take extra potassium as a separate supplement, but the least expensive and convenient way is to use a salt substitute, such as NoSalt or there's a product in the US called Morton's Lite Salt. I see you're in Singapore ... you may be able to purchase such a product from a grocery or possibly a pharmacy/chemist ... where salt substitutes are sold (for people who are on salt-restricted diets)

Read the label, and make sure it contains just potassium chloride ... Dissolve 1/8 tsp (0.5 ml) in a glass of water, and drink up. That amount of product would provide approx. 320 mg of potassium, which is equivalent to the amount in a large banana. You may choose to do this twice a day, morning and afternoon, just for a few days, until you're feeling better, then once a day should be fine.

If you are only able to find a product that is a blend of regular sodium chloride salt as well as the potassium salt, then just use it as you would to sprinkle on foods ... also is fine to use in recipes and cooking just like regular salt.

The other folks' suggestions are good too, and make sure you are drinking lots of carb-free fluids ... dehydration can make you weak and dizzy as well.

Keep us posted how you're doing..

Doreen