Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 09:51
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Re: WOW sOOOOO much flaxmeal?

Quote:
Originally posted by Banana
Corr!!

10.5 tbsp flaxmeal a day, is that really the RDA? Does anyone eat that much flaxmeal in a day? How can I get that much into me in one day?
hi ho Banana

Actually, there is no RDA for flax or essential fatty acids, at least not yet. It has been suggested for flax oil to take 1 to 3 teaspoons (5 to 15 ml) per day for general good health. For therapeutic use ... aid to fat loss, chronic health issues, EFA deficiency, etc, then up to 1 Tbsp per 50 lbs of body weight is suggested. (maximum 4 Tbsp per day).

One ounce/ 30g of ground flax seeds will provide the equivalent fatty acids to 1 Tbsp of the oil. It would be best to use fresh-pressed oil to supplement any amount above this. Flax seed is wonderful and all, but excessive amounts of the fiber can inhibit the absorption of other important nutrients, especially calcium. And it can inhibit absorption of prescription medications too, so best to consume flaxmeal and other fiber supplements at least an hour apart from other vitmains, minerals, herbs or medications.

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 10:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default thanks Dorreen

I wasnt aware of the info on fiber-and vitamins, meds. I try to space out my vitamins during the day anyway. I do know that ginseng is best to be taken at least 2 hrs B 4 or after taking vit C and vit C containing foods.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 19:51
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS/paleo
Stats: 270/186/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Question

Can anybody tell me if the flax seed capsules are the same as using the actual oil? I bought some today,but wasn't really sure if the results were the same. Thanks in advance!!
Patty
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 09:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default hey Patty

The flax oil capsules are fine but the problem with them is that in order to be real beneficial U need to take far more of them than recommended on the bottle. Im not sure the dosage.. someone else may clarify this but Im thinking U would need 8 capsules to get the benefit of 1 teaspoon of the oil. I can be expensive that way.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 10:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

I put a tablespoon of flax oil in my protein shakes in the AM, or have a bowl of cinnamon and Spice Flax O Meal hot cereal in the morning with splenda and cream, that way I get the benefits of flax oil plus the benefits of fiber. If I do the cereal, though, I usually just down a tbsp of flax oil (urp!) with my supplements. I like the flavor, but the texture gets me on the way down...

-Shelly
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 21:38

Stats: 325/308/200
BF:
Progress: 14%

I'm curious about the capsules too. I take them, and have been for about a year. I think that the RDA is 1 to 3 capsules, 3 times per day. So anywhere between 3 and 9 capsules which is a big range. In all honesty, I probably am spending a lot of money for very litte effective return as I usually only take about 3 per day. I would be very interested if anyone has any specific information about the capsules. I think the ones I usually buy are the Jameson brand, from costco.

Mari
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 23:01

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T
30 grams (1 ounce) of flax seeds will yield 12 grams of fat, which is equivalent to 1 Tbsp of oil.

1 oz/ 30g flax seeds measures approx. 3½ Tbsp when ground.

hth

Doreen

ahh, thanks Ive been really wanting to know just that

I bought a packet and loved it too much
I wanted it breakfast lunch and dinner, bigger and bigger bowl fills too so Im afraid its on my caution list along with whipped cream which I wanted to eat by the bottle, instead of the little recommended.
Didnt make me 'go' too much either things take along time to make that journey here

Is evening primrose oil the same sort of thing and same benefits??
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 23:06

BF:
Default Re: WOW sOOOOO much flaxmeal?

Quote:
Originally posted by Banana

Corr!!

10.5 tbsp flaxmeal a day, is that really the RDA? Does anyone eat that much flaxmeal in a day?

Yes me easy peasy I loved the stuff, yum yum like comfort food
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 05:35

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by otenn
I would be very interested if anyone has any specific information about the capsules.

Mari, this discussion may help you:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...oil+AND+capsule

Nat
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 14:50

Stats: 154/126/126
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile Bloom how do you do it?

Hi Bloom,

Tell me how you manage to consume such a vast amount of flaxmeal per day? Are you talking about the flaxomeal ready made stuff or the actual fresh ground flaxseeds (linseeds we call them here in UK).

I think where I was going wrong was nuking the mixture for two minutes, that's what the recipe said to do. But from what's been written here, you shouldn't even have the water too hot when you add it to the mix, let alone putting it in the microwave for 2 minutes!!!!!

I'm going to try it again with the hot water and cream!

Please let me know how you eat it.

Regards
Banana
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 15:20

BF:

I eat it just like Doreen suggested in the food section with the hot water, splenda, cinnamon, and cream. I ate one box fill so quick though i havnt bought any more yet.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 05:40

BF:

Well i got some of this today and now have been reading what "protein power" has to say about it. I suppose you are aware he says to stay away from it and other oils with ALA's (which flaxseed is extremily high) because it blocks the production of both the good along with the bad eicosanoids. Page 344

I bought a little book on the wonders of the stuff in the same shop but have hardly had time to poke my nose in yet but of course it sings its praises highly.
Anyway how bad is bad, this stuff is foul and as you know i loved the flaxmeal I dont think it can be off as it is in the black bottle and says good till next year some time unless opened etc etc.
Has anyone made mayonnaise with the stuff???
I just drank a spoonfull down the hatch and near as threw up

Whats the story with Fish Oil , Eades recomends that ion his book?

Its all so confusing
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 06:53
Forum Founder

BF:

Jenny, s'okay ... the Eades published the original Protein Power in 1995. By the time they published their follow-up Protein Power Lifeplan in 2000, they'd recanted their statement. This is from the FAQ's at the PP website:
Quote:
I have heard that flaxseed oil is a good source of Omega-3 oils. What are your recommendations?

Since writing the Protein Power book, we have changed our viewpoint on Omega-3 oils. We do recommend using flax oil and fish oils, which contains high amounts of Omega-3 oils. Omega-3 fatty acids are a family of particularly long-chained polyunsaturated fats that share a unique chemical structure. These fats are incorporated into numerous cells of the body and form potent hormone-like structures called eicosanoids. Eicosanoids are believed to play a significant role in boosting the immune response and reducing risk from atherosclerosis, cancer, inflammatory conditions and allergic reactions. The adult daily recommendation for omega-3 fatty acids is estimated to be 300-400 mg per day.
I've found the info about flax from Whole Health MD to be very good, and recommendations for how much to take.

I've seen other articles before suggesting that flax oil isn't the great panacea, and may even cause harm in the body. These "studies" were done on the basis that flax was the ONLY oil being consumed on a longterm basis. This is rarely the case for us, where we are eating fats and oils from a variety of sources every day.

Make sure the oil you buy is fresh-dated on the bottle, which should be opaque plastic or dark glass, and stored in the refrigerator. Make sure it states on the label that the oil was expeller-pressed without heat, light or air. Simply "cold-pressed" isn't enough. Flax is a polyunsaturate, and as such, the EFA's are very prone to oxidation. Keep the bottle tightly capped, use the oil soon after you pour it out of the bottle, and never cook with flax oil .. or the EFA's will be destroyed. (It's ok though to add flax oil to hot food when you serve it, eg as a dressing over steamed vegetables).

hth

Doreen
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 07:14

BF:

Thanks Doreen, great links have saved them both to look at tomorrow as its time for bed and past 1 am here.

It wasnt the omega3 oils he was against in my PP book(a latter printing of the 1996 one) ( he said they were good) and recomends fish oil for the omega3. Its that he quotes it as being 57% alpha linolenic acid ALA, and he had/has? a bug bear about that.
Now that is strange cos on my bottle it says alpha linolenic acid is the omega 3 ,60%. linolenic acid is omega 6,16%. and Olelic acid omega 9, 18% ????? it is like a riddle!!
Maybe it will all be made clear to me tomorrow when I look at those sites. This is all such a learning curve

Yes the one Ive got is in a black bottle and has all the blurb about how it was produced...in the little book i bought it is even the one recomended but
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 07:29
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
.........in the little book i bought it is even the one recomended but
LOL!!

I'll get my copy of PP Lifeplan, and look more closely at the good Drs. Eades "newer" thoughts on ALA and eicosanoids. S'truth they do still prefer fish oil over flax for persons with specific health issues, but in general now recommend flax and gosh-golly-gee-whiz .. they even use it themselves

'night

Doreen