Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 10:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/234/150 Female Five Feet
BF:40%
Progress: 7%
Default 2nd day on atkins

Hello,
This is my second day on the atkins diet. It wasn't as hard as I thought, but then again, not as easy. I usually drink alot of milk, but I resisted milk all day yesterday. I still love milk, and can taste it, but have not drank it yet and don't plan to. I have stuck to the eating plan, drank water all day. I arrived home from work yesterday and boyfriend had made spaghetti, it smelled so good. I didn't eat it. I made my salad with chicken and boiled eggs. I am slowly getting used to the salads. I never looked at labels as much as I have in the past 2 days. I find myself asking myself, how did I ever consume that much carbs and think I was healthy. I feel good though. I am not hungry or cranky. I am trying to type with the cat on the desk in front of me, not an easy task. I am pretty proud of myself at this time. I am looking forward to losing weight and getting healthy with the change in my eating. I will keep tabbing in on my progress. But I do have one question, why are fruits bad for you? I have been told all my life to eat a lot of fruit and of course have always done it. Does fruit really have carbs in it?
Dieta, aka Belle
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 10:22

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

It's not fruits are bad for you....it's the fact that most fruits are really high in sugar.

That sugar can trigger insulin spikes and cravings. During induction they are no nos. Once you get into OWL you can start adding in berries and other mellons slowly and see if they affect your weight loss or not.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 13:13
Registered Member

Plan: Lean for Life
Stats: 208/135/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 107%
Default What a great first day you had...

Your gonna love this way of eating and life, it's amazing how after the first several days carbs won't even interest you anymore. I read that milk was hard but did you know that you can use heavy cream. I use it as a topping on jello by whipping it using a hand mixer. I remember Atkins put a limit I think it was 3 ounces or tablespoons it is in your book though if you interested.

Nice job resisting the spagetti, it is amazing how many carbs we use to take in, and your going to feel fantastic soon with so much energy that the carbs actually robbed from you, just wait and see.

Good luck and stay strong the first few days are always the toughest!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 11:59

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 140/140/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up

I'm so glad your going so good. I myself am having a little more trouble. I'm a single mom with 4 kids who all don't like the same things, so I have to make what they all agree on or do the take out thing. I don't like a lot of vegetables, except tomatoes, romaine or red leaf lettuce,celery, carrots, corn, green beans, northern beans, pork-n-beans. As for fish, I only like tuna and flounder, and meats, turkey, ham, chicken.
My problem is that I get tired of eating the same things, and can't find snacks that I enjoy and still stay under 20 carbs a day. I tried this once before and was very strict on what I ate and lost 2lbs in the first 2 weeks. I was walking a mile and a half every night plus drank water all day long. If anyone has any suggestions for me please let me know. It seems the foods that have always helped me maintain my weight, now put on my weight (yougart, bananas, whole weat bread, fruits,...)

Thanks for any suggestions
Michelle
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 19:00

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Michelle...

I got tired of feeling like a short order cook so I've taken to giving my kids two choices for dinner: take it.....or leave it! Strange...but they seem to be a lot less fussy these days.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 07:00

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 245/241/160
BF:
Progress: 5%
Thumbs up

LOL! I'll have to try that tactic with my kids! If I hear "(whine)I'm tired of chicken...(whine, whine)" one more time I'm gonna scream!!!! Nothing like a good old ultimatim!

Belle - around your 4th or 5th day, when the carbs are mostly out of your system, you're going to get this burst of energy! You'll just feel great and be rarin' to get up and go! Swear! You'll get to where you crave water! True! It's amazing!

Best of luck to you!

Lori Jo
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 17:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283/268/160
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default It's gotta be hard...

...to have to deal daily with other food for your family. I know how picky kids can be. It would drive me nuts having to make several different meals for everyone's tastes! I think I'll stay single for a while longer...
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 06:26

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 245/241/160
BF:
Progress: 5%

I don't mind cooking different things, because I like to cook... it's the temptation that, well, tempts me!

Would I like a taste of the mashed potato the kids want with their steak? YEAH!!! Or the corn (because that is one of the few veggies they agree to eat!). Yep.

My daughter makes her own pancakes (the kids are tired of eggs and bacon every morning) and we've reached a compromise for dinner - she eats the main protein (meat, fish, whatever) and she cooks a side dish for herself and her brother. They don't want salad every night. It's hard getting through Induction with other family members!

Lori