Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 10:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CALP
Stats: 143/140/125
BF:
Progress: 17%
Question Sugar-free Candy

I would really like to have some sugar free hard candy or gum at my desk. I seem to be snacking alot on beef jerky and pork rinds. My girlfriend says that I am always eating something when she calls. Any suggestions? I am drinking 64oz of water a day or more.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 10:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

hi barb!

You have a couple of options here...

I have found diabetic candies that are sugar free AND carb free. I try not to eat too many of them due to the AS, but they will do when i just need a little something to satisfy my sweet tooth!

You can make your own candies, which is nice because then you know exactly what you put into it. There are all sorts of recipes for different candies that you can find.

Just a word of caution...make sure that they are LC, not all sugar free candies are low in carbs. Keep an eye out too that you don't get stalled due to AS's.

Good luck!!

KC
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 10:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CALP
Stats: 143/140/125
BF:
Progress: 17%

Thanks KC, My husband just went to the store looking for some and No Luck! The carb count was huge!! He bought he Tic Tacs and sugar free gum.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 13:59

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Barb!

Watch out for the Tic Tacs and the sugar free gum; they both contain carbs which must be counted in your daily allowance if you use them. Tic Tacs are also definitely not sugar free. Check the carb counts of anything labeled "sugar free" carefully. FDA laws allow any manufacturer to label a product "sugar free" as long as it does not contain refined sugar, but it can contain sucrose, fructose and honey (which are all sugars). Low carb candies are an iffy thing. Some people can eat them without a problem (I can), but many report that the low carb bars, shakes and candies cause them to stall or loose very slowly. If you do decide to use them, but find that you are losing very slowly or not at all, those are the first things you should eliminate from your food list. I also would not use them on induction at all. If it seems like you are always snacking, you might want to examine why. Are you are really eating because you are hungry or for some other reason (stressed, bored, habit, etc...)?