Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#331   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 03:26

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 250/215/180
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Good Morning You All

Good Morning You All:
It is 4am and I am up again. This is my time when I can get on my computer with no husband or puppies up. Seems like when they are around I am always busy doing something. My husband has to go in for some tests today. I just pray that they turn out okay. He has been having alot of problems with his stomach. Everything has been negative so far but we are going in for the big test today. Will know, for sure, what is happening after it is over. Will let you know.
As I have said before I am a meat eater. When I am on Atkins I don't seem to get hungry because I just eat meat. That sounds terrible but it has worked for me, and, of course tons of water. I read in the book that you won't be hungry after awhile and it is true. I have problems when I try and eat alot of different foods that are low in carbs. It just doesn't seem to get me through. I am alot better off if I just eat the meat. I don't get hungry. When I think about making different recipes it seems that all I am doing is thinking about food. The way I eat now is just to exist and that has never been the case before. Maybe if you can eat more of one thing, with no carbs that will get you through the tough times. When you just eat meat there are no hidden carbs. I am getting to where I look at every package before I buy it to see how many carbs there are and it helps me not buy the bad stuff. Of course when you have a husband that eats all of that kind of food it is difficult to stay away from it all. My head is back into lossing and it doesn't bother me to have it in the house, as long as I don't have to get involved with serving it to him. I have him get his own goodies and that seems to work too.
Donna, again, good luck on Friday with Cody. I know that he will be just fine. We are all praying for him.
Carol, I guess the only way to find out if the Splenda will work is to just go for it. Let us know how it works and then I can make it for some of the residents at work that are on low sugar diets.
Chris, I was stalled last time I was on Atkins and I actually called their care line. They made several suggestions on how to break it. One was to give up caffeine, no regular coffee or diet sodas. Eventhough the caffeine is a simulant it may cause you to retain the weight. Good Luck
Cher, thanks for the tips on the snacks. But I am a fat person, in my head and always eat too much of whatever it is I am snacking on. So, for me the best thing to do is just try and drink the water and CLOSE my big mouth. I have even though about taping it shut while at work but that would be kind of hard to do and people would really laugh at me.

Take care all and will see you tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
  #332   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 03:50
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Good morning ladies

Jansky, Congratulation on losing the last five pounds. I also do what Cher does, I have plenty of water and legal foods to snack on. It really helps. You said, you alway lost until you got to 200's. Well I did too. The first time I started Atkins I was 215 and after a year I was down in the 140's then I had a stroke. Not due to Atkins but smoking and hormone therapy. So, when my weight reach 192 I said to myself that is it. The older we get are metabolism slows down and it is harder but it seems with Atkins it jumps start it again. Desserts are my downfall. So, I try to keep diet jello and low carb icecream on hands. I had a bowl of peanut butter low carb ice cream last night and it hit the spot. I also keep my carmel flavored walnuts on hand for snacking. Well again congratulation.

Besty, I will miss you while your gone. I know what you mean how we have come to rely on the internet. I know I do. Please come back as soon as you can. We well miss you .

Chris, Wow you have been a busy beaver. I also have days that I wake up early and full of energy. I hate hearing that your retaining water. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. It seems to help me when I start retaining. Our body is weird, if you don't drink enough water it think it is going dehyrade so it retain water but with enough water it then start releasing it because you keep the balance. The roast chicken sounds great. I fixed a low carb meatloaf and it seems to hit the spot . How did the Atkins blueberry muffins turn out? The sound great.

Carol, My DH said are strawberries are full this year also. Yea, I love strawberries. I ate the last batch this last Christmas. They are so good and sweet. I have several low carb jams recipes but I think that Marlaine recipes sounds easier. I have some frozen strawberries. I think I well give it a try. My husband would love it too. He is a diabetic. The low carb bread sounds great. We have a bread called Heiener's 35 which has 8 carbs and tastes wonderful but I have been holding out until my maintence to try it. I am afraid it well start me craving.

Marlaine, Thanks you for the recipe. It sound wonderful. I well give it a try. That would be wonderful on low carb vanilla ice cream this summer. Hope everything is going okay for you. Always love to hear from you.

Cher, I glad your hungry spell is over. I hate when mine comes.

I want to thank everyone for keeping Cody in your prayers.

Well ladies have a wonderful low carb day.
Donna
  #333   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 13:45

Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Talking

Donna, the blue berry muffins using the Atkins mix are really not bad, I mean it. In fact, I'll probably order another packet, one box makes 18, and I do not have that awful hunger like I did, so I'm much better, I need to know about that lo carb Ice cream.!! Or maybe I don't. It just sounds awfully attractive, although I had sugar free ice cream on my cruise in February, and Kept on losing, but I wasn't on premarin then. Keep us posted about Cody, You know we are all praying for him.

Jansky, You've suggested something so difficult for me, but I know you are probably right. II only have 2 cups of coffee per day and I use the blend that 's supposed to be 1/2 the caffeine, but, Atkins says, no caffeine. I keep thinking I can get away with it, but since I've started the hormones, nothing is working. so maybe I'll have to try that

Cher, as always, thanks for the good words, I appreciate the support.

stay well everyone. chris
  #334   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 17:24
Pending Member

BF:
Default Good evening

Chris, I remember when I was on hormone therapy I had the same trouble with losing. I have been through the change and since the stroke I was taken off them. The ice cream recipe I found on about.com. I had 1/2 cup peanuts and 2 tbsp. peanut butter. You can experiment. I bet strawberries would be great.
Low-carb Ice Cream

Ingredients:

4 eggs, separated
16 oz. cream cheese
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup Splenda (12 packets)
Directions:

Whisk egg whites until soft peaks form.
In a separate bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth (heat in a microwave for 10-15 sec. to soften first). Mix in cream, egg yolks, vanilla and Splenda. Fold in egg whites.
Freeze.
Servings: 12

Carbs: <4 per serving.

I know it makes about a quart of ice cream. I still have some in the freezer. It is kind of hard but I place it in the mirowave to soften. I use it in my protein shakes also.
Thank you for your prayers. I appreciate everyone doing this for my nephew. God bless.
Donna
  #335   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 18:38

Stats: 230/136/145 Female 5'8.5"
BF:33.95/24.51/20
Progress: 111%

DonnaJ...I'm just popping in real quick (need to cook dinner) to tell you that the ice cream recipe looks good. I'm going to try it with the non dairy cream cheese that I've been using the past 5 days (I think it's from Tofu). Anyway, I've been using it in the mock danish and it seems to work as well...tha only concern...does soy cheese and soy cream cheese still promote "candida" growth....hummm??
  #336   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 04:12

BF:
Default Good Morning You All

Hope all of you are having a great day.
My husband and I got to the hospital early, had the test and then the nurse came in and told us that he was going to have to have a cat scan. We won't know anything until about 4 or 5 days, Monday, I am sure, but the doctor said that there are adnormal cells in his stomach. Will just have to wait. Praying for the good results.
Donna: Thanks for the ice cream recipe. I am assuming that a serving is 1/2 cup. That is what is hard for me, stopping at one serving. But I am getting my head back in control.
Take care for the day and keep up the good work.
  #337   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 05:54

Stats: 225/196/160 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Good morning everyone!

Hi all,

Thanks for the jello/jam/strawberry idea Marlaine...I will give it a shot....it also sounds good on that ice cream recipe from Donnaj....wow, summer treats are sounding great!

I have been busy with the goats, we had two baby girls born yesterday.....a slightly complicated birthing....glad I was there to help....they seem to be doing ok, except the mama doesn't let them nurse....yet...I have to milk her and then bottle feed her....it is going to be a pain if she doesn't let them get the hang of it....we shall see...it is so much easier (and healthier) if they just go the natural way......they are so cute, with huge floppy ears...I will post a picture if I can get one soon. (I am a proud goat mama!)

Well, I better run and get breakfast for my little one, and myself...I skipped a few meals during this whole event, and am hungry now....I did eat a few Reeses Peices and orange jelly beans with the mama goat....when she was in labor....but for some reason I still lost a pound yesterday! The trick is to not have any more than 3 jelly beans.....that is the hard part!

Take care everyone, have a terrific lo carb day....the sun is out and the snow is melting! (again!)
Carol
  #338   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 07:21
Pending Member

BF:
Default Good morning ladies

Cher, Jansky, and Carol, the ice cream is very rich and feeling so that one half cup serving is plenty. Believe me I could only eat a small serving. It is a treat to have ice cream.

Jansky, I will pray that your husband results well be okay.

Carol, I am glad she had her kid. I bet she is so cute. Congratulation on losing a pound. I am stalling again. So I think I will go back on protein fast for a couple of days. I wanted to be at least 155 before I see the doctor in two weeks. I am going to see if I can make it.

Well, I better get some breakfast and Carol I am glad the snow is melting. Our temperature for today is suppose to be in the 70's. I hope. I need to get the house cleaned so I well be able to spent it with Cody and Sharon Friday.
Everyone have a wonderful low carb day.
Donna
  #339   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 09:25

Stats: 225/196/160 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Hi Donnaj

I am totally psyched about losing that pound since TOM started today! Hopefully I will lose more and meet that goal of 8 lbs for my brother in laws ordination....May 12....I have 5 lbs left to get there....the protein fast works great for me.....I have not yet gone back to 20 grams of carbs....staying around 10-15 and the weight comes off....can't wait to try that ice cream! The temp here is really warming up too...around 55...

Take care,
Carol
  #340   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 11:11

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally posted by Cher
I'm going to try it with the non dairy cream cheese that I've been using the past 5 days (I think it's from Tofu).

Hi there Cher....

Just a really quick note here. Racing to get to work this morning after my workout and fake'n bake. Just call me Speedy!

If it is from tofu, my question is, Is it from organic natural soybeans or have they been genetically modified? My understanding is that most soybeans these days are in fact GM and I don't know about you, but I do my best to avoid all GM foods.

Marlaine
  #341   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 12:59
Registered Member

Plan: Carbo Addicts modified
Stats: 199/185/145
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Hi Everyone...

Internet came back on tonight and this morning I saw 189.5 on the scale. I scrolled back a way to catch up with everyone and I realized I haven't said welcome yet to Jansky. So, welcome to the group and I'm pleased you feel you can talk to us about what's going on in your life. Support is a wonderful thing, isn't it? Sorry to hear that your husband is having medical problems. We'll all be anxious to hear the test results.

Donna, a candle is still glowing. The little guy has a lot of people pulling for him. Keep us posted on his condition as the days go by if you can.

I found out today that I'll be coming back to the states in July. I can't believe it! I haven't been back for almost 3 years. It will feel a bit strange I'm sure. My first reaction was yippee, then I had the horrible realization that all the people there haven't seen me since I gained all this weight. My head went into panic mode!! It was really amazing what I did to myself. Suddenly being 189.5 got diluted and didn't feel good enough. So up, then crash down and its all over my weight. It's amazing the emotional torture we can put ourselves through all over something like body weight.

Sweet dreams everyone ..........
  #342   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 18:21

Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Wink

Hi folks, Betsy, you have plenty of time before July, but the most important thing is that you'll be coming home, and the people who love you, love you, not your weight. We all manage to do that to ourselves, I'll go swimming when I lose weight, I'll go shopping when I lose weight. We have to stop punishing ourselves.
Carol, congratulations to you for your new goats. Little girls, huh, have you named them. It must be like babies when you have to bottle feed them.
Donna, please let us know how things go with Cody, We are all praying for him.
Jansky, You too, with your hubby, let us know how things come out.
Marlaine, would the GM Tofu be harmful? I don't eat much soy anyway, but my DIL does, shes a vegan.
Cher, that ice cream does sound good. It sounded so good, that when I got dessert for my DH last night, i got him a ice cream pop, and got one for myself. It was only 13 carbs, and didn't seem to trigger any cravings, but I notice that the tofutti in the store is a lot more carbs.
Just wanted to say, you won't hear from me probably til Sunday, My sil is going away on business, so I'm going to stay with my daughter till Saturday night. I'll bet when I check in, everyone will be down some more , I sure hope i am. too. Stay well. Chris
  #343   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 21:47

Stats: 230/136/145 Female 5'8.5"
BF:33.95/24.51/20
Progress: 111%

Marlaine...I sure hope that it's from organic natural soybeans (that's what the label says) however, I've heard that in the US...it's not a requirement for food manufaturers to list when it's genetically modified. I stay with one HFS that has a good reputation....so, hopoefully it's ok.

Carol...that's awesome that you're so close to your May 12th goal...and that you lost another pound despite that "TOM" Way to go! Congratulations on those baby goats and for being able to experience another "miracle of life"

Woo Hoo Betsy for reaching the 180's that awesome...I agree with Chris...everyone in the states will be so happy to see you...and you've done sooooooo well! Great Job!

Chris...we'll miss you until Sunday...but, have fun with your daughter. Dh brought home some low-carb popsicles...I haven't seen those in a while...hummm (he buys the LC stuff for me then eats it...LOL...guess that's why he's dropped weight too).

DonnaJ...I with Betsy...still keeping a candle lit for Cody...let us know how that goes...

Jansky...I will keep you and your husband in my prayers...hopefully everything will turn out OK. Please keep us updated.
  #344   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 03:39

BF:
Default Hi, You All

Still No word from the doctor about my husband. Sure is hell waiting. Hopefully we will know something on Friday. I am sure going to call to find out for sure.
One of the things that my husband had to stop was smoking. He has smoked 2 packs a day since he was 13 and he is now 60. So, if he quits, I quit. I am sure not going to be the one that is still smoking while he is trying to stop. It isn't too bad so far but I am sure worried about my weight whenever I try and stop. Last time I tried I gained 5 pounds in 5 days and started again. Maybe this time, with your support, I can keep control of myself and not let that happen.
I got my hair cut yesterday and my girlfriend and I had a couple of beers while I was there. She is my best friend and I am always her last customer so it is okay. We sat and talked for awhile and then I came home. I was doing great until I got some cheese and crackers out and then the bing started. I had an hour of no stop eating, everything I could get my hands on. But when my husband came home I quit so I didn't gain, the problem is that I didn't lose either. I will try and do better today, with your help.
Betsy: Where are you in the Persian Gulf? My daughter just got back from that area. She is in the Navy and came home with the USS Roosevelt battle group. What a trip that was, to see her come home. She stopped in Berian (?) over night but was not able to get off the ship any other time until she got home. Glad you are coming back. Three years is a long time, but you have time to get back in shape by July. But I don't think your family and friends will even notice a few extra pounds. They will be just so glad to see you.
Chris: Have fun with your daughter. As I said I just got to spend time with mine and it was great.
Donna: We are praying for your Cody. I bet he is a real sweetheart. Let us know as soon as you can.
Cher: I read on your bio that you live in Newport Beach. I am from San Francisco and sure miss it. We moved to Hot Springs, AR. about 8 years ago to get away from the people and $$$$ but it isn't the same back here. No See's Candy or Columbo Salami. See I think about food when it comes to home. Bet it is beautiful there about right now.
Carol: Congrats on your weight loss. Keep up the good work and remember that we are all there for you.
Marlaine: Good Luck on the ice cream with non fat cream cheese. Let us know how it is.
By for now, you all have a great day.
  #345   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 09:28
Registered Member

Plan: Carbo Addicts modified
Stats: 199/185/145
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Wake up everyone its Thursday...

I thought I'd check in and say hi before having my supper. But for you the day has just begun. The weekend here begins tomorrow and its always my most vulnerable days because you know who is home munching away to his heart's content! He sneezes and he can lose weight, why oh why, it isn't fair!!!!!

Jansky, I had to smile when I saw what you wrote about San Francisco. That's where I'll be going because that's home for me. Oh I know too well North Beach and the joy of just walking down the street taking in all the scents of the Italian restaurants that line every street. I know what you mean about the $$ too, its a very expensive place to live and definitely has the snobs to go along with it. But you've got to admit its a beautiful city. I saw my husband's list of what he wants to do when we arrive, and the rat put down "Marie Callendar's--loads of Boysenberry Pie." Do you see what I have to live with? He doesn't help at all!

So your daughter is part of the USS fleet, well tell her for me I was brought to tears at the sight of them coming in. You have no idea what it was like to sit here knowing we couldn't get out and wondering if we'd ever see our loved ones again. Nothing, but nothing is as beautiful as the sight of the American Flag waving in the air and the sight of our ships in the water. They looked so strong, so powerful. Jets were over head and ships in the gulf and I was able to sleep again. It's a privilage to be an American, and I never realized just how much until I came over here.

I won't be coming home for good, this is just a 2 month visit but I'll take it. After that we may be heading for Moscow, well, at least its green in Russia! And I'll get to wear sweaters again.

Well everyone, just felt like saying hi and letting you know I'm thinking about you.