Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 07:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/130/130
BF:
Progress: 100%
Angry My boyfriend...

I've lost the weight I wanted to lose, feel really healthy, started exercising, sleep well...pretty much feel great.
But my boyfriend hates me on this diet. Every time I have a headache, tummy ache, anything really, he blames it on Atkins. He's still waiting for me to go back to "normal" eating. Guess he just doesn't get it, and I don't know how to make him.
He's started exercising too, though, which is good. And sometimes he talks about trying Atkins too....not holding my breath....but I hope he does. Then maybe he'll quit nagging me about it.
Oh well.
Jennie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 08:05

Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

Congratulations on your weight loss!!!! What is it that your boyfriend does not like about Atkins?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 09:34

Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Men!

My DH looks at what I am eating now and shakes his head. He has never seen me eat this much red meat or fat or eggs before and thinks it must be unhealthy.

I just say take a look at my nails, hair and clear skin {I have always had acne... I'm 37yrs old!} and tell me if you still think its not healthy. If that is the way my new WOL is manifesting itself outside it must be "all good" on the inside too.

He never said anything when I was munching on chips, cookies and candy!

I will convince him one day..... he will see the proof. He has never had a weight problem and eats whatever he wants, so although he is very sympathic to my situation he has never walked a mile in my shoes.... nor done the research I have.

Akiwican
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 10:18

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

My DH is slim, fit and sleeps like a log. We've been together 10 years and the first 9-1/2, I was always berating him for eating nothing but red meat, minimal veggies, bacon and eggs, fried ham, etc. I was overweight (still am) eating fat free, diet this and diet that - then I discovered Atkins - eating just like DH and ... you know the rest - looks like DH discovered Atkins but just didn't know it. This is the best WOL - plus we now both eat the same, it's so much easier.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 10:45

Stats: 199/165/165
BF:

I sort of went through the same thing with my wife. She complained how much harder it was to plan meals, since I ate one way (LC), and her and the kids ate another way. After seeing my results on Atkins, she became a believer and she has now lost 22 lbs in 3 months.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 11:53
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I'm so jealous! How do people get results like 22 lbs in 3 months!!??!?

Oh well, this is the only bod I've got.....I better learn to love it in spite of the stubborn way it loves to hold on to fat! I'll have a long talk with it tonight and convince it that it will like lean muscle MUCH better!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 12:11

Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Well, I'm still hoping for 22 lbs in 3 months, but I really haven't lost much (scale-wise) since the first few weeks, so I think some tweaking is in order...no more cheats, period. I'm gonna keep on keeping on with the exercise as that is providing me with inches lost.

I know what you mean about stubborn fat...I've decided that maybe if I start talking to my back side, that maybe I can convince it to take a permanent vacation...

I can't say that BF has a problem with this WOE, but he just keeps on eating whatever he wants and still only has a 10% body fat...not ripped, just skinny. He's very supportive, and tries his best to keep me from cheating as he knows he has to deal with me the next day, headaches and all!

Happy LCing everyone!
KC
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 13:06
Registered Member

Stats: 150.8/145.8/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Well, I would hope your BF would be pleased with your great results!!!!! Congrats on losing 29 lbs...that's great!!! And kudos to you for sticking to this WOL.

I agree with you...hopefully he'll try it, too, and grow to love it just like you did! In the meantime, he'll just have to deal with the *new you*, eh?!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 14:36

Stats: 199/165/165
BF:

Along with dieting she also has been going to the gym early every morning 5 days a week and doing yoga 2-3 times a week. She had tried Weight Watchers before, but it just wasn't helping much. As soon as she switched over to Atkins, she saw a big drop in weight. She has definitely slowed down, now that she's in OWL.

Mark
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 15:02

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Getting him interested...

Maybe you can ease him into it, by cutting out bread and then decreasing sugar...

...and when he realizes that he's beginning to feel good, pull him into this WOE completely.

It might help also if you can determine which LC recipes might appeal to him and together work at adapting them to your tastes. Maybe he misses sharing the same foods with you.

Has he read the book yet? It might also help to bring him around.

Good luck & congrats on your stats!!

Donald
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-02, 09:55

Stats: 165/156/125
BF:
Progress: 23%

Good for you, I know it's hard to stick to your guns. My DH is a tall thin carboholic and doesn't really like me on this WOE either. The first few weeks he tried to sabotage me until he realized that I was serious. Congrats on your success. Stick with it!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-02, 10:38

Stats: 285/195/140
BF:
Progress: 62%
Smile Congratulations!

My hubby is doing Atkins with me, but he's starting to slip and I'm not sure if he needs/wants my help. He's an adult, and he knows that eating the Dove chocolate is a no no, so maybe he's not enjoying it. I dunno. I do know he finds it very "exciting" to watch me tearing into a 12 oz. medium rare Outback Special, so he much enjoys that part of the diet. No more wussy looking chicken for me when we go to Outback