Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 06:23
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Default Hi all

Shall we go back to Antidepressant and Atkins topic again?
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 15:18
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 235/215/200
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default We could . . .

but, we're having so much fun.

I wanted to say to Jim that I have no doubt the youngsters (and the oldies, too) really do appreciate the hugs). A little bit goes so far.

Actually, all of the things we're talking about relate back to depression and Atkins. All of our emotional issues are interwined with depression or any other mental illness.

Atkins is a way of eating that can certainly affect our bodies as well as our emotional states. And, I do believe we have to deal with the emotional in order to stabilize the physical.

So, I guess I'm suggesting a holistic approach.
  #108   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 22:12
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 235/193/128
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Depression, Hugs and Children

The subjects of hugs is interesting - probably needs its own thread!

I can remember hearing somewhere a few years ago that parents should never be the one to first "break" or end a hug with a child. It also mentioned that children need lots of hugs every day (can't remember the number that was mentioned but I remember thinking "wow, I thought I hugged my children alot, but now I'm not so sure!")

I immediately tried the unbroken hug, found it wonderful and have used it ever since. I never cease to be amazed how long a child likes to be hugged before they decide it is enough! I have a 20 year old daughter and a 17 year old son and both love hugs just as much now as they did when younger!

Great way of releasing tension, showing love and affection, grieving, and oh so many more things!

Interesting topic!

Gemma
  #109   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 07:37
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 254/231/145
BF:
Progress: 21%
Cool Antidepressant and Weight loss

I have been on Zoloft 125/day for 3 years. Started this WOE one week ago and have lost 5 lbs. Personally, I believe you will lose, already I am noticing my mood is somewhat improved, actually I think I'm very encouraged just to be losing. Be kind to yourself, eat well and it will happen.

Wishing you all the best.

Elly
  #110   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 20:28
Registered Member

BF:
Default Hugs and Drugs . . . An interesting combo

mselly . . . good for you. That's great.

gemma . . . I agree that hugs are so important. We would probably need a lot less drugs if more parents hugged until the kids let go. I like that idea. That's great that your teens are still hugging.
  #111   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-02, 17:12
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/180/160
BF:
Progress: 69%
Thumbs up antidepressants n atkins diet

Hi Trish, No ,DON'NT QUIT THE DIET .im LIVING proof you can do the atkins diet on antidepresants and lose the weight,and burn the ketones to.You may have to do with less carbs then some who arnt on them but it will work.Dang doc has got me on 2 meds Serzone and Zoloft and i do about 20 to 25 carbs a day also iv already lost 35lb .So don'nt give up you can do it,best of luck Dave.
  #112   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-02, 21:37
Registered Member

BF:
Default Fantastic Results!

Hi Dave

You are doing so well - congratulations!! You sound so keen too, so keep up the good work! 35 lbs is fantastic. How do you keep your carbs so low? Have you started a journal?

Hi Elly

Great news that you have already noticed an improvement to your mood - I was on the Aropax first, but I do feel that the low carb has assisted further with levelling out the mood fluctuations. Good luck and keep up to good work!

Hi EveLee

Yes, I think you are right, although I did get lots of hugs from my family as a kid and still needed Aropax. We were a really affectionate family and I still remember one of my cousins being really surprised by how affectionate we always were, even though his Dad and my Mum were brother and sister. Really pleased also that my two still enjoy hugs!

Bye now

Gemma
  #113   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-02, 21:54
Registered Member

BF:
Default Yes, I know

Gemma . . . As I wrote that post I knew there would be a response saying, yes, I did get hugs and I still need meds. But, I wrote it anyway. You're right. However, in some cases, it is the lack of attention, affection, etc. that contribute to environmental depression. Of course, many people have depression which is not induced by the environment. My daughter certainly received an abundance of hugs, and she still needs meds.

I, on the other hand, needed a few more appropriate hugs and much more positive attention. Fortunately, I have grown to fill that void in my life. For that I am grateful.

I gained lots of weight after beginning anti-depressants, but had begun to lose when I stopped the drugs.

Currently, I'm attempting to re-program myself for less carbs. I made it through almost all of today. I will begin again tomorrow. I am really triggered by emotional issues.

And, I have reached the point where it is not fun to eat the junk any more. It makes me sick.
  #114   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-02, 23:05
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/180/160
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default antidepresant n atkins

Hi Gemma,Thank you for the kind remark.Congradulations to you also,you done really well.I don'nt keep a jornal,but im thinking about it at least for a carb count.I look at labels on everything i eat,and also i found this store-lo carb cafe.I can go there and get a chocalate ice cream malt,it taste as goog as the real thing,it has no sugar and only 4 carbs,also they have these candy bars that are wonderfull.Again no sugar and about 1 carb,they also taste like the real thing.That has helped alot,and i try and hike a good bit.How do you like the Protein power diet,do you burn the ketones on it?Best of luck ,Dave.
  #115   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-02, 23:42
Registered Member

BF:
Default Protein Power

Hi EveLee

Even if we did get lots of hugs it is true that the hug type demonstraton of affection is fantastic no matter what age. I work in aged care and it is well recognised that "skin hunger" is common for people who live in residential facilities or people who are single or widowed. The need for gentle human touch is integral to the health of the human psyche.

My family (close and extended) has a history of depessive problems or affective disorders as they call them now. While I believe my problems are no where as severe as some members of my family, I am still glad that the treatment I am on is so effective.

Hi Dave

I really like PP, but I don't think I burn ketones all the time - must at times but I don't worry too much, just as long as I lose a bit here an there along the way!

Fantastic for you to have a cafe where you can purchase low carb treats. Australia is way behind the US in recognising that low carb is okay and not "dangerous" to health.

I bought an ice-cream maker last week, and my daughter and son and I have been making all sorts of different flavours and trying out different combinations of cream, milk and evaporated milk. So far we have had plain vanilla, coconut - which had coconut essence and toasted dessicated coconut, evaporated milk vanilla which also had eggs, and chocolate and coconut. My son (who has a body fat of 8%) made himself some caramel ice-cream using caramel sauce - bad for him though!

We use Splenda to sweeten and at first thought that not having real sugar was making the ice-cream icy, but we think it is just the combination of milk types that makes the difference. We tried double cream but that was awful - sort of "coated" the roof of the mouth and tongue with a waxy coating! Yuck.

The ice-cream maker cost $50 so we think that by the time we have made 30 litres of ice-cream we will have saved the cost if the maker. One good thing with it is that you can make "soft serve" and eat it straight away. It is great - and I won't have to buy ice-cream any more.

Good luck and enjoy your hiking (where do you like to hike?)

Gemma
  #116   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 00:09
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 93.6/94.32/68
BF:
Progress: -3%
Default Help................

Hi Gemma, I'm pleased your still around

I really need some words of encouragment and advice from you all........

I seem to have lost the plot at the moment.

After 7 years of living in this one rental property I have to move. I'm happy and sad about this. I'm happy because this place is becoming a dive (the owner wont spnd any money on the place). sad because this is the house I was in when my son died.

I'm sad because I have decided that I'm moving into a place with myself and my daughter and my partner is getting his place (my idea), and I'm happy because I have decided that I'm moving into a place with myself and my daughter. Thank god for drugs hey?

As far as keeping to a diet forget it, I don't know what I'm doing..

Here is a photo of Kym, this was taken by a friend and he fixed it up for me. I was never big into photos, why bother when you've got the real thing.......just goes to show, never take anything for granted. It's his first anniversary on the 23rd May and life sucks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kym2 (2).jpg (25.4 KB, 36 views)
  #117   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 08:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/172/160
BF:
Progress: 54%

Frances, What a beautiful boy !!!
The only thing I can think of to say is this: there really IS a God who loans us children to raise while we are here in this world.
He was compassionate enough to make sure you had a daughter to help you through this seemingly unbearable time in your life because without her, He knew you might not have enough motivation yourself to go on....
She's lost her brother and really needs her mother. You WILL see him again someday; meanwhile make him proud and find moments to enjoy in life, then you will smile, and eventually there will be some laugher in your life again. It will be on your timetable, though. Not when people tell you, "It's about time you.... (fill in the blank with some well-intentioned advice)"

I sure wish it was within my power to email you a huge hug from one mother to another so assume I did just that! With that I can say you are officially in my prayers.
  #118   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 21:32
Registered Member

BF:
Default My heart bleeds....

Oh Frances, I hope you are coping - yes I am still around and think of you often - I wish I could give you a big hug! What a gorgeous photo - thank heavens you had that one - like you I'm not much of a photographer so I understand how much it must mean to have such a lovely one of Kym.

How is your daughter? Is she happy to be moving?

When do you move - are you able to choose somewhere or are rental places really hard to find in Canberra? Is the relationship with your partner not okay or is it just that you need space.

You will soon find the plot again - be kind to yourself - remember that we are all sending positive thoughts your way to help lift the weight bearing down on you at present.

Wish I could say more to help - please hang in there (as you said "thank god for drugs hey!")

Bye now

Gemma
  #119   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 22:09
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 93.6/94.32/68
BF:
Progress: -3%
Thumbs down

Thanks Gemma and phonemarsh................he is georgous isn't he!

Alex is uncertain of the move, because she thinks it may be her fault that Mark and I are living apart, but it is just because I need me space with her. I feel like I need to be in control of things for awhile. I felt I lost my confidence when Kym died, and if I can get this right I may feel better, who knows but I need to try.

Mark is trying to be supportive, but he doesn't quite understand. It will probably be better for him too, not having to live with a nutter. I love Mark and I'm not breaking up with him.

I have just been approved for a unit in Fisher, not far from where I am now. The rental prices up here are getting higher by the minute, but what can you do?

Thanks for your words and hugs...........I do feel a bit better today, I even cryed on the poor R/E agent when she came to show the property! Ugh!

Frances
  #120   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 01:38
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 160/150/112 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Frances your son is beautiful. How lucky that you are his mother and that he knew you and was and is loved by you and you by him. That is a blessing in your life.

Nothing beautiful and good can be let go of easily, so don't let go, treasure him every second, keep him warm in your heart, keep him alive in spirit.

When my wonderful father died, I spent my childhood with him looking down on me like a guardian angel. I know he knows I love him and feel him there.

I am neither into communing with "the spirits" nor am I religious, but I believe that those close to you, whom we love and have loved are never apart from us.