Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > Comments Box and Technical Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 07:24

Plan: mix of IF and Keto diet
Stats: 283/256/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Question Hmm..m..m...Something's wrong

I seem to be struggling with my connection to the LC Forum. The only notices that I receive from the forum are the community bulletins even though I have subscribed to several threads.

A couple months ago when I first joined the forum, I'd hear from all the different threads I subscribed to. Now, I hear from none of them. I must be subscribed to a couple dozen (?) threads altogether. I realize threads die out eventually, but to hear from none of them is rather peculiar. About a week ago I happened across a thread that I had replied to in the past (I don't keep records of the topics I subscribe to so it was quite by accident that I came across it) and there had been several replies after mine that I had not been notified about. Why would that be?

I am also noticing something else: When I had received notice of a subscribed threads and then tried to access it by clicking on the thread address (the shortcut), my user name does not log on. If I happen to respond again to that thread, the V-bulletin comes on saying that I'm not logged on (I'm supposed to be automatically logged on according to my option setting), and, upon logging on, my whole message gets lost in cyberspace. It seems that the only way my user name logs on is if it take the 'long cut' of going through the beginning of the forum (ie: through http://forum.lowcarber.org/ ). Might there be something wrong with how I registered, or did an administrator accidentally delete me from a list of sorts (as suggested by the V-bulletin), or could there be something wrong with my computer?

Any help would be very appreciated. I was really enjoying the support group, as well as the sense of community, for a while there ...now I only hear from you folks when you send out the bulletins.

-R. Schwarz
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 11:31
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Schwarz,

What email client do you use? I've had members who installed filters or SPAM blocking software (sometimes from ISPs) that basically legitimate, non-SPAM emails as well.

But the notification is only sent once, until you visit. If a thread has many replies since you last visit, it will not send a notification for each reply.

As for being required to login, this will depend on your browser and how it is setup in terms of blocking cookies.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 12:17

BF:

Hi Wa'il:

I don't really know if I know how to answer your questions since I am so 'technically challenged'. I just use the computer ...haven't a clue how things work other than I know it how to turn it on. I've usually stumbled into some basic knowledge here and there, but that's all.

Anyway, we have a dial-up modem to my husband's office. What they have I don't know ...I'll check it out. Otherwise, I am a Hotmail.com user.

I have always visited every thread that I was given notice for. However, could it be that if I go directly to the thread using the short cut given to me in my notice, that I am classified as 'not having visited' (since my username doesn't auto-login), therefore, as far as the forum is concerned ...I am not picking up my notices?

As far as cookies (are they low carb? ), I don't know anything about them. If we haven't used them on our computer, might there be something through my husband's office where cookies are used? [by the way ...what's a cookie? ]

Anyway, thanks for trying to help me out. I'll get back to you as soon as I can with any added info.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 12:20

BF:
Default I'm back again Wa'il

I asked my husband about this email client thing. He said that mine is Hotmail, however, maybe the SPAM blocking software that is used by his company does affect us ...he didn't know either.

I guess I'll just have to 'manually' check threads I've subscribed to periodically just to see if anything new has happened since I first joined in.