Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 12:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/277/175 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Kinda worried

I am worried of the future health risks (although losing wieght to me right now is more important) . I also know alot of vitimin pills people intake just goes right threw the body and few are obsorbed.

So does anyone have suggestion on what to take? a multi-vitimin?? thank you for your respones in advance
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 13:40

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Specifically, which future health risks are you worried about? Where did you get the info? Is it reliable and backed by scientific evidence? If it's from a magazine article, how much time did the author spend researching it?

Hints to whether or not they know what low carbing is really about - if you see these statements, they don't have a clue what they are talking about
- it's a no carb plan
- it's high protein
- it's excessive fat
- all we eat is red meat, butter and eggs
- we don't eat fruit or vegetables
- people get sick (yup, we feel crappy at the begiinning when we detox, but that's what detoxing is all about) Alcoholics feel crappy when they detox, so do drug addicts and folks who are quitting smoking or quiting caffeine. You don't see many articles around saying getting sober or drug free or nicotine free is dangerous to your health!!!!!!!!
- your kidneys will explode
- you will get kidney problems

Secondly, where did you get the notion that most vitamins go right through your body? You might want to check out the book called "The New Encyclopedia of Vitamins, Minerals and Herbal Supplements" If gives you the FACTS about nutritional supplements.

If the book is not available in your area, then try this link
http://www.biblelife.org/vitamins.htm
or this one
http://www.supplementwatch.com/supatoz/

The truth is, some vitamins/minerals are water soluble, and some are fat soluble. For many of the water soluble ones, if you take too much the EXTRA UNNECESSARY portion will be flushed out through your urine.

What you need to take at a minimum when starting to LC is potassium and calcium/magnesium, and a good multivitamin.

Go back to your Atkins book and re-read the chapter on vitamins and minerals. Yeah I know it's overwhelming at first, so read it over and over until you get more comfy with what he is saying. In the newest version, it's chapter 23 Nutrional supplements - Don't even think of getting along without them.

You don't need to buy the Atkins brand of vitamins and minerals. They are very expensive. Good quality drug store available brands will do just fine.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 15:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/277/175 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default thank you

Well, I had heard a while back it is hard for the body to break down normal vitamin tablets sort of like eating a rock your body won't digest it (but how realiable that is is totally unknown). As far as things I have read it is hard to find out what is right if anyone actually knows for SURE. There are documents saying everything is bad. My mother died from kidney failure and it is funny she drank more water then anyone I have known so that was the last thing I thought would happen, so when I see all over that eatting tons of protein is hard on the body it worries me of course. But then I also think our body adjusts to things, example working out is "hard on the body" but it also is good for it. So I guess I will stop rambling and thank you again for those link I will definatilly look into them
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 16:32

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Just a note here...low carbing is not eating "tons" of protein, it's eating adequate amounts of protein and there has not been a single study done which proves that eating even high amounts of protein is harmful to your body in any way. It's just been quoted so often that people assume that there must be a study somewhere that proves it. I'd be more concerned about the long term health risks of eating high carb/low fat than I would about eating this way since more and more studies are coming out showing that high amounts of refined carbs in the diet ARE harmful to your health in the long term, especially when paired with high amounts of the wrong types of fat.