Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 00:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/196/135
BF:
Progress: 24%
Talking Super Newbie

Hi there!
I'm so glad I found this forum.
Just started on April 6 and already down 4 pounds. I know it's mostly water but it's till encouraging.
I have always been healthy (as my Irish Grandma used to say) but now it's out of control and my MD tells me I'm "pre-diabetic".
I have never really dieted seriously but this time, it's my life on the line so I'm going to stick with it.
Let me know your tricks for feeling satisfied without eating pasta, bread, potatoes and other high carb goodies
Can anyone tell me if your stomach (the organ, not the paunch) actually shrinks?
What about skin? I'm a young looking 45 and I don't want to look like a balloon with the air let out when I reach my goal weight.
Thanks everyone and glad to be a part of the group
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 01:50

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up

Hi and welcome to this forum. You've come to the right place and if you get reading then you will soon pick up lots of tips from everyone here.

You will soon find that eating protein and fat you feel more satisfied than you ever have before and I have no inclination for bread, pasta or potatoes. I must admit, they never were my downfall anyway.

No your stomach does not shrink. In fact you will probably end up eating more than you used to. It does not make sense, does it, eat more and loose weight. Never the less, it works.

Keep a journal of your progress on this site. It will be great to look back on and it will help us to offer you advice, when needed.

Congrats on your initial weight loss. It makes you feel as if you are getting somewhere. I have been low carbing since August last year and feel great for it. I'm two years older than you and feel so much better. With diabetes looming over you this is certainly the way to go and it will never arrive!

Keep up the good work and visit this site often. It is a great morale booster.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 07:48

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi, Nushi! Welcome

Little Ann has already given you some good answers -- if you check through some of the journals here you'll find people's menus. Going hungry on Atkins is not a problem -- it's very different from low fat diets. If you've got a real sweet tooth, Induction will help with that. Cravings stop if they're not fed

Good luck -- congratulations on your first loss I hope you post often so we can keep up track of your progress.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 12:52

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Greetings and welcome aboard!

Yeah, the initial weight loss is mostly water. But it sure is encouraging. Unfortunately, when your weight levels out or climbs a pound or two that is equally discouraging even though it is still mostly water. So be prepared for it and you won't have near the anguish that many have.

It's great that you are jumping on the pre-diabetes right away. I wouldn't be surprised to find that you can avoid the Big D altogether.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 23:44

Stats: 215/196/135
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Thanks for the warm welcom

Just wanted to thank all those who replied.

So far no cravings. I went to breakfast with my Dad today. He had French Toast with butter and syrup. I had a spinach and feta cheese omelet with a side of bacon. Normally, I would have had French Toast too but not this time or any time in the near future!
I didn't even ask for a bite

Quick question: I have noticed that when I'm taking the dog for a walk, my legs feel leaden. Is this normal with Atkins? The muscles actually ache. I usually walk about 5 to 6 miles a day and this past week doing 2 or 3 is a chore. Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

Looking forward to your experienced wisdom on this

Bye for now
Nushi
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 08:48
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Taking a calcium-magnesium supplement and potassium will help.

You also go through withdrawal in the first phase of low carbing and have flu-like symptoms, headaches, fatigue and occasionally nausea.

Here is a link on cal/mag/K: Multi-Vitamins and Cal/Mag/K

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 15:05
Registered Member

Stats: 178.5/178.5/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hi

I am on my 11th day of this new way of eating and even though I am by all means not a pro at this I have to admit that it gets so much easier with time. My boyfriend has a weight problem, can't gain any, and he has to eat all the time and not eating what he eats has gotten so much easier. The cravings really do let up too and at first I was extremely hungry, for the first few days, but that will also let up. Also for the first week I couldn't do much because I was absolutely exhausted, I was practically dragging myself wherever I had to go. This also got better. I just wanted to reassure you that you made the right choice with doing this for yourself, it does make you feel wonderful after awhile. You will be amazed at the results.

Also, don't be a fool like me, don't weigh yourself everyday!!

Heidi