Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 01:41
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 147/144/119
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Help! have I blown it?????

Hi everyone

Yesterday I was on day 8 of induction and doing just great. Had some terrible news about an aunt of mine, she died. That sent me rushing off to see my cousin and give her support. She inturn had got food in for dinner...indian takeaway, plus cakes for later.

I ATE IT!!!!

I knew that I shouldn't have but under the circumstances did not want to go through the debate of eating with my distressed cousin, (poor excuse maybe).

Anyway to cut a long story short, this morning I have woken up feeling like I have not had a nights sleep infact it was broken sleep anyway, and generally I have a headache and feel yuk. I guess it is the carbs that are doing this. Also my eyes are a bit puffy too.

My question is can I look at this as a blip and carry on or do I have to start from day one again, like the good book says? I am back to attikins this morning with eggs and mushrooms for breakfast.

Please help I feel quite ast a loss.

KimUK
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 02:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Indian and Atkins CAN be friends!

Hi Kim

I eat Indian almost everyday. Love the spices. Only I stay off the Atkin-nonfriendly (for want of a better word) parts of Indian eg rice, naan, sweets etc. You didn't say exactly what you ate.

Still, the damage is done. No point in wasting energy on spilt milk. You are doing the right thing by reverting to Atkins strict immediately. A couple of days and you will be back in ketosis - hopefully not even out of it.

In future : Look after No. 1 FIRST - that way you can give your cousin much better support. Btw I am sorry about your aunt - sounds as if it was quite sudden.

Love, Light Healing
Take Care.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 05:01
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Fiona

I ate the rice and the nan as well as chicken tikka marsala. In future I will just have the chicken tikka marsala sauce, if you say that is ok?
Kim
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 08:38

Stats: 160/124/126
BF:
Progress: 106%

Like Fiona says - don't worry about it - just get straight back in there.

I blew it over Easter...just got straight back onto it on Monday - really strict and no treats for a couple of weeks !

You'll get there

#5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 09:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Kim, I'm so sorry about your aunt. You had a blow and you weren't prepared to deal with it -- it wasn't in your plan.

As far as low carbing goes, these times -- blowing it -- are part of the learning process. I've been through several similar things lately. I can only do this by planning -- it's not second nature yet -- and I try to plan, but do get blindsided by things and then slip back into familiar patterns. Each time, it gets easier.

There's a slogan on a Weight Watchers site I once visited that's a good one, I think: One day at a time, no guilt and move on.

Good luck
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 10:40

Stats: 148/122/115
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default Re: Help! have I blown it?????

Hi Kim,
I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KimUK
I knew that I shouldn't have but under the circumstances did not want to go through the debate of eating with my distressed cousin, (poor excuse maybe).

Kim, I don't think that was a poor excuse. Actually, I thought that was rather thoughtful of u
I had a few strawberries on the 6th day of my Induction. I did start over Induction (I did another 14 days) the next day.
Please take care & good luck!

Bebe
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 17:20

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up Chicken Tikka Masala is fine

Kim,

Ch Tikka Masala is baked pieces of chicken in a sauce made with spices and double cream. Perfect for Atkins. Some restaurants throw in a tspoon of sugar in - but not all cooks do this. Most would ensure there is no sugar if asked.

Take care now.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 19:24

Stats: 245/190/175
BF:

It happens, the important thing is to get back on the wagon and start again. Since you are at the beginning of induction, I would count the next day as DAY 1.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 20:52

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

As the others have said, just learn what you can from the experience and drive on. It sounds like you basically went off for one meal and maybe a bit more - then got right back into the next morning. I think Dr. Atkins is a bit fear mongering about his Induction warnings, but I think that is because so many people fall completely away if they slip just a bit. You didn't.

Also, the "end" of Induction is nothing magical. Most people have become pretty comfortable by the end of the two weeks and don't seem all that anxious to start upping their carbs, so it becomes a gradual shift as they learn more about their bodies.

Keep the Faith!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 21:00

Stats: 245/190/175
BF:

I agree, the only way I really lose is when I stick to induction levels. I restarted induction now 6 weeks ago, and never went higher than 20 carbs per day. If I go higher, it is good to maintain, but not to lose
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 01:17
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

Thankyou so much for your support.
I do not know what I would do without you, this site is keeping me going.

I am back on track now thanks to you. Intresting to note that chicken tika marsala sauce is acceptable on atkins! one more to add to the growing list.

Thanks once again

KimUK
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 19:46

Plan: CAD + reg. fast
Stats: 214/153.5/135 Female 5'6"
BF:34.5/18/14
Progress: 77%

Wow! Just reading this thread has helped me already. I am on day #17 of the induction and completely fell off the band wagon today. It was strange. I had not craved chocolate at all - until today, and I ate it, and then some...!! Now I sit here and feel the sugar 'kick' in (not a very pleasant feeling, indeed) And as I read, it will be even worse by tomorrow, eh? This, coupled with the guilt I feel, is a very unpleasant experience... Due to an unusual time schedule today, I skipped breakfast and couldn't eat until noon. Could that have something to do with that? Or perhaps also the fact that I startet with 1 oz of nuts just yesterday? Perhaps too much too soon? I will try all I can to get right back on track tomorrow. How long does it usually take to get back into ketosis? This worries me a bit...needed to vent my fears. Thanks for listening (reading!!)
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 01:23
Registered Member

BF:

Tigerloo

It useually takes about three days or so to get back to Ketosis? although I am no expert.

Hope this helps

KimUk
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 05:28

Plan: CAD + reg. fast
Stats: 214/153.5/135 Female 5'6"
BF:34.5/18/14
Progress: 77%

Thank you!
I bought some Ketostix yesterday, results were negative. Today is my 3rd day back on track. I hope, by tonight I will have made it back into ketosis. I have a lot of faith, because of all of you who have had such great results!
Thanks again!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 17:48
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Just a comment, at 5'5" do you really need to go to 119? A toned 130 might be okay. Just a suggestion.

Elihnig