Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 09:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/133.5/125
BF:37/34/28
Progress: 57%
Default Having trouble keeping up!!

Hi Everyone ,

Here I am in Canada - with an obviously outdate version of the book. The whole notion of subtracting fiber from carbs is news to me and I just picked it up on the forum today. I will hunt for the new book and get "plugged in"

But I need some advice in the meantime.

I have been induction since March 7th and I have been on it properly (water, only salad veggies) since March 30th. I weighed in at 130.5 this morning and my goal weight is 122. Other than free foods and salad veggies - the only thing I have eaten in the last week has been pork rinds dipped in sour cream (a little binge on Wed.) but I still lost. According to my home journal I have on average 2 cups of green salad a day - so I am under my 20g.

I should note I am hypoglycemic and for the first time yesterday I almost had to take a dextrose tablet to prevent a shock. I ate my salad and meat instead which took longer to work but did eventually kick in. I am starting to feel fatigued and have a dull headache that I know comes from low sugar level.

My problem is I seem to have a high metabolic resistance. So my questions are:

Should I stay on induction for one more week?
When do I move to OWL?
I would really like some cereal and was looking at the flax o meal on this site - would that be a suitable carb addition when I start adding carbs?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 10:19

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hello, I have been on induction for 2 months now and just now starting to move up... Even though after my first intial 2 weeks of induction were strick The rest has been still strick but less strick.. I ws told what i was doing was called a modified induction.. I eat move green vegies and salads.. but with fiber subtracted I still matained under 20-25 carbs a day.. I have added 1/4 cup berries or what the books says is a serving.. and have had a few nuts during this time and still maintained the 20-25 carb count.. Alot of the greenvegies i eat have lots of fiber like cabbage collards and green beans.. I have read in the book that you can stay on induction for a bit longer ezspecialy if you think you are not ready for the next phase.. due to you dont feel controlled enough to handle the next phase or if you have alot of weight to loose, or if you have difficulty loosing weight.. its on page 159 of the new diet revolution book by dr atkins.. But he also points out we will need to graduate eventualy upward to be able to maintain a way of life.. If you feel you need to stay on induction for a bit longer then its fine.. Or if you feel you just need that extra bit of food add an extra vegie that is high in carbs and fiber.. like collards, greens of some sort, brohlie, okra,or some summer squash...
After fiber subtracted they only will count for like another 2-5 carbs a day..

I realy dont know much for the low blood sugar.. I would probaly not add the berries at this point though. Just mabe an extra vegie..

Mabe an experienced member will come along and know more about it than I do... Sorry if i wasnt much help..

Good luck
Tammy
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 11:32

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

if you've lost ten pounds in a month, you aren't metabolically resistant. For how little you had to lose, that's a miraculously fast rate.

Add carbs as veggies and nuts, 5 grams per week. Your loss is supposed to start slowing now. You only want to lose 2-3 pounds a month or so as you approach goal weight and lifelong changed eating habits. Once you're up to 35 grams or so, add berries and melons (only eaten with meals). Atkins intends for your loss to slow and slow...so that the last 3 pounds might take 3 months. That way, you transition easily into maintenance--there is no drastic change in eating habits.

If you're getting hypoglycemia you may not be getting enough calories. For your weight, a minimum of 1350 is crucial--and 1500-1600 would be better.

Also, try dividing your meals into five smaller ones--a 2.5-3-ounce piece of meat and 2 c salad (or 1 c cooked veggies) at each of four meals, say, and two ounces of nuts and a slice of cheese at a fifth.

HTH
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 11:53
Registered Member

Stats: 145/133.5/125
BF:37/34/28
Progress: 57%
Default My start date was much earlier

When I started Atkins I was 135. The previous five pounds were lost from Jan-March through repeated low carb efforts. So since March 7 I have lost 3.5lbs. This is why I think my resistance is high - as well as I'm closer to my goal.

I think I will stay on induction - likely to my goal weight.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 11:59

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I agree with the opinion above that you are not resistant. You just are so close to goal that you will lose more slowly now. And that is a good thing because it will give you time to learn the way of eating . remember, this is NOT a diet nor a quick fix. It is a new way of eating for the rest of your life.

You may want to get a copy of Protein Power Plan - it has lots of menu suggestions for 35 and 55 grams per day of carbs.

Good luck and be paitient.

BarB
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-02, 08:00

Plan: dr. atkins
Stats: 158/156/124
BF:
Progress: 6%

IF I HAVE LOST #9 IN 5 WEEKS WHERE DOES THAT PUT ME? AM I RESISTANT OR NOT? I AM ON ESTRACE AND SYNTROID AS WELL AS CYTOMEL!
SHADOWLADY