Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 18:51

Plan: Aitkins
Stats: 209/206/140
BF:
Progress: 4%
Angry I am oh so bloated! Why?

Can anyone tell me what to do?
I do NOT have gasiness, constipation, or diareha...just this terrible bloating feeling. It goes all the way around to my back and if I do not feel better soon I am gonna quit!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 19:06

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Ride it out. Give yourself at least the two weeks. You will probably start feeling much better very soon.

I haven't heard anyone complaining about a bloated feeling during Induction - the switch over is a pretty powerful diuretic. I wonder if you are truly bloated or if it's something else that just creates that impression.

How much water have you been drinking.

Look through the threads to see how many people complain of lots of different things in the first few days. Then see that almost all of them talk about how much better they feel a short while later. Hopefully that will give you a light at the end of the tunnel to shoot for.

Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 19:09

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

ferdinand, what have you been drinking and eating? Are you following your plan to the letter? Have you been keeping your Reward Meals to within an hour? Are you on any medications?

In order to help we need a little more information to go on.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 19:44

Plan: Zone
Stats: 165/163/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Smile Hang in there!

Glad to see another CAD person here! Welcome!

You might try posting what you've been eating on this forum and then people may have more ideas to help. Also, make sure you're drinking enough WATER. I sometimes feel like that a little when I first start this WOE after falling off the wagon, but after the two week entry plan, I feel better. It's also sometimes hard to resist the temptation to overeat at the RM in the beginning-that could make you feel bloated. After a little time on the plan, you learn how to eat until you're full and then stop (something I didn't do before-I always tried to clean my plate!).

Hang in there.......

-animaldoc
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 11:26

BF:
Default re bloating

Thanks for the replies..and the nice welcome.
I am figuring that it is all the salad (which is raw) that is doing me in. I ate nothing for breakfast this a.m. and just now had shrimp for lunch and no bloating.!

What it feels like? My middle section seems to swell and feel hard to the point of going around my waist. As I said, I am not gassy, but really really bloated!

I am trying to find information on vegetarian diets to see if it is actually the raw vegies. I have been eating romain (not boston lettuce because it has very little nutrients), lots of peppers, cucumbers, and lots of green vegies (although cooked) like broccoli, beans.

This is really uncomfortable. Perhaps I should try to get my bowels moving more.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 11:33

BF:
Default bloating answer for NAT

Well Nat.

I do take an anti-depressent, and also premarin for personal summers.
I do drink lots of water.

It is almost to the minute that I eat the raw lettuce and I begin to feel bloaty.

I want to try to use "Beano" next time I eat raw vegies, but as mentioned, I am staying away from lettuce today - just for some relief.

I have not lost any weight so far either.

But, when I am not bloated I do "feel smaller"!

Thanks for your support
ferdinand
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 11:42

BF:
Default Re: bloating answer for NAT

Quote:
Originally posted by ferdinand
It is almost to the minute that I eat the raw lettuce and I begin to feel bloaty.

I want to try to use "Beano" next time I eat raw vegies, but as mentioned, I am staying away from lettuce today - just for some relief.

It could be the lettuce, Ferdinand. I would think that keeping track of what you eat and when it happens would prove useful in narrowing down what is upsetting your system.

As for the beano, not a bad idea. When I had a reaction to some tabbouleh it was suggested that a little beano might have helped.

Best of luck
Nat
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 22:32

BF:

Hi folks:

I have a question...I don't know how to do this...

I seem to be on two forums...this one and the newbies questions.

I just sent a message on the newbies one and wondered how I could have sent it to you folks as well. There must be a way.

Wanted to report my successes!

Now that I have discovered this forum. Can anywone give me advice on how to maneuvre it?

Is it best to stick to one thread? I don't know how to quote. What is a buddy?

I have learned so much be reading the other threads etc. I am so pleased to have the support of all of you!...and I thank you!!!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 22:45

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

If you are starting a thread, you want to try to place it in the forum that best describes the topic. If you are responding to a thread, you don't have any control over that. Don't worry if a thread seems to drift a bit (or a lot). That's the nature of the beast in a forum just like it is in a conversation at a party.

You do want to start your own journal. Look at the sticky (or announcement) at the top of the thread list on how to do this - it's simple and it give both you and others a fixed place to keep in touch.

As for buddies....I gotta get me some of them one of these days. So I can't help you. I'm an engineer. Engineers, as a rule, don't have buddies. The best we can usually do is identifya few people that can tolerate us better than most.

But I think the "buddy list" is nothing more than a group of people that are grouped so that if you sent a private message to the buddy list it goes to everyone on the list.

I would recommend going through the FAQ (click on the big question mark near the top of the page). I think that will answer most of your questions. In fact, now that I am much more comfortable with the boards, I think I will go revisit it myself. There's bound to be lots of stuff that I just glossed over before because it didn't make sense to me.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 16:35

BF:

Ferdinand, often if a thread is in the wrong place it will be moved to the appropriate forum - as I did with this thread. It was in "Introductions", which is reserved for introductions only, and so I moved it to the Atkin's Diet subforum. A redirect was left in the Introductions forum so you, or anyone else clicking on it, would be sent here.

Nat
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 17:22

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default broccoli and beans

These two vegetables are major cause of gassiness or bloat. Try beano when you eat them or take something like Phazyme if you get bloaty.
I noticed you are taking premarin. That can do it as can doing without premarin. When I became pre-menopausal, bloat followed. My belly would get as big as when I was pregnant. Since going on Atkins, I haven't had any problem. Carbohydrates were definitely a problem for me.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 21:18
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 255.5/244.7/148
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Bloated

I have read that yeast overgrowth will cause one to bloat..happened to me..scale said I was losing but I could not get into a pair of pants that fit me be4 I started induction. I was sooo distressed. When something like that happens I search all over this site for info and sure enough I always find some helpful hints and encouraging words. Hang in there....it is a terrible feeling until u learn that there are things u can do to correct it.
Tweak, tweak, tweak.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 14:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/149/120
BF:
Progress: 3%
Unhappy Me Too!

Hello everyone! I'm new here and on day 2 of Atkins. Finding it tough so far but determined to keep going! Hopefully with you support I will!!! I just have one problem...
I have also started to feel very bloated. I'm not used to drinking so much water and wondered if this could be responsible? Also, does your body regulate itself - I'm constantly running to the toilet and it's getting embarrassing at work!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 13:22

Plan: dr. atkins
Stats: 158/156/124
BF:
Progress: 6%

I too feel very gasey and have been bloated, can't get into any of my clothes where I could before the diet.
Michele
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 14:08

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

How's your dairy intake - that may be the problem - that happens to me when I eat too much dairy, which in turn causes constipation down the road - just a thought.