Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 16:03

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default How Many Teaspoons in an Ounce???

Calling all senior members, newbie question here! How many teaspoons are in an ounce? I'm trying to determine the carb count in one teaspoon of ground flax seeds. FitDay gives a cup measurement and my book (The Complete Book of Food Counts by Netzer) gives the ounce listing. Again, I thank you all for your support. After one week of trial and error I finally am having a true induction day! I now count everything! Instead of going by the label on the product!
MM
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 16:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

One ounce of flaxseeds is roughly 3½ Tablespoons. There's 3 teaspoons per Tablespoon .. so 10½ teaspoonsful of flaxseeds = one ounce.

Fitday .. if you select "seeds, flax seed" you'll be given the option of 1 cup as the default, but you may change that to 1 Tbsp. Then you could just enter your portion size as 0.33 Tbsp. Even better, you could actually increase your portion to one Tbsp

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 03:29

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:

For general reference, if you are talking about liquid measure then there are 3 tsp in 1 Tbsp and 2 Tbsp in 1 fluid ounce.

Once you start talking about dry measure (such as ground flax seeds) then all bets are off as tsp and Tbsp are always a measure of volume but now the "ounces" being used are measure of weight (as in 16 ounces in a pound as opposed to the very different 16 ounces in a pint).
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 06:52
Forum Founder

BF:
Wink

Actually, I know that one ounce (weight) of ground flax seeds measures approx. 3½ Tbsp (volume) because I have a scale, and I've measured it

The volume measure for WHOLE seeds is less, since they're more compact ... a bit less than 3 Tbsp per ounce, in my experience.

Since this member wishes to use such a small volume as 1 teaspoon, it would be very impractical to try to weigh it (unless the scale measures in 5-gram increments).

You make a good point though about the accuracy of measuring solids by volume, which is "iffy" at best. One cup of broccoli can be more or less depending on the size of pieces it's cut into; weighing is much more accurate.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 13:06

BF:

Oh, I wasn't disputing your numbers for flaxseeds at all, Do. I was just pointing out that for dry measure or weight measure that the volume rules don't apply. I assumed that your numbers were good for ground flax seeds in large part because you actually had a number that was different than two tablespoons in an ounce. That would only apply to water or something else that just happens to have the same density.

And I sure agree that weighing is better than volume, especially for a solid.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 14:37
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
And I sure agree that weighing is better than volume, especially for a solid.
Bill, I thought about this .. and had to chuckle at the irony. Because when it comes to measuring our FAT LOSS, we know the exact opposite is true .. volume is the better measure than weight

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 14:51

BF:

You're absolutely right, of course. That IS funny! Must mean we aren't solid - which I guess I can't really argue with.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 15:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Cream

I was just going to ask how many Tbsp's in an ounce.... have my answer for that now that I have read this thread, thanks.

Is it because of the carb count that we should limit our heavy cream to 3 oz per day? I know we are encouraged to eat fat and thats a yummy way to get it in.

Also, is it 6 Tbsp {3 oz} liquid or 6 Tbsp whipped.

Akiwican
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 16:01

BF:

I'm pretty sure it's liquid since it can be used as liquid in so many places.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 16:06

Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Yes

Thanks Bill, thats what I have been counting. Is it limited because of the carbs, do you think?
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 17:06

BF:

Yes and no, the fact that there is a limit at all is because it does have carbs - and those carbs must be counted against your 20g allotment (or whatever it happens to be post-Induction). But the further restriction is to ensure that you have plenty of carbs remaining in your allotment to spend on the good veggies. Otherwise, people would take 20g of carbs from heavy cream and no veggies and think they were doing good.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 01:52

Stats: 286/277/175 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default umm

so how many teaspoons do I wiegh?? *shutters at the thought* lol