Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 01:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/123/105
BF:
Progress: 28%
Thumbs up 5 days on low carb

Hi everyone! I am new to the low carb WOL and would be thrilled with any comments, advice or support. I have been on for 5 days and have lost 4 lbs. This is really nice since for a while I thought my scale was broken - it seemed STUCK at 130. I have Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue syndrome. I've had to stop college and my job and am pretty much a homebody lately. I try to do as much as I can, but sometimes I can't exercise for weeks. This is why I've gained weight. I'm hoping to do low carb for life since I will never be very active, even though I am hoping to improve.
The new WOE is also hard for me because my family and I pretty much live on carbs and no one else is on the diet but me! I am used to tons of potatoes, candy, pasta, pastry.....ect. I have been having really bad cravings for some danishes in the pantry.ha Especially late at night. I have done pretty well so far though, and am really enjoying my meals. I feel like I'm splurging when I have a big steak. It's great!
Everyone please feel free to respond. I'd also be really interested to know how long everyone has been on the diet and how much weight they lost in the first month, or so. I'll be looking forward to hearing from you!

~Glenda

Last edited by glenda22 : Sun, Mar-31-02 at 02:50.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 02:11

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Greetings Glenda and welcome aboard!

I think you need to turn on the "smilies" in your profile options since it looks like you want to use them but they aren't appearing.

For most people, you can find out how long they've been LC'ing by clicking on their username and checking out their profile. There's usually some other interesting background there as well. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell you if they are single, unattached and looking but, alas, that is my own private hell.

As for the first month, most people lose about 10% of what they need to lose somewhere between the first two weeks (for the less overweight among us) and the first month (for the more economy packaged folks. In my case, I lost 19 pounds in the first month which is just shy of 10%. In just under 10 weeks I am down a total of 32 pounds but am pretty well plateaued right now.

Plateauing is real common and something that you will want to get used to - otherwise it can be real frustrating and may even drive you off the wagon. But after you struggle through two or three you will realize that it is just the typical patter of loss and that you are really still losing fat it just isn't showing up on the scale just then. Patience and persistence are definitely the key.

I've rambled on long enough. The only other recommendations I would make right now are to browse the forums pretty extensively to get a feel for what is ahead and to start a journal here - they are extremely useful.

Keep the Faith.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 02:37

BF:

Well, I noticed that, too.ha I tried to go back and see what I'd done wrong, but it looks like I have it set right......so I don't know. Oh well
Thanks for your response and comments. I hope to receive more!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 10:55

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

hi glenda, and welcome!

CFS and fibromyalgia both respond very well to this way of eating. (Definitely stay away from all grains, including the LC products, tho!)

We have some health forums for people to talk about these conditions...and make sure you meet our administrator, Doreen--her journal may be interesting to you.

People with less to lose will lose it more slowly, and people who can't exercise will lose it more slowly, so don't expect a very quick loss. But if you feel better, I'm sure that would make you happier than the scale changing anyway! also, loss happens in fits and starts. Read this post and you can look at one of our senior member's weight loss charts to see an example of a typical loss pattern.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 02:34

BF:
Thumbs up 6 days.....

It's probably silly to do this again so soon. I'm jus excited about losing another pound. I was 130 - now I'm 125. So, I'm excited! Thanks both of you who posted replies. I really appreciate the help and advice. Keep on sending the support!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 12:33

BF:

Congrats and keep up the good work!

How are you feeling? All past the Induction blahs?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 12:59

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 295/280/175
BF:
Progress: 13%
Smile

Hi Glenda! This is my thirteenth day low carbing. This is my second time on the new lifestyle. I was very successful when I did it before (June 1999-December 1999, I lost 50 pounds! I had a family tragedy and relapsed. I gained all of my weight back and then some! I am ready to start living again! I try not to rely on the scales too much. I keep track of my progress by the way my clothes feel. I got this advise from my Protein Power book. Good luck! I'll keep in touch!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 15:21

BF:

Hi Glenda,

A couple of things. First, I highly recommend starting a journal here. You can see details in the "Sticky" about journals at the top of the thread listing in this forum.

Second, I just noticed that you don't have a plan that you are following. Most people that wing it on their own have initial success (as nearly all diets do) and then they start having problems and have a very hard time getting a handle on them. I would strongly encourage you to at least look through the "Which low-carb plan is right for me?" link to the right and to get a book or two (Atkins and Protein Power are the two I would recommend initially, but I am still working my way through the others) so that you can learn and understand the underlying principles of LC'ing and how to chose WHICH carbs you eat and HOW to eat them as well as the role of protein and the various types of fat.

Keep the Faith!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 23:59
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/116/115
BF:
Progress: 97%
Welcome Glenda

I agree with Bill. One of the first things you may want to do is to read a book or two on LCing. And of course this forum is great for info, recipes, and support.

Looking forward to reading of your success. Together we can all do this.

Angelfish
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 00:26

BF:

coleman, angelfish and wbahn - thanks for all the advice and support. I am looking into the book and the journal. From the quiz, it seems the Atkins diet is what I need. Basically what I was doing before, except I know a little more about it now. It's amazing the difference losing just 5 pounds can make. I have felt so excited and good about myself because I know this is something I can do. It's also nice to knwo I'm doing it for myself. Angelfish, I saw that your progress is 90% - ( I think) that's wonderful! You must be so proud - give yourself a pat on the back from me! And all of you who are in this, I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress. Remember every day counts!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 15:22

BF:

This is my 10th day with Atkins. I lost two more pounds today adn my clothes feel nice and comfy I feel great. I have had lots more energy the past few days and that is great! This woe seems to be good for the Fibromyalgia and CFS. I am going to really try to be good about drinking enough water from now on, though. Been slacking in that dpt...
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 01:14

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 207/151/142
BF:
Progress: 86%

Dear Glenda I have been on the Atkin's diet since October. I have lost 61 lbs todate. The first month I lost a little over 20 lbs. Stick with it it really works.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 10:03

BF:

Mpsp7 - WOW! Congrats on your awesome weight loss! thanks so much for stopping by to encourage me. Several people have told me I would lose weight really slowly because I have less to lose....that was a little discouraging, but I am determined to try even harder. Been exercising every day and drinking that water! I plan to stick with it and reach my goal even if it's not as soon as I'd like. Thanks to all of you for the help.

Glenda
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 13:37

BF:

Have a question, hope soemone can help me. Ever since my slip up, I have been super good - eating the right things even though the house is FULL of cookies and cakes and we went to my fave reteraunt this afternoon and everyone ordered ooey, gooey chocolate cake with fudge icing. I didn't have a crumb! ( ) Howerver, on the way I decided to run in Eckerds and pick up a low carb bar. It was small and the nutrition info claimed it had 1 gram. I ate it and was feeling pretty good about myself, until I got in a chat room and was told they often have hidden carbs! Yikes! I don't want to jeperdize my diet, so could anyone please give me the "skinny" (no pun intended.) on these things? Help would be appreciated!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 21:34

BF:
Default Low Carb bars?

Can someone help with the lc bar question? I'd appreciate it! Thanks!