Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 07:50

Plan: sugar busters (modified)+eat right 4 your blood type
Stats: 175/166/160
BF:
Progress: 60%
Question dairy products???

So...just as a matter of interest, does anyone have the story on dairy foods with LCarbing, specifically milk. I'm just interested as milk does contain lactose which I believe is a sugar (get thee behind me...). Does this tend to spike the insulin?

On an totally unrelated topic, as we all know, when LCing it is very important to keep up water intake. Has anyone given any thought to the type and quality of water we should be drinking? I know I have. Its a real shocker finding out what's in the water we drink?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 09:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/212/160
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Water Junkie

I can't offer any dairy advice but I do have some water input. I am serious water drinker. Even before starting this WOE I was drinking almost a gallon of water a day. I have found that bottled water tastes better (yes water definitely has taste). I don't know what brands you have available but some of the offerings here include water that truly has nothing in it. There is a debate about removing the good minerals with the bad things but I just know it tastes better. I also know that studies have said that most bottle water is no better (and in a few instances worse) than tap water. Personally, since nothing is labled and testing your tap water on a regular basis would prove troublesome, I would say follow your tastebuds. I think we have to be careful not to find excuses not to drink water.

For what it's worth.....

H
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 13:40
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 195/131/120
BF:
Progress: 85%

Unfortunately, milk does contain carbs - about 12 carbs per cup (whole milk). For coffee, heavy cream or whipping cream tastes GREAT and has only 1 carb per ounce. That's still 8 carbs per cup, but it is better. Your best bet is to take a calcuim supplement!!!

Anna
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 13:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 288/270/150
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default yes the milk thing

My husband loves his milk, drinks it every day, or at least used to before Atkins. What can he drink once a day that is simular to milk, to help him fill his need for milk? Oh by the way he is turning forty this year, and he still has to have his milk before bedtime Elaine
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 13:54
Registered Member

Stats: 128/128/114
BF:
Progress: 0%

i totally recommend using a water filter. the water in USA is not tested very well (in my opinion), the standards are too low, etc. where i live, our water comes from underground acquifers, so the chemicals people put on their lawns today may end up in our water supply in the future. NYC gets their water from a watershed, and water picks up lots of things along its path-
i use a britta water filter. it's decent. the best water filters i heard are the reverse osmosis ones. im not sure exactly what they are but i have a feeling theyre a few hundred dollars, and ill probably buy that when i get a job.
good luck.
i so wish we could have dairy (milk). i hate half and half or cream!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 21:08

BF:
Exclamation more on the water

Back to the water subject: I have really started to look into it and the results are a shocker! I now don't drink tap water at all because of the heavy metals, fluoride, chlorine, hormones (from pesticides) etc etc. Chlorine was used to gas soldiers in the first world war and flurine is used as rat poison.

Did you know that most of the "minerals" in springwater that the "experts" tell you is good for you is actually of the inorganic variety and therefore cannot be absorbed by your body anyway. They eventually trap in your body and cause problems later in life such as calcification of the tendons etc. When young, the body can get rid of about 10%, as we get older the rate drops to about 3%. That's 90-97% that the body can't dump.

Some of the most expensive imported spring water was tested and found to be worse than tap water! I have also personally tested double filtered water and found that the filters don't do much, mainly removing only the chlorine. Here are some of the test results I have found personally:
measurement is of dissolved solids such as heavy metals etc. in parts per million.

unfiltered tap water 100-270ppm
double filtered tap water (>1 micron 2nd filter/changed every 6mths) the same as unfiltered tap water 100-270ppm
reverse osmosis 16-100ppm (membrane change recommended ~ 3-5 yrs)
rainwater from a s/steel tank 4-17ppm (needs to have screens and gutters checked regularly)
distilled water 0ppm.

Obviously from these results distilled water is by far the best and safest as it has to be turned into steam in the distillation process. This will kill bacteria and virii. Next is probably rainwater, followed by reverse osmosis. In these 2 cases, it is highly recommended that you boil the water as I am told virii are small enough to get through the membrane.

So if possible stick with distilled water, your body will thank you for it. I know here in australia there are bottled water suppliers who make it, most likely also in your part of the world. You can buy your own distiller but the cost is fairly steep.

Hope this has been informative, it sure made me reconsider.

Oh, BTW happy easter all.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 21:55

Stats: 210.0/198.0/165 Female 5'5"
BF: entirely too much
Progress: 27%

Does anyone know if the water from a drinking fountain is filtered, or is it just the same stuff that you get from the tap? I drink tons of water from the fountain at work.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 09:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/212/160
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Water Fountains

Nine times out of ten the water in water fountains is not filtered, just cooled. An easy way to check is to get a cup of tap water and a cup of fountain water and see if they smell the same. As to the earlier reply about drinking only distilled water, well I am sure it is very healthy but it tastes horrible. It tastes "dead" if such a thing could be said about water. I just can't worry about all the things that may potentially harm me thirty or forty years down the road. How would I live? The air we breathe is polluted. The water has chemicals. The food has hormones. The vegetables have pesticides. I can't go to a deserted "clean" island and be healthy. So I try to take only reasonable risks. The benefits of drinking water, even water that has particles in it outweigh the disadvantages. Also, what else are you going to drink? Soda? Where did there water come from? Tea? Perhaps if I can lose weight, exercise, and continue this WOL then my body will be strong enough to deal with it all. Once it doesn't have to work so hard to deal with the complications that being overweight brings.

Just a few thoughts... of low importance.

H
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 09:32
Registered Member

Stats: 288/270/150
BF:
Progress: 13%

But what about the milk? Is there anything out there that can be consumed that remotely taste like milk? Powder, soy,whey, fake stuff anything from Atkins?
Elaine
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 09:20

BF:
Smile taste of water

G'day all,
replying to your last post Bansshee, on the taste of distilled water. The reason that most people notice the "taste" or more accurately the lack thereof, of distilled water is that our palates have become accustomized to the taste of the dissolved solids etc. and it takes a little while to actually "reacclimatize" to the real thing. It sounds weird but when drinking chilled distilled water, it tastes sweet. I have also noticed this when drinking chilled rainwater, but definitely NOT tapwater. As you rightly say, its a matter of personal choice to drink or not to drink DW.
I just thought it was worth mentioning the benefits seeing as how currently, bottled water is outselling soft drinks about tenfold. Obviously, there are a lot of concerned people out there. Anyway, if I made a choice to go out and spend money on bottled water it would be DW rather than spring water. The pricing is about equivalent.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 09:38

BF:
Default the milk thing - alternatives

Good question Elaine3. Maybe soy milk, but that tends to be high in sugar, and if not, i can't stand the taste of soy milk au natural. I was wondering about goat's milk. I know its much easier for lactose intolerant people to assimilate, does that mean it is lower in lactose than cow's milk?? If so, from the LC point of view, does this make it a safer alternative?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 18:11

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Goat's Milk

Checked Corinne Netzer's book and goat's milk has 11 grams of carb per cup. I do know that Keto makes a powdered milk substitute, but I've seen mixed reviews on it (haven't tried it myself). Some people love it, some hate it. You could also try a protein shake in place of the milk, but I don't think they'd taste very good warm.