Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 21:59

Plan: atkins,BFL
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default My strip is REALLY dark...a question...???

Hello Everyone!

I have been on the Atkins plan for 2 months now, staying around 20 carbs a day or less even after induction....very few cheats, but yesterday I gave in an had 2 crusty rolls and some jam. I usually use the strips everyday, drink plenty of water (around 80-120oz) and I'm usually showing a small amount of keytones, which makes sense with all that water. I have about 30-40lbs that I want to loose, but don't weigh in. Im hoping to just get into a size 9/10. My question is after yesterday (those rolls) I expected to test the strips tonight and find that I was negative, but instead, to my surprise, my strip turned a REALLY dark purple!! I have been very good today, and I tested at around 11pm, just before I was going to bed....does anyone have any input or answers to why that happened or did I just get lucky? I'll add too that I actually didn't drink the regular amount of water today (about 60oz)...would this have any effect also?? I know that the strips will be darker if your urine is more concentrated, but I was still surprised at the color tonight. If there is anyone out there that might have an explaination for me I'd LOVE to hear it!!

TS
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 22:16

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I think you've largely answered your own question. The strips are quite sensitive to water intake. They are also very sensitive to your very recent activities - like over the past several hours - so if you did things differently on that night than other nights that can account fo a significant swing. Also, do you normally test at night. If not, there's another huge variable. It is best to test first thing in the morning as that places a fairly consistent six to eight hours that are the same leading up from test to test.

Hope that helps.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 22:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hey TS!

Happy LCing!!

KC
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 08:10

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I have read that the darker the ketone strip is indicates dehydration. So if you say that you did not drink as much water as you normally would then that would be the answer.