Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 20:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Dairy Intolerance

I was diagnosed with a dairy intolerance way back in June, 01. In my ingnorance, I assumed that that meant lactose intolerance and since there is no lactose in butter or cream, I could have those products. I was informed by members of this board that lactose intolerance and dairy intolerance are not always one and the same!

Now I am trying desparately to follow the non dairy regime, but I am having difficulties with it. I just love the creamy taste of the heavy cream and butter. In fact, I now feel physically ill and because of the substitutes (Romano cheese for instance) I am retaining fluids to the point that I feel out of breath and my shoes are tight.

I am drinking all the water that I should, but I miss the dairy!

Question: Can I use the non dairy creamers? That would make my coffee at least taste like a rich dessert.

Help me solve this dilema, PLEASE!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 05:44

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Atrsy, I posted in your journal but decided to put here too in case its helpful to anyone else.
A search here on almond milk and coconut milk is interesting. and a lovely recipe from Karen on a coconut curry.

I bought a tin of blue dragon coconut milk ( some have cornflour in) and I plan to make coconut custard with it, but I'll try a drop in coffee and let you know.

I dont know about the creamers but £ to a P it wont be suitable..dont they have glucose ??I'll have a look when Im in the shop
No consolation I know , but Ive drunk black coffee for ages, once you get the taste of it you cant stomach milk or cream in it. But I understand how you feel sort of. Giving up caffeine, for me, was so terrible and I yearn for it
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 08:06
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

Usually it's the proteins in milk that cause intolerance problems in addition to the lactose sugar. The chief protein in milk is casein, and this is often the source of allergy and intolerance. Casein unfortunately is everywhere. I've seen many "non-dairy" products .. imitation cheeses, soy drinks, the powdered creamers, etc .. which state on the label that the product is "lactose-free" but if you scan the ingredients list, you'll see casein or casienate somewhere. Manufacturers sometimes even add casein protein to sausages and canned tuna!

Some people find that they can tolerate CLARIFIED butter .. because all the milk solids and protein constituents are removed, and only pure butter oil remains.

The powdered creamers contain hydrogenated oils (trans fats ) and corn syrup solids. Not a good choice.

I've used canned coconut milk in my coffee, and it's suitably rich. Make sure you find a type that's sulfite-free. Canned coconut milk has approx. 0.6g carb per Tablespoon (½ fl. oz) so comparable to dairy cream.

I've posted recipes for substitutes for whipped cream and sour cream, using silken tofu -- that are very low in carbs.Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 13:51

BF:
Default Thanks for the replies, Plum and Doreen.

I did buy non dairy creamer, but you are right, it has casein and also whey in it. How can that call this non dairy?

I don't think I'm ready for the tofu whipped cream yet. But I will try to find some coconut milk. But isn't coconut oil to be one of the worst where cholestrol is concerned?

If I ever get this whole thing figured out, I should have a degree!

I'll keep on trying. Thanks for the ideas.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 16:24
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Atrsy,

re - coconut oil ... It's a naturally saturated fat, like the fat in butter, meat and egg yolks. The killer fat is hydrogenated coconut oil or other tropical oils such as palm kernel. In their natural state, these fats are healthy and good ... but when they're hydrogenated, they are very high in harmful transfats. Canned coconut milk or cream (unsweetened of course) are NOT hydrogenated, they're simply the liquid that's expressed from the meat with more or less water added. There may be some preservative added.

Do consider the tofu recipes They're made with silken tofu, which is different from the blocks that you buy in tubs of water. Silken tofu is very soft, velvety texture and totally bland taste. When you blend it with other ingredients, it's very smooth and creamy tasting. Most health food stores carry silken tofu, it's sold in vacuum-sealed tetra packs.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 19:57

BF:
Smile Thanks Doreen,

Thanks for your advise. I've never seen silken tofu, but I will look for it. I'm always willing to try new things, (except for snails and insects).

I love coconut extract in my coffee, so I will definitely look for the coconut milk. That sounds yummy.

Here's another question for you that you may have the answer to. In the Eat for your blood type book, he says that Type O (which I am) is dairy intolerant and there is no good dairy for you, however he says that butter and mozzerella cheese and farmer cheese are neutral. Why would that be? Isn't mozzerella made from cows milk? I looked at the packages at the grocery store and they just said made from cultured milk.

Thanks again for your advise, Doreen. I appreciate all the help I can get!