Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 15:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/198/140
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default cooking with Pysillium husks ideas needed:

I'm looking for recipes and ideas on how to incorporate Pysillium husks into my diet. I can't bear to drink it in water(makes me gag) so i'd like to hear others ideas, suggestions,recipe directions etc.

Deb
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 14:33
Registered Member

Stats: 245.0/211.5/130.0
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default shakes, crackers...

I put a spoonful in my protein shake. It's actually great. It makes it smooth and more like a milk shake consistency. I also add a spoonful to my cracker recipe. When adding it to bread and such be careful. It will suck up any water and make things like saw dust. (with crackers you want them dry) So add it to your liquids first then you may need to add a bit more liquid to compensate.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 14:38

Stats: 226/198/140
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default recipes?

Fleadogs, can you direct me to actual recipes for crackers and such? I don't know where any good ones are. Actually i don't know where any such recipes are. Thanks for your help.

Deb
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 09:07
Registered Member

Stats: 245.0/211.5/130.0
BF:
Progress: 29%
Smile recipes

Hi Deb,

I hate to mention another site but they do have a great recipe library at http://www.atkinsfriends.com/ Here's my recipe for crackers if you'd like to try them. I can get more than 40 crackers out of this recipe but YMMV.
Fiberific Crackers
by Fleadogs

½ c. warm water
1 t. yeast
1 t. psyllium husks
1 pkg splenda (.5) (not for yeast to rise)
6 T melted butter (0)
2 T wheat bran (3.5 with 3 fiber)
2 T oat bran (6 with 3 fiber)
2 T gluten (2)
1 cup protein powder (0)
½ t. salt

powdered garlic
kosher salt

Add yeast to warm water and allow to dissolve. Add psyllium husks and splenda , set aside. In a large bowl add the wheat bran, oat bran, gluten, salt and protein powder. Gently stir until distributed. Making a well in the center of dry ingredients pour in butter and wet ingredients. Mix thoroughly until a dough forms. It will be slightly soft and sticky. If it is too dry, add a bit more water. Allow to rest in a warm location for 30 minutes. Note: dough will not really rise like a true yeast bread but this gives the dough time to develop flavors and for the proper texture to develop. Divide dough into thirds. If it is too soft to handle, add a bit more protein powder. Place dough between two large pieces of saran wrap. With a rolling pin roll on top of saran wrap until dough is thin. Peel off top layer of saran wrap and with a knife cut the dough into approximately 2” x 2” squares. This is size was chosen simply to aid in getting the dough to a cookie sheet. Place dough squares on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle with kosher salt and any chosen seasonings such as garlic powder. Place in a pre-heated 350 oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. You may have to adjust the baking time according to the thickness of your crackers. The thinner the cracker the crispier but a shorted baking time may be necessary.

Carbs 12g for entire recipe with 6g of fiber

Note: I add a bit of Splenda to help counteract the bitter taste of gluten. The choice of protein powder can make a big difference in your final product. For this I use Twinlabs Vege Fuel. Yes, it’s soy based but before you go yuck, it is the UNFLAVORED variety and I think they did a great job of neutralizing the soy taste.