Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 10:29

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default WHAT IS ATKINS KISS? Join and KISS today!

I Atkins KISS. I don't see a place for that here. We need a little place of our own...anyone else doing it? Don't know what it is?

Here's a link but don't read it like the bible...it's very tweakable and do NOT start asking me if this is allowed or if that is allowed. Decide for youself.

http://atkinsfanclub.freehosting.net/KISS/kissrules.htm

Or read some of these threads for a real mindblower - lots of people DO KISS!!!

http://lowcarbeating.com/cgi-bin/se...tartAt=A:000001

N
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 08:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 173/141.5/130
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Keep it Simple Sweetie

I've been folowing it since Monday and have lost 4.5lbs already! I was stalled for over a year.

Basically your eating only unprocessed, real meats, eggs, unlimited low-med carb veggies, and some added fats and spices.

You avoid all dairy, processed meats, artifical sweeteners, caffine and added chemicals.

All your carbs come from veggies and a small amount of eggs. This should help induce a state of Ketosis. Your daily caloric intake will be lower than Induction.

When you fill your plate, choose a normal size of meat, then fill your plate with vegetables. Snack on veggies with a small amount of leftover meats.Drink plenty of water in between meals to keep that full satiated feeling.

The lady that told me about this followed KISS by using the list of meat and vegetables that Dr.Atkin's listed in his book for Induction.

I enjoyed it and wasn't hungry at all.

Last edited by pixiechick : Sat, Mar-23-02 at 09:09.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 09:59

BF:
Progress:
Default YOU ARE DOING GREAT!

Wonderful!

You are doing great!

Don't forget to add fats/not TONS but some, your body needs them for so many processes including proper digestion!

Yes, I hope others follow too. I think people think okay, I'll low carb but I don't want to miss out on anything I used to have before so I'll eat all these "pseudo" or fake made to look like carby foods/cakes/muffins/spagetti - yet supposedly have few carbs----- manufactured or processed foods...and they DO have more carbs than listed most often or contain 'oses" (sugars) or citric acids that stall. HIDDEN carbs.

And you did do this to be healthier yes? Not just lose weight?
Using manufactured foods like Atkins' creates a dependency on that company for your food.

I'd rather be dependent on THE EARTH...more of a guarantee it's going to not go "out of business" anytime soon.

Also, you eat less when you KISS BUT because you are still eating your fats, you aren't hungry. I mean it's just easier to face and eat ONE plate of real food, than to TRY to limit yourself to ONE piece of lc cheesecake - yes? In the end you are getting more NUTRITION and when you meet your nutritional needs you are now a healthy functioning body that can do what it does when you eat less carbs/don't eat stalling ingredients - LOSE FAT.
3 cheers to you!!!

If it has an ingredient list/more than 2-3 ingredients most likely it's processed. Shop only the OUTER section of your grocerystore...all the REAL food is there, it has to be because it has to be kept FRESH.

Some canned food I allow, canned tuna/ but even then I check for starches (sometimes they use potato starch in the water!)...
I allow for Hellmans/no ingredients there I can't recognize and I also use butter and the very small amount of cheese/2 very naturally made and low ingredient number foods. I use flax oil/although must be processed TOO omega 3 healthy to miss and I also take vitamins - NO arguement there.

Nancy
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-02, 10:13

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Interesting thread. I think if you read around the forum, you will find that there are quite a few of us who have been advocating this approach to Atkins. Basically, the foods on the NO list are foods that Dr A says commonly cause stalls. I know that when I began this WOE, I ate the basics simply because it was the easiest way to handle it. I knew I couldn't go wrong that way. Presently, I'm working to clean up the food I eat even more by focusing on things organic....organic eggs, organic meat and organic veggies. I believe that I am worth the best quality fuel that money can buy. My food budget is a priority since without enjoying robust good health, everything else in my life suffers.

JMHO
Marlaine
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-02, 18:04
Registered Member

BF:

When I first started low carb at 173lbs I read Protein Power and followed that plan for a few weeks. It made a lot of sense to me and I enjoyed it very much. Altho I did find it a bit of a hassle with all the calulations. (I'm no good for that stuff.)

Then my sister started following the Atkins plan, so I read her copy then made a quick trip to the book store for my own. It was so simple to understand. I started induction and the weight came off and I was rarely hungry. I did a lot of research on Low carb and found many good recipes and snack ideas. I now have a
very nice Low Carb Library of my own.

My weight dropped to 140 but then I balanced out to 145. I've gone from a size 16 to size 6/8/9. Since August 2001 I've been stalled...losing the same 3-5lbs over and over again. Of course I cheated a bit too. Getting discouraged I guess.

Well summer is coming and I want the rest off NOW! So when I heard how another low carber from another BB followed KISS I thought I'd give it a try because my weight went back up to 152.5,( mostly fluid retension from Chineese food ) but since Monday I'm down to 148. YEAH!

I think I needed to give up the processed foods to get back on track. I'm drinking my water(8-10gl) and eating only fresh pure food! I really enjoy that. It's like my taste buds are alive again.
I think I'm going to make it this time! I just needed a good kick in the pants!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 01:21
Registered Member

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 148/125/115
BF:
Progress: 70%
Thumbs up thanx for the links

they were extremely informative. i am on neanderthin so i do not eat a lot of processed meat (i should eat none, but i do have bacon on the weekends). but i do eat nuts and a very small amount of fruit.

after easter i think that i will try the kiss plan and gradually reintroduce my nuts into my diet (i don't think that i can live without my chilli-lemon pistachios - still very natural, just seasoned with chilli, lemon and salt)

i really would like to reach my goal by my cousin's wedding in july
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 08:36
Registered Member

BF:

Hey karebear...Congratulations on your success! You only have 10 lbs left to go!

Moderation is the key to weight loss. For now I am staying away from bacon and other processed food. Altho when I get closer to goal I'll probably try to take some back slowly to see how I react to them again. But I do have a sensitivity to salt so I have to watch what put in my mouth.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 10:19

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 246/236/150
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default kiss plan

Hi everyone!! what a great supportive and informative site. Thanks for the info about KISS. I did not know it existed and now that i do, i will use it when i stall. Thanks and keep taking care of yourselves.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 12:19

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi, everyone.

N … I checked out the links you provided on KISS. I’m a vegetarian from way back, so I already eat in a pretty “unprocessed” way. But because I don’t eat meat, I could never give up cheese to do KISS, and even nuts and soy would be hard.

I understand the reasons for avoiding processed meats and such, but cheese, nuts and tofu? Can anyone explain why these would be considered “processed?”

Rhubarb
[a.k.a Barbara]
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 21:31

BF:
Progress:
Default Don't misunderstand...

No one, well almost no one lives a life where they can KISS everyday perfectly (just like you can't always Atkins perfectly every day some days).

Like any plan, we just do the best we can. Our INTENTION to eat REAL unprocessed or at least try to eat LESS processed foods IS enough to qualify as an Atkins Kisser. Just TRY, and you will improve your current Atkins diet...and knowing what stalls you will be MUCH easier to figure out.

Sometimes I allow small portions of very minimally processed foods due to lack of any other choice. But I believe in forgiving myself/even praising myself at these times for being able to be FLEXIBLE in certain situations. For example, no olive oil at the restaurant, okay, I'll have some ranch dressing...1 Tablespoon, no big deal.

Pick your plan and then DO IT YOUR WAY!

power to all of you!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 11:34

Plan: Atkins/PP
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Re: Keep it Simple Sweetie

Quote:
Originally posted by pixiechick
I've been following it since Monday and have lost 4.5lbs already! I was stalled for over a year.
Wow. What an endorsement. I've been stalled for three months. I was leaning toward something like this anyway. I may need to give this a try. With butter though. We all have our priorities.

It's so much more reasonable than a fat fast or meat fast as a stall-buster.

Allison
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 16:29
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

Let's make that 5.5!!! Yipee!!!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 21:31

BF:
Thumbs up WOOHOO!!

Congratulations Pixiechick!

I'm so happy for you! And I'm so glad you hung in there and let us know about it.

Do you have any sense what it was that held you back? Dairy or too many processed foods? And how long will you stay on this regime?

BTW - Does anyone know if olives are excluded from this plan?

Allison
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 09:25
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks allisonm...
I'm not sure what it was exactly that held me back. Maybe it was a combination of both.

Looking back I was eating too much salty breakfast foods, I would cook a large ham every second week, I had cheese 2 & 3 times a day and I used alot of sweeteners too. That's not counting diet soft drinks. So I really think I overdone it on processed food.

This is my 10th day following a combination of Kiss and induction. I followed Kiss the first 4 days, then induction the last 6. But I'm still not using anything processed. I'm sticking to pure fresh meat, eggs and veggies.I do enjoy canned tuna at times and I still use Butter, Mayo and cream sparingly. I'm going to add my extra 5 carbs at the end of induction...but I'm going to try to stay away
from processed food at least until i'm close to goal.

To answer your question about Olives...The paper I have on Kiss says," Even things like pickles and olives have preservatives. It's best to avoid those added chemicals."
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 14:31

BF:

Thanks for the info. I'm starting today. I have the extra added incentive of an interview for a job that I really, really want in 12 days, so I'm going to be very purist about it and even omit the butter.

I've been weighing infrequently since I started and I had a rude awakening a couple weeks ago in discovering my stall. I assumed that I had still been losing. Quite the opposite. I think what I gained is mostly muscle but I also have no net loss for the past 3 months.

The real problem is that once I realized how stalled I am, I let it get to me and felt defeated. Once defeated, I started to eat more and make worse choices. Now I need to break out of that pattern.

Anyway, I've started now and I'm quite optimistic about this method of discerning the source of the problem.

Allison