Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 12:53
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Cool Yo!

Hi! Sorry if this ends up being long...

When I quit my job and moved to another city to be with my long-distance b/f six months ago, I was eager to spoil him with my cooking. He was eager to spoil me with lots of wining and dining. We're very happy, but the price? Beer guts for the both of us!

I have a bit of an excuse: I was on depo-provera for a while, and the side effects were nasty. It's still getting out of my system. I gained about 30 lbs. I've lost about half of that with minimal effort, but that last 15-20 is pretty stubborn.

My b/f's boss has lost over 60 lbs on an Atkins-type thing. My b/f approached me with the idea of doing the same thing, and I'm all for it! I did it a few years ago and it worked for me - I'm a carb addict.

The only problem is his history of IBS and ulcers. He's had severe pain lately and he's waiting for some test results. He might have gall stones. I'll definitely make him talk to the dr before doing this.

At the very minimum, we'll minimize the carbs and cut refined carbs completely. In the meantime, I'm doing some reading and using up the potatoes, oatmeal and cream of wheat.

Good luck, all!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 16:06

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Kristine

Glad you've joined the forum. When you get into your low carb way of life, I hope it goes well. Get Easter out of the way first.

Have you got the book? If not, please do so, as it explains so much more than you can ever get from an excellent site like this. What you are proposing for your boy friend sounds sensible. I hope that the doc has positive news.

Once you get started, this site will give you lots of support, advice and information. We're basically a friendly bunch.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 18:50

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Greetings and welcome!

I, too, hope your b/f's tests come out well. You are definitely proceeding about things the right way.

You may well find that cutting back your carbs along the lines that you are talking about is all it takes. But, even if it does, look out for signs of yo-yo behavior.

Regardless, get at least one of the plan books as you will find it most enlightening and educational. Probably Protein Power Life Plan is the best for that purpose.

Best of luck!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 19:24
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Cool Bye bye IBS...

Hi Kristine,
Welcome to the forum!
Your boyfriend might be interested to know that my symptoms of IBS have completely disappeared in the three months I've been low carbing. Actually my partner's symptoms were worse than mine, almost constant abdo pain, and he is also free from pain and those other symptoms we won't talk about here.
In fact, IBS is the only reason he is continuing to low carb - his weight is normal. He "cheats" constantly with nibbles of chocolate and a beer or two but his symptoms have only come back once - after a big "do" for work when he drank lots of beer. (Loads of carbs in beer)
Good luck to you and your BF.

Rosebud