Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#301   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-05, 07:43
roll on the weekend!

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 208/174/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hey there
Scouring for low carb products in Tescos and found the following: -
Minted lamb kebabs (gorgeous) 0.1 carb per kebab (4 in a pack)
Southern Fried Chicken selection - 12 carbs per box (about 10 peices of Chicken) Omit the dip though
Simply the best red onion and mustard burgers - 6 carbs (huge burger)

I am however, unhappy that you find somewhere that does something that you can actually like and can eat and then the next time you go to find it, its no where to be seen. Its so inconsistent - and you can guarantee that the staff don't know about it.
I went into Tesco last week to buy a low carb wrap as we had some the week before and ended up arguning with the guy putting the sandwiches out as he was convinced they never did them! Typical!
Sponsored Links
  #302   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 12:42

Plan: Atkins AGAIN!!!
Stats: 265/257/161 Female 5 ft 7 in
BF:48/44/51
Progress: 8%

Has anyone tried the Absolute Nut bars by Jordan - Net carbs 5.2g but worth every one!!!!
  #303   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-05, 16:14
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

And a saml mention for my heroes, Weatherspoons pubs, who have now introduced LC wine! 2.2g per glass for red. I think it was 1.8g for white.
  #304   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 01:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176/150/150 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Bev64

Tell us more about the Absolute Nut Bars please - I haven't seen them anywhere.

Thanks
  #305   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 04:20
Lowcarber for life!

Plan: I wish I knew!
Stats: 248/224/168 Male 66 inches
BF:104%
Progress: 30%

Bengys have some nut bars called Go Lower Nut Bars. They come in chocolate, raspberry and coconut and cost 99p. About 3g carbs each. The raspberry is delicious!
  #306   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 07:38

Sure - I get mine from Sainsburys - also seen them in Asda and tesco - they are near the breakfast bars or near the healthy eating bit of the supermarkets - they are fantastic a real trear if you loves nuts.
  #307   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 07:52

Plan: atkins and low carb in ge
Stats: 175/153/145 Male 162
BF:
Progress: 73%

carb option bars are available from wilkinsons lol
  #308   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 14:24
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 217/159/125 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default New Products I've tried recently

The big Tesco Extra in Glasgow finally starting stocking some of the low carb products I've been hearing about. (Our smaller neighbourhood Tesco doesn't stock them and I doubt it ever will.)

We've tried the Tesco Carb Control brand pizza. It costs about 2 quid for a pack of two single-serving size pizzas. They're 9.3 carbs each. The crust is made with wheat flour and soy protein. It's quite like real 'thin and crispy' pizza crust. The spicy tomato sauce is what you would expect from a supermarket pizza. My main complaints are that the pizza only comes in one flavour and that it has hardly any cheese (10%). The flavour is 'pepperoni', but there's very little of that. The toppings are mostly onions and peppers. I don't know why they don't have a 'meat lovers' style pizza, with more cheese on it, as that would be lower in carbs. I can't eat these without adding extra meat and mozzarella, but they sure are good to have on hand when that Saturday night pizza craving hits! They're stocked with the other ready-made pizzas (fresh, not frozen).

Tesco also has Heinz Carb Check brand Fusilli. It's three quid for 500g. Yes, that's a lot to pay for pasta, but considering you get six servings from a bag, it's not outragous. This stuff is 11.4 carbs for a generous 75g serving. (Once you add sauce, meat, mushrooms etc. it's a full meal.) It's made from wheat gluten, wheat starch, soya protein isolate and semonlina. We really like it. It's got the texture and flavour of whole wheat pasta (from what I remember - haven't touched the stuff in two years). I think they ought to also market it to vegetarians because there are 39.5 grams of protein in a serving. I can't imagine why anyone would buy the much higher carb Carb Options brand pasta when this stuff is available. It was stocked with a bunch of other low carb products on an endcap near the back of the store.

Finally, I went to Boots a few days ago and checked out their low carb section. I saw their Locarb brand croissants and couldn't resist. These cost two quid for a package of four normal sized croissants. They're 9.2 carbs each. The first ingredient is butter! They've cut the carbs by using wheat gluten and soya protein isolate. They're not as flakey as I would like a really good croissant to be, but they're soft and tasty (all that butter). I slice them and put them in the toaster and they come out great. These were stocked in the section with the low carb bars and shakes.
  #309   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-05, 14:32

My local Asda has Atkins quick cuisine on offer at £3.56 - hell of a lot cheaper than teh LC onl;ine supermarkets . Not bad to make pancakes for a change for breakfast
  #310   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 09:24
roll on the weekend!

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 208/174/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Prepare for rant!!!!!

Surprise surprise 3rd time trying in tesco's for the Lowcarb Pizza after having it a few times and there is no sign of it. we asked at Customer Services and they said they didn't think they would be stocking it any more. It drives me mad - you just think people are starting to take us Low carbers seriously and realising that we make up a huge chunk of the market and they they withdraw any products they put out.

Arghhhhhhh!

Rant over
  #311   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 03:25
Lowcarber for life!

I will have to check my local Tesco. They can't stop making low carb pizza, it's my favourite LC food!
  #312   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 13:03

Plan: Atkins(maintenance)
Stats: 154/128/128 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I looked for it on the Tesco internet shopping and it has gone, SO has the low carb yogurts and Carb Options range.
I am gutted about the pizza,it was the first low carb pizza that tasted like the real thing
  #313   ^
Old Thu, Apr-14-05, 15:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 153/138/126 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default Low-Carb Shop

I'm assuming everyone knows about the Low-Carb shop in Fulham Road...? It's called 'Eat Rite' (208 Fulham Road...get out of Fulham Bdway Tube and walk left for about a mile; alternatively take bus...can't remember which one, but the shop's on the main street anyway).
  #314   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-05, 11:57
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 217/159/125 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Cheese and apples sausages

Our local Safeway recently transformed into a Somerfield, so I went to see if they had any sort of low carb foods that the other supermarkets don't do. The one thing I found was Somerfield So Good brand Somerset Chedder Cheese and Bramley Apple Sausage. They're around £2 for a packet of 6. They have 2.1 carbs per sausage. (By far the lowest of any cheese and apple sausages I've seen.) They're delicious!
  #315   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-05, 14:22
Lowcarber for life!

I went to the big Tesco near me and no sign of the low carb pizza. But they had low carb quiche and all the heinz range. Plus I found Carb Control Belgian Chocolate Ice Cream!! Mmmmm! I ended up eating the whole tub (500ml) for lunch! The carbs were not bad (8.2 for the tub) but those sugar alcohols are really starting to affect me!!

Also, I tried a few Sainsburys and no sign of Atkins bread either!

Looks like it going to be back to online ordering and even higher prices soon.